Iridium plugs. yes or no?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

hello to anyone who answers my question. i have an 83 280zx 2+2 turbo. she is stock bsides the magnaflow muffler on there. i was wondering about the spark plugs. i know the oe is a basic copper plug from ngk and dont see a problem with that but i was wondering if if there may be any benefits from going to the iridium plugs that ngk has to offer. yes im sure it may have been asked many times by others but finding those can be a pain and would like a answer here. if you ask what im looking for id say more of a reliability and good throttle response with a little bit of idle clean up. other then that not really looking for much since she is stock and plan on keeping her that way.

thanks to whoever may have the answer im looking for

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Haven't tried the Iridium plugs, but I have had platinum plugs and have been impressed with their performance and longevity.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

There is no performance gains to be had from spark plugs, the more expensive materials have to do with extended electrode life. Platinum's last longer than copper, and iridium lasts longer than platinum. This is a real benefit for cars like the 350Z where changing plugs are difficult and time consuming to change. Also I believe stock would have been Nippon Denso, now just Denso, NGK's are good quality as well, I prefer Desno's as they are actually made in japan, the NGK's you buy in the states are not make in japan.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”