Iphone 3GS Or 4

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Az24tsx

Hello all I currently got offered the choice of getting either a Iphone 3GS or Iphone 4 and I'm currently Undecided. I like the shape and design of the 3GS and like that its been out for some time and has had the bugs "worked out". Also i dont like buying new devices at release date since they havent had time to work out bugs or glitches so that one reason im against the 4, another reason would be of the so called death grip which causes the phone to lose signal if its held a certain way, which is the basic way you should hold a touchscreen phone IMO,. Well im just basically ranting and asking for ppls opinions who have used either one thanks in advance ans sorry if this question has been asked

scaramoche
Car: 1989 Nissan Pathfinder

I would go with the 3gs, the 4 has a serious issue with the antenna. The antenna is build into the case, and has to be held a "special" way allow it to work, this is a design flaw, and no code can correct it(ie it deals with physics). According to apple a rubber bumper will help correct this(but still mixed results). Also there is a bug with the code for the power indicator that tells you you have good reception, but in truth you do not(this can be corrected via a code/patch update).

In theory the 4 has better tech, but the fact that it has connection issues kinda negates them. Perhaps in a few months apple will correct the hardware issue, and in this case I would purchase one.

On a side note, you may find a good used 3 on craigslist, saving the cost of a dysfunctional 4/contract, untill the 4'r's or fixed.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Consumer Reports Retracts iPhone 4 Recommendation
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... k-gsm.html

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The big thing to keep in mind is that the iPhone 4 hardware is what will be used as the basis for future iOS updates. That means the 3GS will likely be left behind. From what I understand, the 3GS already has problems with some iOS4.0 features, and it's likely to only get worse from there (4.1 is currently in the works).

Otto.

Neither. :gapteeth:

But seriously...

asnorton44

ctrucks

I had some people saying that they have better reception with the iPhone 4 than with other phones before, but I still have my iPhone 3GS and it is working fine. If you want to take the risk, go for the iPhone 4 otherwise the iPhone 3GS is also a great.

asnorton44

Rumor: iPhone 5, iPad Mini, New iPods Coming

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-ipod ... -7696.html

Return to “Computers / Electronics”