Intro/ Cross platform conversions?

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
northstar ninja
Car: 74 260Z, 92 240sx hatch.

Hi, I'm new to the VIP forum, but not to modified cars. Perhaps I'm just getting old, but I'm starting to shy away from the loud, gutted cars with no A/C or other amenities. I really like the modified, yet luxurious style associated with VIP cars, and they're far more "practical." I'm going to sell my s13, and (possibly) my old s30 project to fund a VIP build.

I'm still up in the air about what platform to use. I would love to do a new M56, but that build would be way out of any realistic budget. So it boils down to a q45 (fyg33), lexus gs300/400, or a m45 (y34 or y50). Obviously, the lower the initial cost, the more customization can be done...

Obviously, each platform has its benefits and drawbacks- I've been reading this forum's readers rides, and the VIP style forums.

I've been going a bunch of research about various platforms- And sort of got confused with the all of the various chassis codes and corresponding models in Japan and the US.

So heres the question: How different is the chassis architecture of the FYG33 M45 (US) to the Y33 Gloria?
The reason being that the quad light setup in the Gloria is sexy. IMC makes an aero bezel and hood that makes it even sexier. I was wondering if it was possible to put a Gloria front end on a M45, without completely hacking up the front of the car to make everything work. Fabbing up some different brackets isn't a big deal, I'm just hoping it isn't completely different. (ie due to US crash safety standards)

Is the y33 M45 engine (vh41de) very different from the previous gen vh45de (engine dimensions) I was wondering if the older motor could be used, as I'm guessing the 95+ are obd2. I plan on doing some light engine work- to be able to keep up with the BMWs and Benzes.

Last thing- I remember reading somewhere that the (fgy33) m45t has the quicker ratio steering rack, and longer final drive- can anyone confirm this?

Constructive ideas/criticism is appreciated.

owinbush
Car: 1998 Inifinit Q45
2009 Nissan Cube

First things first.

I think you may be mistaking your chassis codes with model names.
G50= 90-96 Q45
Y33= 97-01 Q45
F50= 02 to 06 Q45
Y34= 03-04 M45
Y50= 2006 to current M35/45

I think you may be asking whether the y33 cima (us q45) exterior parts are interchangeable with Y33 gloria/cedric exterior parts. The answer is probably yes with some minor modifications, but i'm not sure of anyone stateside who has attempted the conversion.

A word of caution......All of the usdm Nissan VIP platform cars are a little bit of a challenge to deal with suspension wise. Coilovers are becoming more and more accessible and some of the rear parts are interchangeable with s chassis bits but getting the true hard core VIP stance is gonna take some energy if you want to do it right. Definitely don't want to discourage you or bias you against Nissan, but you should definitely know this before you start your project.

northstar ninja

Yep, that's what I was asking. I love the 4 round light setup on the Y33 gloria. I like the q45(4.1) taillights over the previous Q's. (No trunk reflector/light) looks cleaner. But i'd prefer the v8 (vk45de?) Out of the late model Q/M 45.

I didn't care for the sgtock (f50) Q... but I've changed my mind a bunch as I've seen the members rides and really nice examples...

As far as suspension goes, if iirc someone said there's a writeup for using front s13/s14 suspension and knuckles... that would work temporarily till I bag it.

Out of curiousity, my coworker said that bags acutally have a decent ride to them- but the car he refrenced was a vw. For you guys running air suspension, what do you think of the ride and handling characteristics? Obviously, the primary purpose is for the slammed stance, but it'd be nice to have a nice ride and decent handling since its a lux car...

owinbush
2009 Nissan Cube

There is a write up....and I've done the s chassis conversion on my own 98 y33. Definitely a doable mod and works with bags as well maybe even better than bagging the stock y33 suspension. I'll try and find the link. I know its on VIPStyle cars. For some reason I thought it had been posted here as well.

Ride quality will vary with the shocks you use. I'm riding s14 NISMO coilovers on my q and they are a little harsh but mostly because I have to run the bag pressures higher than I'd like because the car sits too low otherwise.....a problem I don't really mind having. LOL. As soon as a roll and pull the fenders it'll prolly get much better since I'll be able to run less pressure.

owinbush
2009 Nissan Cube

There is a write up....and I've done the s chassis conversion on my own 98 y33. Definitely a doable mod and works with bags as well maybe even better than bagging the stock y33 suspension. I'll try and find the link. I know its on VIPStyle cars. For some reason I thought it had been posted here as well.

Ride quality will vary with the shocks you use. I'm riding s14 NISMO coilovers on my q and they are a little harsh but mostly because I have to run the bag pressures higher than I'd like because the car sits too low otherwise.....a problem I don't really mind having. LOL. As soon as a roll and pull the fenders it'll prolly get much better since I'll be able to run less pressure.

northstar ninja

If you can post a link that'd be awesome. I'm debating getting a newer car, as well its newer, has more luxuries, more power, in theroy better fuel economy...
The q45 (g50) is really sweet modded. I'd like to do a subtle eyebrow on the headlights- it'd look very R34 skyline ish.
I've been looking up prices for the y33, f50, and gs300. I REALLY like the y33 cima front end, especially with the hood/bezel kit.

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Omari makes some great points. I applaud you for wanting to do research. That seems to be a lot of people's issue. They just pick up a platform and ask what's the cheapest route to go. I've had my Q45 for 4 years now and still don't have done to it what I'd like. Money has been my issue, and I've gotten some great deals on parts. Once I get myself in a better financial position, I vow to make mine clean as hell. Hopefully that will be sooner than later. My recent hiccup was acquiring an LS400.

Anyways, good luck on whatever route you choose, and check in with us as you go along. I see a nice build thread in the future.

Welcome to the VIP Forum.

northstar ninja

Thanks for the welcome, there's a lot to be learned. Personally, I enjoy doing reasearch on anything I undertake. I'd rather gain as much knowlege as possible and (try) to make the best possible decision for my goal. Since I'm not independantly wealthy, making wise choices is imperative. Unfortunately, I've had my share of projects that couldn't be completed due to financial issues... I figure a nice VIP build can be done gradually/practically, with minimizing down time.

I suppose with age comes wisdom...

Return to “VIP Forum”