Introduction and Question - Connecting a Zune media player???

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
Dogman
Car: Infinity FX-35

Hi all, I just bought a 2005 FX35 with only 16k miles! We love it.

It doesn't have Nav/DVD, it does have the Bose system. I would like to connect a Zune media player via 1/8" or RCA (to play audio). I was thinking there maybe DVD wiring under the console that I would be able to tap into?

And the obligatory pics:

Modified by Dogman at 5:10 PM 4/8/2009

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hey there Jon, that's a great looking FX. That color combination you have there is perfect. You guys should really enjoy it, Welcome to Nico

Someone else that uses a Zune, omg I thought I was the only one.

Check out something like this if you are interested in full integration. If you are not using your satellite radio. If you are planning on installing/activating satellite adding an input switch that will sense the audio input and switch between the inputs.

Click for more.

The Zune is the only unit used in my house and I plan on getting one of these for the MRSs RSX at some point. I use the tape deck, which works pretty. Depending on your production date you may or may not have a tape deck, if not you may need go with something like the unit above. They are pretty easy to install seems like a direct plug and play setup.

GL and if you get something like this please post pics and a review.

Dogman

Thanks for the reply. I will check out that unit.

Now if I could get the brakes to quiet down on that first back-up out of the driveway

BTW, I love the fact that there are forums for FX owners. I come from the Jeep world and I love having such a great resource!

Dogman

Bummer, I just realized that unit is only applicable up to '04. That's the type of unit I'm looking for otherwise.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Dogman wrote:
Now if I could get the brakes to quiet down on that first back-up out of the driveway
You may have a some rust buildup on your rotors from sitting on the lot and being exposed to the elements. Depending on the severity of any rust you may be able to remove it by heating the pads and rotors up. (see the procedure below) This isn't a standard just an example most areas require adjustment in distance or speed, please obey all posted speed limits.

Accelerate to ~50mph Apply the brakes at ~3/4 pressure to a complete stopDrive for 1/2 mile or so without applying the brakes to allow the brakes to cool slightly Accelerate to ~40mph and apply the brakes at ~1/2 apply pressureIdeally after two or three of these any light surface rust will be cleared

The brakes may also make noise is they are dry pads or non OE pads.
Dogman wrote:BTW, I love the fact that there are forums for FX owners. I come from the Jeep world and I love having such a great resource!
The FX online community is slowly growing and Infiniti is just starting to realize the benefits of this type of group. If you have any questions feel free to post them here or you could email any of the staff members and well help you out. Feel free to check out some of the other sections of this site, there are many random conversations going on here.
Dogman wrote:Bummer, I just realized that unit is only applicable up to '04. That's the type of unit I'm looking for otherwise.
I'll look into this. I really do not know that there is much difference between the 04 and 05. They do not know all the model specific coverage. A quick of example is when I was searching for a new radio for my car I found that the radio from a 95J30 is the same as a radio from the 99Pathfinder that was covered so technically 90% of the radios from ~94+ actually might work. If your truck has satellite radio enabled you will need to find a Y connector that works with something like Axxess XIO-I01. I have had a few dealings with the company and their customer service and tech support suck but their products seem to work for some.

If you were thinking of using an FM modulator don't count on it. You would be better off going with a tape deck adapter and charging cable that plugs into the power outlet.

Dogman

SteveTheTech wrote:
You may have a some rust buildup on your rotors from sitting on the lot and being exposed to the elements. Depending on the severity of any rust you may be able to remove it by heating the pads and rotors up. (see the procedure below) This isn't a standard just an example most areas require adjustment in distance or speed, please obey all posted speed limits.

Accelerate to ~50mph Apply the brakes at ~3/4 pressure to a complete stopDrive for 1/2 mile or so without applying the brakes to allow the brakes to cool slightly Accelerate to ~40mph and apply the brakes at ~1/2 apply pressureIdeally after two or three of these any light surface rust will be cleared

The brakes may also make noise is they are dry pads or non OE pads.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try and heat the brakes up a bit and burn off any surface rust that may be there. I'm leaning more towards the pads from what I've read, but I'll give that a shot first.
SteveTheTech wrote:
I'll look into this. I really do not know that there is much difference between the 04 and 05. They do not know all the model specific coverage. A quick of example is when I was searching for a new radio for my car I found that the radio from a 95J30 is the same as a radio from the 99Pathfinder that was covered so technically 90% of the radios from ~94+ actually might work. If your truck has satellite radio enabled you will need to find a Y connector that works with something like Axxess XIO-I01. I have had a few dealings with the company and their customer service and tech support suck but their products seem to work for some.

If you were thinking of using an FM modulator don't count on it. You would be better off going with a tape deck adapter and charging cable that plugs into the power outlet.
Definitely not wanting the FM modulator I did find this unit on eBay - seems like an option. I don't have satellite and I don't plan on it, so I should be ok to use that input.

Dogman

I just thought I would follow up since I got my brakes to stop squeaking.

First attempt was to grease the shims and the brake cylinder. No luck.

Then I pulled the rotors off to get them turned. Come to find out I didn't have enough to get them turned down. They looked fine, but looked a little glazed.

I picked up some new semi-metallic pads and hit the rotors with emery cloth.

One thing I noticed when putting the new pads on is that there is one odd-ball pad that has a second metal tab. When I was reassembling the brakes I used the old pads as a reference for where to use this odd-ball pad. When I put it together I noticed that that "extra" tab seemed to hit the torque member. It certainly seems like that could have been the cause of the squeak (metal-on-metal). That was the wheel that was squeaking.

I moved that pad from the outside to the inside of the rotor and it looked to have clearance for the tab.

No more squeak. That could have been due to the tab, the pads or the rotors. I just wanted to share my experience.

Dogman

I finally found some write-ups about installing an auxillary input: http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic.php?t=1457

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Sorry I missed your updates,

Taking emory cloth to a fresh rotor is something I do not ever think I have seen someone do on their own. I thought I was the last person who still did that.

The Extra tab on the brake pad should go on the right inboard pad. That is if we are talking about the one semi thick piece of metal that acts as a wear indicator. The OE pads have a metal tab on each pad that is used to apply a slight amount of reverse pressure on the pads to separate them from the rotor.

That is a good article although if you do this can you post a few pics so we can make an article like that as we try not to link to our neighbors. Any you could give us here would be greatly appreciated our articles department has been lacking some good FX articles.

I'm very glad to hear that you are enjoying your FX.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”