Is it possible to install an aftermarket HU in a G35c?

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Micah
Car: cars, car audio, motorsports

I read somewhere that the stock HU has a climate control PC board in it, so removal of the stock HU will screw-up the climate control. Is this true? I want to be able to install aftermarket gear.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

HU?

Micah

rydwhite wrote:HU?

head unit

rydwhite

Ah, brain freeze.

Hmmmm.... I'm not really sure. I haven't heard of anyone taking it out and installing anything aftermarket, but I am sure that it would have been done by someone. What did you have in mind as an install?

Micah

rydwhite wrote: What did you have in mind as an install?

Alpine IVA-D900

rydwhite

Let me check a couple of places and I'll get back to you. I'm think you should be able to do an install like that, but I'm not positive.

rydwhite

Here is a write I found from someone who put in a new head unit and stereo system. I've seen the pics and it looks really good. It explains about the circuit board and controls. I hope this helps out.

"Long post, sorry....

Well i finally decided to install my double din, i was gonna wait till I got the other metal bracket but I couldnt stand it. Ended up not needing the other bracket so that will take off about 40$ off the price. No real issues other than some slight modification to the bracket, didnt have any problems with windows not working. Oh yeah I dont have NAV, dont know if I can help you guys that do. Remember to remove the CDs from the bose, I didnt and had to plug it back up after I removed it to get them, and DONT FORGET to set your air controls to both zones or youll be screwed.

First of all, it sounds 1000% better, I cant believe how much of a difference it made, before there was static and some cutout at high volumes ( i had to go to 20+ to get enough volume to sound decent) but now 12 or 13 on my alpine 7995 mp3 player is well enough. Probably due to the 4V preouts and the alpine MX media expander, Its much cleaner and clearer, bose put out a distorted signal, and my JL components often sounded overpowered and rattled, now I can keep turning up and it just gets louder and clearer, man m getting goose bumps, and even my 6X9s sound terrific, and I can control my MP3 changer with my radio. With my time correction and EQ set, man does it sound good, gotta get my subs finished now.

Now for installation. Sorry no pics except finished project. You have to take the dash apart, PITA, then remove the radio, air, bracket. Hard as hell unplugging everything because not much length. Remove the metal bracket from dash about 6 screws. Remove the radio/ac from bracket. If you swap dual zone buttons, you have to take off the circuitboard and remove the button, not difficult. Take out the nav/empty compartment in my case and swap it over. Remove the air ducts/swivel things and swap them over. The new AC Controller screws right in. My alpine (probably most units) bolted right up to the factory bolt holes in the bracket, so did the pocket. EXCEPT the pocket didnt come up as far as I wanted to the dash and alpine so I redrilled the holes to slide it forward. Then I had some ABS lying around so I filled in the gap between the radio and pocket with a small piece I superglued in, cant tell at all.

Now for wiring, I had previously ran BAT and GRD from my battery into the dash for my FM Modulator so I used that, for Illumination I tapped into the factory radio harness for that, its a Red/Blue wire on the main harness, then for Accesory, I again tapped into the same harness this time a light green wire. I ran my RCAs under the rear seat, removed my center console and ran them under the carpet, under the console, up and behind the radio, along with my changer cable, and remote wire to my amps. I had to run a few other things, I kept my FM Mod for future DVD/TV mod. Thats about it.

Now that the radio/AC/pocket/NAVcompartment/air ducts was all installed back on the bracket I had to wrestle it all back in. The hardest part of this whole thing was cramming all the wires and crap back into the hole, I had my Modulator, TV brain, 4V preout box, and the old radio/ac harness which is a bunch of wires. Plug in the RCA, radio harness, antanna, changer, DONT FORGET THE NEW AC PLUG. Then push it all back in and install things in the reverse order. Then sit back and drool like I did."

-- From Someone else, somewhere else

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”