Inverted Subs

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
S-14boy
Car: 1998 Nissan 240SX SE

I usually do my own installs on my systems and for my friend's too, but now my friend wants me to put in his subs, but he wants an inverted set up. I haven any idea how to hook it up, do u just do it the same as if it wasn't??? Or do u have to switch the polarity of the speaker wires, like put the Neg wire in the Pos connecter and visa versa??? Could some one give me some advise please.

Woodmister

Yes, you do reverse the polarity....

RatedR
Car: my beautiful young asian schoolgirl wife! Hehehheheeh, yes, its a "field trip". Yeah, a &q

Another thing is that you have to make the box applicable to a flush mounted speaker. you can't just put in the sub flushed (inverted) on a box that's meant to have the unit mounted in the correct way...

S-14boy

Oh yeah I realize that the box has to be made to fit the inverted subs, so im making a custom one. But is that all there really is to it????

Woodmister

Some MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) at Home Depot, caulk to fill the seals for an almost airtight seal. Also some wood screws (1 every 2 to 1 inch) Wait about a day to run the sub (allow the caluk to dry). Carpet it to make it look, and acutally sound better. Also make sure you have the right cu feets, also dont forget to add the subs displacement (how much air space the sub takes up) you dont have to worry about that if your inverting the subs, you can actually make the box a LITTLE smaller...

S-14boy

Can I build a ported box or does it have to be sealed??? This is not going to be my first box Ive build, check out my boxes in the "Pics of Trunks" post. The speakers Im doin are the Alpine V12 Type R 10", r my friends M Coupe, but in the Alpine Manual it says you can do a free air set up how much is it goin to take away from performace of the subs? What do you guys think of free air set ups??? Just curious.

deezyperformance
Car: r/c cars video games

Do not run a free air setup alpine type R woofers like small sealed and medium ported. Free air is more work than it's worth

S-14boy

why do u say that deexyperformance, to be honest I dont know too much about a free air set up, Ive never done one

InstantRice

there is a whole post on free air subs in this part of the forum

S-14boy

oh ok thanks

machinehead

have him get the baskets on the subs chromed :D

S13Owner

pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject, but why would you want inverted subs? in what way would the sound be different? thanks, just wanted to learn more about acoustics.

Woodmister

Theres not really a "advantage" to inverted subs. You can build the box a little smaller than norman, since the subs are not taking up any space in the box (displacement), second if you have some nice looking baskets like the Audiobahn Flame Q subs that you wanna show off, then you would invert the subs...

InstantRice

too bad audiobahns are all looks no sq. The place retardedly high numbers on spl. But once again to bad they sound like farts

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”