iPhone interface

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Armstrs
Car: 2009 Infiniti g37 convertible

So, I was not going to post this thinking it is probably a "no duh". But, what the heck. It might save someone a little grief. I was excited about the iPod interface but I immediatley noticed that I could play music from my iPhone but it would not charge. The issue is that apple changed the power connection on the new 3g and 3gs phones. Turns out there is an easy solution, both griffin and scosche make an adapter that goes between the iphone and the firewire. $29 online. Bestbuy does not sell them yet but Fry's has the Scosche one. I went with Griffins because it is a little smaller. Of course it ticks me off that the iPhone cost me another 30 bucks but what was I supposed to do? Anyway, hope it helps.

Rondog
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible

Thanks for the info - I put a 4th generation IPOD Nano in mine. It played music, but would not charge. Best Buy sells the Scosche now for $29.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Rondog wrote:Thanks for the info - I put a 4th generation IPOD Nano in mine. It played music, but would not charge. Best Buy sells the Scosche now for $29.
hmmmmI have a 4th Gen Nano and it charges fine. Video works too!Try upgrading to the latest SW

Rondog

Are you sure you got the 4th G Nano? I have read elsewhere that the wiring was changed - this was not a software change. I will check this out when my car and IPOD get back from the shop (window leaking problem).

bschurr

Rondog wrote:Are you sure you got the 4th G Nano? I have read elsewhere that the wiring was changed - this was not a software change. I will check this out when my car and IPOD get back from the shop (window leaking problem).
OOPS - apparently my Nano is 3rd Gen not 4th.

I get all my apple stuff from my kids as hand-me-downs. So, when they got the iTouch last holiday I naturally assumed that I got the latest & greatest generation of Nano. Appraently, my kids duped me! Someone is gonna get a

toplessG
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible

The Apple stores (and online) sell the Scosche Passport for $24.95. I plugged the passport onto the included cable and connected it to my iPhone. It now charges and plays, problem solved!

ToplessG37S

Thanks guys! Just got my new topless G and was kinda bummed that I couldnt charge the 4th gen Nano and iPhone 3G. Will pick up the adapter tomorrow!

Anybody happen to know if we can sync the address book / contacts from the iPhone 3G to the car via bluetooth? When I try to download the address book from the car, it says to go to the phone & "send the address book" and enter the code 1234. How do you "send the adderss book" from the iPhone 3G? I can't find any way to do that.

Thanks for any info. Great forum, great cars!

db74
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37x coupe

Thanks for the good info. I got a Scosche passPORT charging adapter for my iPod nano (4th gen), and it works! Plays songs and charges. Only $19.99 at The Source in Toronto. Also available at Best Buy and the Apple Store. Will also work for the iPod touch (gen 2) and iPhone 3G.

ebcolema
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37S Convertible, Premium, Nav.

I don't think it is possible to sync address book via bluetooth on iphone. I've been searching for a way to do it for a while now. It is a shortcoming of the iphone, not the car. Evidently apple decided that bluetooth transfer was something customer would just have to do without. Seems odd considering it is a fairly standard feature on most mid-upper end cars these days.

jsweaz

Has anyone considered re-routing the iphone/ipod interface up to the ashtray area? I would love to make a 'dock' so that I can just easily dock my phone instead of having it sliding all around the console between the seats.

I found this: http://stores.homestead.com/2p...l.bok but it is not only expensive, but ugly.

Something that would allow the iphone to sit like this would be PERFECT!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I'm sure a stereo shop could do something like that!

drivefast
Car: G37S convertible

jsweaz, man that's a great idea! i will definitely take my car to a shop for that. i'll let you guys know how it came up.

my experience with the iphone is kinda mixed so far. it seems that for a while everything's working as expected when my iphone is connected, but after a while the browsing thru the songs list becomes slower and slower, up to the point where it takes literally minutes for a page up or down. the whole center console software locks up, including fm and xm radio and any other menus, and the only way to get it going again is to stop and restart the engine. (yeah, anybody remembers that joke with the microsoft car?...) i asked the dealer, and apparently i do have the latest version of the console software installed, but their research took about 10 minutes and i have some doubts that they really looked into the issue. however i would not, at this point, totally blame it on the infiniti software: i was using a somewhat unorthodox version of the iphone OS, so i will let you know in a month if this still happens. fwiw, the phone is an iphone 3G (not 3GS), and the dash is the one without nav (but *with* xm, if that makes a difference).

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

The ipod/phone(3g+) have interesting sharing capabilities despite a proprietary connection in the center console. After so many requests my dealer started stocking those and we now have several instock and apparently go through a surprising amount.

I personally find it interesting/kind of funny that someone here mentioned that the Apple store actually sells Scoshe adapters....why is that so?

I keep an old (2nd gen) Nano around to test customer complaints, but I haven't updated (it will NOT be connected to my computer again, it made a mess last time that took months to clean)it in two years and it just sits at work, but I would personally keep a second ipod just for music in my car. It's much easier to leave it in the center box and never think twice about it. Well I would update it as needed.

