Is it oxymoronic to put all-terrain tires on a 2WD?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
orchidbetty
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi guys,

I had my first flat tire this morning while driving to work. To clarify, I have had @4 flat tires in my life, but this was the first one I’ve had while single and without roadside service. I had a choice to call my ex, or try and do it myself. :whistle:

For context, a flat tire is a minor inconvenience for most guys, but it is panic inducing for most women. I was stressed, sweaty, dirty, embarrassed, and not sure exactly what I was doing, but trying to pull it off. :ohno: Anyhow, I couldn’t get the <bleeping> lug nuts off. Thankfully, two men passing by took pity on me and took over (they also struggled to get them off too).

I am shopping for new tires I needed to buy anyway. Is it oxymoronic to put all-terrain tires on a 2-wheel drive vehicle?

Most of my driving is highway miles, 35MPH - 55MPH. We have some country red dirt roads, some gravel ways, light grass and mud driving, and minimal (mostly packed) sand driving. But I don’t go off-roading, or anything extreme. There are some pot-hole-y dirt fishing spots, but that’s only a few times a year. Also, I live in a tropical area with sun and rain, and more rain. No snow, ice or sleet.

I’m leaning towards the AT tires but I don’t know if this is a knee-jerk reaction because of what happened today. I don’t want to be stranded cause I had “less meaty” tires but I also want to be practical.

Also, Did anyone notice a difference in gas mileage going from all season to AT?

Thank you for your recommendations!

2018 Rogue SV, 32K, 2WD, Automatic trans,

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I actually bought all terrains last July 1st. It was definitely oxymoronic feeling when buying the road hazard certificates because all terrains are more puncture resistant than ordinary tires. So I was actually wondering why I was buying extra protection.

But I always had bad luck with nails so I ended up buying the road hazard certificates from Discount Tire.

Personally, not worried about gas mileage but expect a 2-3% reduction in miles per gal. Gas is cheap to me at least. Fun fact, cost of a barrel of oil reached its lowest around the beginning of the pandemic.

I did it mainly for looks and durability.

Sucks you have to buy 4 certificates because it is tire specific but they did give 1 free for the trouble.

First impression was it felt more floaty and absorbed the bumps on the road really good. Did the chalk test and it’s contact patch was optimum at 33-34 pounds.

My previous were sporty Nitto Performance Tires which actually gave me bad mileage. So it will probably be the same. I actually inflated those 36-37 pounds for a decade but lately 38-40 pounds. So I felt every bump. Lolz.

The oem continentals gave excellent mileage. Probably double my Nitto’s.

There is a slight hum with all terrains but I listen to the radio a lot and it really does not bother me.

You got to pay to play, but you’re joining the big boys rocking the trucks and jeeps on the road. :woot:

But you do feel more secure on the road with these sturdy tires. Just get what you like out there, some tires are lighter than others which was personally one of my requirements.

Good luck. :mike

I have a first gener awd.

:domo:

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

orchidbetty wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:38 am
Hi guys,

I had my first flat tire this morning while driving to work. To clarify, I have had @4 flat tires in my life, but this was the first one I’ve had while single and without roadside service. I had a choice to call my ex, or try and do it myself. :whistle:

For context, a flat tire is a minor inconvenience for most guys, but it is panic inducing for most women. I was stressed, sweaty, dirty, embarrassed, and not sure exactly what I was doing, but trying to pull it off. :ohno: Anyhow, I couldn’t get the <bleeping> lug nuts off. Thankfully, two men passing by took pity on me and took over (they also struggled to get them off too).

I am shopping for new tires I needed to buy anyway. Is it oxymoronic to put all-terrain tires on a 2-wheel drive vehicle?

Most of my driving is highway miles, 35MPH - 55MPH. We have some country red dirt roads, some gravel ways, light grass and mud driving, and minimal (mostly packed) sand driving. But I don’t go off-roading, or anything extreme. There are some pot-hole-y dirt fishing spots, but that’s only a few times a year. Also, I live in a tropical area with sun and rain, and more rain. No snow, ice or sleet.

I’m leaning towards the AT tires but I don’t know if this is a knee-jerk reaction because of what happened today. I don’t want to be stranded cause I had “less meaty” tires but I also want to be practical.

Also, Did anyone notice a difference in gas mileage going from all season to AT?

Thank you for your recommendations!

2018 Rogue SV, 32K, 2WD, Automatic trans,
I believe it makes perfect sense for a vehicle that looks a bit "off roady" and is operated off paved surfaces, like your Rogue.
It is also true AT rated tires are a bit more resistant to puncture.

My recommendation is to stay away from extreme ones though.. like anything thats rated MT (mud terrain, a more extreme off road set up), which will affect for your handling= control (less sure footed and less mpg on roads.)
And some AT tires may also be "too offroad" for your set up..

An affordable AT rated tire that still is smooth on road is the Hankook ATM Dynapro, they are excellent in the rain in my experience (I have them on an Xterra).
I also consider them a "mild" AT tire which I believe is appropriate for your driving environment

Here is an fairly complete discussion about tires on a Pathfinder (which like a Rogue is also a crossover.. at least in that model year). while the sizes will be different for you of course the general considerations may be comparable.
This discussion ultimately ends with the Hankook Dynapro ATM and pics are on page 2

Its not on Nico but on a Nico owned/operated site:

(please let me know if you can see the pics while logged on from Nico)
https://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic ... 44&t=17450

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'll concur with all that's been said already. Great advice from Casper and Palmer!

(I also love the Hankook Dynapro ATM tires and have them on two vehicles).

orchidbetty
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV

Thanks guys! you've talked me into it! :chuckle:

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

I looked at the Hankook website - the Hankook ATM Dynapro doesn't come in the 225/65-17 size on the 2018 Rogue SV. Make sure you have the clearance to fit whatever you select.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Return to “Rogue Forum”