Is it leagal to have SR20DET swap in Illinois?

Including IL, IN, KY, TN, MI, and OH
Jfob
Car: 91 Toyota Pickup

Hi

I just moved from california and wondering if it is leagal to swap sr in to 240 here in illinois?if it is not, how does ppl deal with it here?seems like smog has to be done at state? service center.

any information is appriciated.

thanks

LingeringSuicide
Car: 1990 240SX hatchback 1993 240sx Vert

Technically its illegal in every state because the engine was never produced for sale in the US and was not tuned for emissions standards that we have here. With that said though it wont stop most of us from doing the swap. It just depends on how big of pricks the cops in you area are. Though i might be wrong.

wynnEZ
Car: 90 240 CA POWA!

Lots of people have SR swaps in Illinois. You'll be fine.

PEANUT21
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

I live in IL and I have never had to have my car smogged, but it may be different depending on where you live. I guess just check around and see if there is anyone around where live that has one and how they got around it.

v6z24e
Car: '90 hatch, sil front & redtop

My close friend has a '91 with a SR20. IL used to test everything, then a few years ago they stopped testing pre-OBD-II cars. so...if you get a '95 or older you are safe, they just don't bother trying to keep old cars efficient (cost the state too much to test them, not enough on the road, takes longer to test, ect.) If you are doing a '96+ swap, you will need to get it tested. I don't know for sure what the laws are in that area as far as swaps. It my have to run the oem pcm. it may be able to run an aftermarket as long as the OBD system work and you don't trow codes. Ask you insurance agent or better yet go to a testing center and get the brochures on it, they can help you the most.

Broadfield
Car: 1992 240sx

It might also depend on where you live in Illinois. I have lived in many decent sized cities in Illinois, and there has never been any type of smog testing for any year of vehicle that I have owned. I have never lived in or around Chicago though. If any location in Illinois were to test for smog, it would be Chicago first.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

v6z24e has it right. IL EPA got rid of all their OBD1 equipment, so anything pre Feb 1995 is smog exempt. So the only thing tha could happen would be a requested visual inspection by a patrol officer, but I've never heard of that happening for an SR in an S-chassis car. If you shoehorned a VQ45 in an s13 and ran open headers with 22" wide Mickey Thompson slicks and wheelie bars out the back and were doing 1/4 mile runs at 160mph up I-355 in the middle of the night, then you probably will get impounded.

But you'd deserve it.

v6z24e
Car: '90 hatch, sil front & redtop

Encryptshun wrote:v6z24e has it right. IL EPA got rid of all their OBD1 equipment, so anything pre Feb 1995 is smog exempt. So the only thing tha could happen would be a requested visual inspection by a patrol officer, but I've never heard of that happening for an SR in an S-chassis car. If you shoehorned a VQ45 in an s13 and ran open headers with 22" wide Mickey Thompson slicks and wheelie bars out the back and were doing 1/4 mile runs at 160mph up I-355 in the middle of the night, then you probably will get impounded.

But you'd deserve it.
to be fair....you'd probably get away at 160

chad300zx1990
Car: 93 nissan 240sx right hand drive

dont worry about it man, nothin will happen, hopefully

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

When you post-whore for classifieds access, putting up sh*tty posts like that, you bump your sh*tty post to the top of the thread listing.

Thereby calling attention to the fact that you are a doosh whoring for classifieds access.

GTFO

Return to “Central Region”