The Bluetooth connects wirelessly and the car starts without a key, why still plug in your digital audio device?

bschurr

SteveTheTech wrote:<snip>

I keep an old (2nd gen) Nano around to test customer complaints, but I haven't updated (it will NOT be connected to my computer again, it made a mess last time that took months to clean)it in two years and it just sits at work, but I would personally keep a second ipod just for music in my car. It's much easier to leave it in the center box and never think twice about it. Well I would update it as needed.
Preceisely how I roll...

jsweaz

To charge it.

I have stereo bluetooth audio streaming set up for my car, but it's a pain to use the cable to charge it... this is why I wanted the iPhone dock in the ashtray area.
SteveTheTech wrote:The ipod/phone(3g+) have interesting sharing capabilities despite a proprietary connection in the center console. After so many requests my dealer started stocking those and we now have several instock and apparently go through a surprising amount.

I personally find it interesting/kind of funny that someone here mentioned that the Apple store actually sells Scoshe adapters....why is that so?

The Bluetooth connects wirelessly and the car starts without a key, why still plug in your digital audio device?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

J you have a 2010 don't you?

The '10 is different the got rid of (finally) the ipod only port for bluetooth streaming audio and a usb port.

I actually like the ipod dock and if I were an iphone user I would think of getting one.

Installation of that shouldn't be too bad (depending on where the box goes and what it ties into).

I have been using streaming bluetooth audio in my car for years. I love it and wouldn't go back to cables. I live in the DC area though and they are working on legislation to ban cell phones while driving (for good reason) so I put a Parrot MK in my car and another similar one in the wifes car.
jsweaz wrote:To charge it.

I have stereo bluetooth audio streaming set up for my car, but it's a pain to use the cable to charge it... this is why I wanted the iPhone dock in the ashtray area.
I am actually surprised the iphone supports streaming (from what I have read the phone only supports seriously limited BT interaction).

jsweaz

No... I have a 2009. I have the ipod only port. I purchased an iSkin CERULEAN RX (bluetooth receiver) which was about $50. It has an iPod 30 pin female port, USB port and standard RCA jacks. Unfortunately the Infiniti Stereo Unit doesn't acknowledge that an iPhone is connected when using the RX with the iPod 30 pin port hooked up to the car's iPod port, however, this is necessary to give the RX it's power. I simply connected the RCA jacks to the G37's AUX RCA ports.

http://www.iskin.com/ceruleanrx/

I've had no issues when the top is up... but on occasion with the top down, the music streaming chops every so often. This probably has to do with the fact that I'm keeping the RX inside the center console instead of somewhere it would have better signal strength. I still would be interested in the hard-wired port located near the ashtray.

I'm out in the Fairfax area.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

That is an interesting solution. How is that battery life while streaming and how does that device work with the factory bluetooth?

I can imagine that there might be some interference if the phone is connected to two separate devices through two difference means. If that is the case it would actually be kind of interesting. Now that I look at that in print it makes a little sense that it might work, the iPhone has a very simple BT profile so there shouldn't actually be much of an issue.

I do not think that it would be the cars fault that these third party devices are not working (I have hooked my BB8330 up and had great success, with everything except the !@#$%^*& ipod port) Apple is real suspect when it comes to sharing things (even over their terminals). The stock cable (just the factory cable) has the older firewire orientation and secure data line (or whatever they call it, some type of verification line) is required to transmit their information. I considered buying a C37 until I realized the troubles (and lack of options) when it comes to replacing the ipod interface (like totally out, just like my laptop).

The RCAs are an option but I an > than impressed with the analog audio. There is no data shared over rca and the controls are useless. However as an avid Pandora user the thumbs up/down require the use of phone but if your BT enabled device supports the option push and controller profiles you should be able to interact with it. I have yet to see specs on the 2010 G but now I am very curious....

As for the 2009, I really like that car and would buy one, if it fit my needs for a car. It seems like they are a love it or hate it car. I personally can look past some noises or a slight window leak the cars' roof does stow in the trunk. And having worked for MB I know this is not the only car that might require adjustments after time.

I can see Fairfax from my house

jsweaz

Pandora is exactly why I wanted it. All the music on my iPod can already be stored on compact flash or in the music box. Battery life isn't horrible with the bt enabled on the ipwn(pun intended) but it won't last hours and hours!

When the RX is connected to the iPhone, the car connection drops and vice versa.

It's kluge but it works.

You know... You can see Russia from Alaska!

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

That makes more sense.
My headphones do the same thing while streaming media they cut/pause whenever audio is commanded for an incoming message. Which gets annoying when in a IM debate.

So with the A2DP streaming sending to one device it pauses and drops then reconnects to the car and rings?
The device sits in the center console and requires little to no attention.
Sir, I think you have found an ideal solution to a common problem.
I know several people who will thank you for that.

I can see it from space too.

But actually it doesn't seem like you can see it from land. On either coast. The distance seems to be about 90 kilometers. Then I was actually just curious, huh. I learned something new today.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”