Intermittent rubbing noise when I brake on my 2004 FX35

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
townster
Car: Infinity FX35

It's coming from the driver's side front wheel area. It doesn't happen consistently. I can't seem to create the conditions that cause it. It doesn't really sound metal to metal - more rubbing than grinding. The only time it occurs. though, is when I brake.

I've taken it to the dealer twice and they can't get it to do it (presuming they really have worked to find it which would require them spending time driving it). So, I'm stuck. I don't find any posts that seem to address my issue. Is their anyone who has an educated guess on the board?

The car has 21,400 miles on it and has been services regularly by the dealer.

Thanks,townster

NISTECH

Brake Noises can be misleading sometimes. A noise you think is from the front is actually coming from the rear. Having someone listen to the noise outside the vehicle is the best way to isolate the location. With that said, There was a TSB on the rear brakes for the FX for a "rubbing" type noise. I however dont know if it applied to 04 MY vehicles. I know you said you cant always create it, but my suggestion would be to swing by the dealer if it starts happening during the day and ask for a tech to go for a quick ride with you. I do this all the time with customers. It makes the repair process much easier when the customer demos the noise first hand to the tech. It also reduces the time you are without your car. If you keep taking it in and they keep not verifying it. That is alot of down time you probably really cant afford. I have some customers that come in and ask specifically for me to ride with them when they have odd noises with their cars.

markchr
Car: 2003 Murano

Hello

I have a 2003 Murano w/40k miles and I havea similar problem with a crackling noise coming from the right rear wheel. This noise only occurs when I hit the brakes lightly and going around 5 MPH. When this first occured, I had my brakes serviced by the local Exxon dearership. The problem still presisted, took it back, and they couldn't see anything wrong with the brakes - I don't think the service guy looked beyond the brakes - not sure what else he would have looked for. Anyway, does this smack of the same symptons you experiened - were you able to find a solution.

ThanksMark

GixxerSteve
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35, 2003 Infiniti G35

I had an issue a few months ago with my 2004 FX35 making a vibrating noise ("wop wop wop") from the front end while braking. It would only happen around 25mph while braking from a higher speed. If I pressed harder on the brakes, the vibrations would stop, so only with moderate pressure would it happen. Anyway, after having this problem for over a month, I took it to Infiniti of Tucson and they said it was warped rotors. Since it was covered by warranty, they gave me a loaner G35 and fixed the issue. Since then I've had no problems.

diogenese

I have the same problem with my 2004 fx35, and have had it for several months. Took it to dlr who milled rotors, which he said were slightly warped. However, same problem persisted right of dealer lot.

I also have approx 20,000 miles.

My problem also occurs only at low speds, especially when braking lightly below 20 mph, but, it seems, then also remains sometimes even after releasing the brakes. There is zero doubt its coming from some part rotating in synch with the wheels, and the rythym of the noise is perfectly synched with rising or falling wheel speed...and like you guys, it seems to go away at higher speed (or perhapsd I just can't hear it anymore due to road noise?)

Does NOBODY have the answer of what is clearly a design or mfg defect?

GixxerSteve
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35, 2003 Infiniti G35

Infiniti has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on front brake judder on 03-04 FX's. http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ow...3.htm

Other FX owners have had this issue fixed by Infiniti. I don't know if it will keep happening to you, but you can keep going back to get it fixed.

spiff666
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35

did anyone find a solution to this problem?

my 2004 fx35 (35k miles) is doing something very similar to what is described here. its very intermittent - happens every couple of weeks. (so, its impossible to demonstrate to the dealer). ingredients seem to be decelerating, light braking, and a bend in the road.

the dealer just replaced the brake pads and resurfaced the rotors - but it happened again...

thanks for any insight.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”