Is 8K too much for this NL320?

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Dogwalker

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Datsun truck scene and am interested in any opinions about the ebay listing below.  It's a '64 NL320 and has had extensive work including custom air.  I am seriously thinking of purchasing it and have communicated with the owner and wonder if any of you would like to weigh in with your opinions... Kindest regards, and happy motoring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=016

Item number: 260252316441

Thanks again.

Larry

odpl_happy

It is a beautiful truck, and I am sure you could not buy one, restore it, and do the modifications like they did for that money.  if I didn't already have 3 NL320's, I would be very interested.  8K is not too much.

Dogwalker

Thanks for your thoughts and I just need to add another $1150 for shipping for a grand total of around $9150 for the truck.  Still think it's a good deal?

IMH

Now, this is just me, and it's just an opinion, but 8k is too much for any 320.  But, in this case while yes, it's nice, but it's been modified to the point where it's really not a 320 anymore per se.  I would consider paying that much for a pristine, original, showroom fresh looking, stock NL320 but not someone's custom.  Before anyone says it, yes, mine is somewhat custom.  But it's my work, not someone else's.  JMO.

odpl_happy

There is probably a large difference between having the only road driven Nl320 in Georgia, and one of a few in California.  and, since you can't buy one in Georgia, one has to buy off of ebay, craigslist, etc without being able to pick and choose.  The guys on the west coast have their pick of Datsun's, they are all over the place, so they get to be fussy, but if you live somewhere where they isn't any, then buying a runner, that has been rebuilt by others, isn't such a bad idea.  It all comes down to what it is worth to you.  I had a friend just pimp out his Dodge truck, the bling probably cost more than this, so if you want it, can afford it, then buy it.

Dogwalker

Thank you for the insight and I agree with your assessment of the purchasing situation here in GA.  I have sent the owner a message after communicating with him this weekend, and have yet to hear from him.  We are trying to settle on a price, which is 8k per his suggestion.  The truck is nicely done, but I would think not overly so.  Have a great evening.

Dogwalker

Does anyone know of truck out there for sale, just in case the transaction doesn't work out?  Thanks in advance!

Dogwalker

Here is a picture of the truck.

odpl_happy

For your information, I bought a stock NL320 from the Ebay seller in 2006, and he was a very good person to deal with.  I have also bought a few parts from him, and he was fair.  I went and picked it up in person, (over a week trip), but with the price of Diesel today, I am not driving anywhere this year.

Dogwalker

Your picture says it all!  What a great shot.  Where was it taken?

odpl_happy

Picture is from Payson, Arizona, after I hauled out of Phoenix because it was just too hot.

did you see this one?

Ebay Item number: 330245470893.  It wasn't up very long.

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

That's the second time for this truck, it went for $4050 the first time with a buy it now of 10k but didn't sell. I emailed him to nicely tell him he was nuts with the reserve. Now he's out the cost of the second listing and sold at a lower price. Either that or he came to terms with the original winner.

Dogwalker

Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately the auction for the silver truck ended early with someone choosing the buy it now option for $8500.  Oh well.  I guess I will not be buying an NL320. 

Happy motoring.

Larry

mklotz70

That one behind the Dodge could be the twin to mine :)

Return to “Datsun 320”