intrested in pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
hayabusa master
Car: In process of buying one

Hi im new. well anyways i'm intrested in buying an 1987 nissan pathfinder. The guy wants 895 dollers for it. he says it's got 140,219 miles. It's the six cylender. it's auto. 4x4. And black. First i hear nissan can take high mialage so is that many ok. What kind off problems come with this car. What kind of milage does it get. How often do the u joints need to be replaced. is it worth 895 dollers. I have yet to see it so i don't know about the phiscyal condition. What kind of mods are avalible for it. i would like to do the intake headers, cat back, and maybe the cam. Well basicaly anything you could give me would be great.

max_stryker
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Okay this is first gen pathy. it is a 3.0L V6 TBI. timing belts on 87-89 models are only supposed to be good for 60,000 miles, so this should have had a timing belt replaced twice already. as per the high miles my r50 (97) has nearly double that. my 1995 has almost double that and my 89 has about 200k on it.

the u joints dont ever need replacing...this isnt a jeep. you NEEEEEED to check for rust in the following locations for sure:drivers side floor panelrear wheel wells on the frameunder the back seatson the frame where the 4/5 links are mounted

mods available for THAT truck can mostly be found at Automotive Customizershttp://www.4x4parts.com

this is the same motor in the 300zx so think of motor mods like its that.you can get exhaust stuff through AC

and just an FYI on the price - i paid $100 for my last TWO 1989s and $300 for my last 87...all running when i got them. so id offer the guy between 650 and 750 cash for the truck

if less maintenance has been done...like timing belt was never changed, bring up the possibility of that breaking as soon as u leave the lot/driveway and thats a pricey job...so try and bring up negative points about the truck (rust if any is a good one) to lower the price

trucks can always be fixed LOL good luck if you have any more questions just let me know

hayabusa master

Thanks for the advice. As soon as i get my tax return back, and a little more cash. I'm goign to go check it out. Yeah i'm going to try to drive the price down some. Also i'm in an auto shop class. so repiars aren't really i big deal. we have everything you can image. One more question whats your insurence like.

max_stryker

when i was younger i drove fast cars and got pulled over alot...i have nearly 60 or so JUST speeding tickets on record. i insure 5 vehicles currently and to break it down, id have to say my 89 is around 120/month. its VERY CHEAP for a 2 door

hayabusa master

well fortunatly i'm sevteen. So the title will be in my moms name. So i will still have multi car, safe driver. and good sdudent so i'm hopeing 70 or less amonth. Oh are there any spots were it rusts bad need to be replaced immeditly.

max_stryker

yes if you read my first post the most dangerous part of the rust there is the rear frame (in the rear wheel wells) and next would be where the links connect to the frame

then next would be the floor on the drivers side because the exhaust flange is right there and carpets can catch fire

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”