intermittent no start

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
The_caveman
Car: 93 nissan 240sx hatch(daily build)
1992 Coupe (drift build)
1990 240sx hatch(wrecked slut)
2008 hyundai sonota - girls car/reliable! i drive it better tho ;)

mine wouldnt start at random times and it turned out to be the relay...that relay also caused alot of random fuse poping the cap on it was busted from where a previous owner unbolted it and let it bounce around the bay. where it was busted it would ground out on the car...fry fuses sometimes wouldnt start...as soon as i replaced it and bolted it up problem gone

Nashville91s13
Car: 91' s13 240sx hatch

Mine will also sometimes just click when I use my Viper alarm's remote start so I'm guessing it's not the ignition switch since I'm not using the key. I also located the ignition relay and the inhibitor switch relay so I guess I'm going to move on to those if it gives me the dreaded click again. I may also jump the inhibitor switch relay as I will when I put the 5 spd in and see if that does anything. I know the inhibitor switch can go bad.

Nashville91s13

Any updates? mine did it again this morning......

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Have someone start it the while you're looking at the grounds. If you see sparks that your bad or insufficiently connected ground. Double check by pushing it in while it starts.

Nashville91s13

Since it will sometimes start and sometimes click when I use the remote start on my alarm....is it safe to say that it's not my ignition switch?

Nashville91s13

Just grabbed a wire brush and cleaned my grounds....CLICK.....shoot me. When it starts I can hear the bendix spinning down like it doesn't disengage from the motor. Bad solenoid? I called my family mechanic...he specializes in electric...he said that it's either the connection or the starter. I also called my buddy that lended me a hand putting the starter in and he told me he dropped it when i went in the house to get something.....could the shock of being dropped cause my situation?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

It could.

danshaz82

well i have a brand new starter in mine. so idk if it could be the starter.
and it still does it. but since i cleaned the grounds, it only takes 1-2 trys instead of 3-4. so i feel like it is something with the grounds.
ill check the chassis grounds next time i get a chance to get in the garage.

Nashville91s13

Mine seems to do it less often since I cleaned the grounds and the the positive. That is a good point though. I'm going to pull out the battery and check the chassis ground.

danshaz82

mines doing it just as bad as before. i think im just gonna get a new ignition switch.

DamonDread
Car: 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo

PEZi wrote:Well, the one in this case that wouldn't be cutting it is the one to the intake mani. You want the engine grounded, but moreso the block. When its going to the intake mani, you're only grounded to the block via the head bolts and the head gasket is acting like and insulator of sorts. For reference, the custom setup I did to correct mine is a splitter off of the negative post, with one 2GA cable going to the frame directly, and one going to the block and starter (bolted in using one of the starter bolts). Fixed mine. Will help any car in any situation... but will it fix your problem? No guarantee... but worth a try? If you can source the cable cheap enough, hell yes.

+1!
Even if it doesnt fix your immediate problem this is sound advice!

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

danshaz82 wrote:mines doing it just as bad as before. i think im just gonna get a new ignition switch.
I just stripped the loosely fitting clips on the ground and just wrapped it around places it clips with some electric tape.
Little ghetto until I get time this weekend to do it right.

danshaz82

Dittoz7 wrote:
danshaz82 wrote:mines doing it just as bad as before. i think im just gonna get a new ignition switch.
I just stripped the loosely fitting clips on the ground and just wrapped it around places it clips with some electric tape.
Little ghetto until I get time this weekend to do it right.
the ignition switch?

ToplessVert
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Vert

I has that problem on an 93 auto hatch. I just wired in push button start after i got it to start jumping the posts on the starter with a screwdriver. It worked great till i got ran off the road during an icestorm lol

allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

Where did you get the new starter?

danshaz82

i got mine from rock auto

Nashville91s13

Found this little issue today and made a video. Check it...
http://youtu.be/JlZ4v6uvp8E

danshaz82

very interesting! mine has an alarm installed too, but i cant use it cause i dont have the key fob for it or anything.
ill open up my steering column tomorrow and see if mine has the same kind of play.

Nashville91s13

Ok so..update to that video : I got stuck somewhere the other day cause I tried to use they key and of course...nothing. So...I got out a phillips head and started taking apart my steering column. I pushed in that loose part of the ignition switch (without touching the connections of course) and it cranked right up. I'm pretty sure that's the problem. I'm trying to get a hold of my local best buy to see how they want to go about redoing the ignition wire taps for the alarm/remote start after I replace the switch.

danshaz82

today i finally got around to looking around in there. there was hardly any play in the ignition switch, but i did notice there were wires cut and spliced everywhere! there was some that the ignition switch plugged into, like the thick white and red wire. so i think that has something to do with it haha. i also removed my alarm, but it wasnt even wired or connected into anything.
there was just so many wires that were spliced into other ones, and i couldnt trace any of them without taking everything apart.

danshaz82

a little update.
last sunday i took apart the steering column area and poked around. i dont know what i did, but i havnt had the problem at all through out the entire week. starts first time every time.
all i did was unplug the ignition switch, push that part on it in the video (even tho it wasnt loose) and moved around some wires. then plugged it ignition switch back in.

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

i had a feeling when i saw this thread when it was first posted that it was the ignition switch, as i had a similar problem and that was what fixed it

what you did was probably moved a poorly spliced/wire connection and now its actually conecting properly... for now

i would just buy a new ignition switch and be done with it, its not like they are expensive...

Return to “240sx General Discussion”