Is it just me... or 240 trannys don't like hills??

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

Sup guys. I've been having this strange experience. (93 240sx SE Manual Tranny) After climbing steep hills, my shifting would be totally strange, Gear one is really hard to get into and third gear grinds everytime I shift into it even with the clutch pedal all the way down and shifting into 3rd gear slowly. Anyone experience similar problems?? Oh the symptoms go away after a few miles on straight road. Thanks guys.

apex_240sx
Car: car performance and high end car audio

i've never experienced this problem, but i'd definitly check out your tranny gear oil. you may need to do a tranny flush. try that, and if you still have troubles, then take it to get it professionally checked.

Silvia007

I was going to check my gearbox oil but then the problems went away and I didn't get around to doing so, I'm thinking of changing it this weekend to some synthetic type and see if that will solve my problem. Thanks for the reply.

1991240xs

synchros

trpower7

Kind of a long shot, but I think you are really low on tranny fluid. My guess is that when you go up a hill it all sloshes down to one end of the tranny and it takes awhile to get back into all the gears after you straighten out. This would require you to be VERY low though, because as soon as you went back down the hill the other end would get lube too, kind of evening it out. But fluid is the first thing I would check.

JinNjuicE

how do we replace synchros? do we have to open the whole tranny to replace them?

trpower7

REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. Find one in a junkyard with low miles. Cheaper and easier, rebuilding a tranny is a biatch for certain.

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

trpower7 wrote:Kind of a long shot, but I think you are really low on tranny fluid.
Long shot? Sounds like a quite reasonable explanation actually. That'd be the first thing I'd check.

Silvia007

I've checked the gear oil today. Yep, no oil after removing the fill cap. So I drained whats left of it and put in some Amsoil Series 2000 gear oil. This time, filled it all the way up so it's pouring out of fill hole and screwed everythign back in, haven't had the chance to go back to that hill but will definately go back later to see what happens. Thanks guys.

trpower7

That should do it for you. I ran my diff without fluid for close to a month (and like, 10 burnouts) before it even started whining, so I wouldn't worry too much. Hope it works!

Silvia007

Well, the symptoms didn't come back but then now it's happening again and this time, it's not going away... damn it. Now where in the world can I find a 240SX Tranny in Minnesota. I've tried all the junk yards already, it's like they are all stripped clean of 240's. Anyone has one for sale, let me know!!!

Silvia007

Well, the symptoms didn't come back but then now it's happening again and this time, it's not going away... damn it. Now where in the world can I find a 240SX Tranny in Minnesota. I've tried all the junk yards already, it's like they are all stripped clean of 240's. Anyone has one for sale, let me know!!!

ONe more thing... if it's syncros, it'll grind every time right?? I mean why would it do it just some times, an also, will there be anything bad if I overfill the tranny?? I mean I haven't but I might do it from the shifter because if I fill it through the fill hole, it would just leak out. Thanks guys for all the suggestions previously.

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

I filled it through the shifter because it was much easier, but to keep from overfilling I took the fill plug out of the tranny so the extra would leak into an oil pan. Overfilling a little won't hurt you, but it won't do you any good either, so I figure filling it to stock level is best.

Julio Bro!
Car: 1993 240SX SE, manual tranny, Stillen intake & strut bar, Magnaflow cat + custom cat-back, NISMO sus

Try a flush and refill with MTL lubricant from Red Line. I had some grinding downshifting 4-3 and this fluid eliminated the problem.

The flush is important as you might have some debris making things rough.

If this doesn't work, I'll say the synchros might be in trouble.

trpower7

Ok, a couple things don't make sense here. The fill hole is used for...........(drumroll)..............filling the tranny!! You can fill through the shifter but measure out the amount first. In any case, if it is low on fluid replacing it will help somewhat, and if it is REALLY low this could fix your problem. RedLine MTL is FANTASTIC, I used it for a few months, then changed my clutch and forgot to put it back in so now I'm on regular stuff, there is a difference for sure. And your tranny can actually work even with teh syncros gone if you learn to double-clutch (search the internet for it). I wouldn't be in a panic just yet........

Silvia007

Thanks TRPOWER... I'll definately search on how that double clutching works. If anyone's nice enough to post a link or to explain in this post, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”