Is it ok to make the oil ports bigger while doing headwork

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

Since SR's have a lot of problems with not enough oil getting to the head. The machine shop asked if it was ok to slightly make the oil ports for the cam journals bigger by like 1/millionths (whatever measurements). Will this affect overall oil pressure and performance. Has anybody done this? I'd say it "should" be ok, but you never know till you ask or do.

Thanks

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

I think that Codyace just bought some oiling tubes (the ones over the cams & sound like what you're talking about) for a SR20DE (i think). The holes were slightly larger than the factory Redtop SR ones. I used to have the thread (with link to the tubes) in my favorites, but when my old computer died, my internet favorites weren't a part of the data transfer. Try PM'ing him, I'm sure he'll tell you. I'm sure that slightly enlarging the current holes wouldn't effect pressure too much, but should increase flow. Just make sure they clean them really well. I think Codyace bought the new tubes just bc he was concerned about the old ones being clogged with gunk from the years.

Lobo240sx

The cam squirters too but the actual oil galleries that sit under the cams pictured. I'll look into the SR20DE Sentra Cam Squirters and see what they look like. I don't plan on using any top parts off my busted blacktop head except for the valves and springs which only had 20k-30k miles from the factory. The machine shop guy about shiaat in his pants when he saw my busted head with mint valves. They don't even have any carbon on them yet except the exhaust side which is normal. You can still see the factory stamp lol.

My redtop head which I am going to use already has new rockers, lifters cam oil squirter tubes. I might just get them to make those bigger?? Why the hell did Nissan make those so small?? It is a turbo car lol. I know it was 20 years ago just saying.

homeslicej2

Ah! I see I confused what you were asking. For some reason, pics on NICO never load on my home computer, so I can't see them. I don't know about that though (why they made them small)

Lobo240sx

I'm going to tell them to enlarge them some. I saw a built block from Mazworks and they had the oil flowing like crazy on the cams. A lot of people's head end up like mine so I'm going to try and fix Nissan's glitches hehee. :biggrin:

Lobo240sx

Here is some updated pics.

homeslicej2

Did you have them enlarge the holes some then?

Lobo240sx

homeslicej2 wrote:Did you have them enlarge the holes some then?
Yes sir, the cam journal oil ports were enlarged one size up. I'll have some more pics this weekend. :biggrin:

Lobo240sx

Last weekend of course it rained for the first time in like 3-4 months. We had a few "showers" here and there, but that one was a soaking that we need. My Mom's brakes were acting funny as well. Got new front pads on da 5spd 96 Maxima. :)

Now, on with the pics. I put the head on. Installed the Mazworx head studs, with a Tomei 1.2 HG. The instructions said to install the studs block side dry so I did. Need some grey silicone to put the water neck on and coolant side. I put some copper compound on both sides of the head gasket. That b**** better not leak either lol. More pics to come . :D

OM3GA
Car: A Sexy Mobile, 1993 Nissan 240sx 180sx Hatcher

That head and head gasket sitting on the ground make me cringe. I would be curious if there is an oil pressure change after over-sizing those.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

OM3GA wrote:That head and head gasket sitting on the ground make me cringe. I would be curious if there is an oil pressure change after over-sizing those.
I wouldn't put the head on the ground, but the head gasket being there won't hurt anything as long as he makes sure it's clean before he installs it.

Lobo240sx

The head is fine. I only put it there for a picture. Before the pic, I had it stored on top of my spare block. I cleaned it all up before installing.
The oil pressure shouldn't be that bad, we will see since I gotta be the guinea pig around here. ;)

Doesn't matter, it is in the car now. Now I have to deal with getting the old Cam Sprockets and bolts off the busted cams, and some other random things. Hopefully this weekend I'll be driving this beast again with a ported head and shred some tires 265X35X17's were spinning by 3500 rpm's before the head work. Traction may be my new issue now. :D .

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Looks good, but please move the vacuum lines closer to the head... (OCD)

Lobo240sx

Oh that will be next is to zip tie everything. I had to rewire my Hayden electric left fan. Thought it was the fan at first.

Ended up being the wiring. I have a switch for the fans as well.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”