Intermittent no start issue

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
KR50
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD

Have a intermittent no start issue on my 2002 pathfinder. I went to start it up after driving for 30 minutes, stopping the car for 5 mins and engine wouldnt hold the idle and dies within 3 seconds. pressing the trottle to keep idle up and running has no effect at all. i checked the battery connections and everything seems fine. I turned off all accessories and started right up after not sure if this is battery related as the Battery is brand new.

I took the gauge cluster off today to fix a intermittent bulb not lighting up issue which seemed to work but the moment it wouldnt start the repaired side went out. Not sure if its related.has anyone had a issue like this?

KR50

I have cleaned the throttle body and replaced the fuel filter. Went to get gas and had a hard time starting again. The idle just dies and pressing the gas to raise the idle has no effect. Opened the hood checked battery terminals and seemed solid. Closed the hood and it started right up? Im really confused on whats going on.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Put a scanner on it that can stream RPM and see if there's a consistent reading while cranking. If it waffles, drops out or reads 0, your crank sensor is getting weak and misbehaving when warm. Often this won't turn on the MIL, because the increased reluctor speed wakes up the weak sensor once the engine fires. If the reading is stable, stream the cam angles, CMP sensors can cause the same issues for the same reason.

KR50

Its very hard to replicate the issue. I drive the car for about 40mins today and it ran fine. I have a check engine light on for an upstream O2 sensor. Would this cause a no start issue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

KR50 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm
I have a check engine light on for an upstream O2 sensor. Would this cause a no start issue?
Probably not, unless it's making one bank run very rich. Have you scanned the A/F-alpha or fuel trim values?

KR50

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:16 am
KR50 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm
I have a check engine light on for an upstream O2 sensor. Would this cause a no start issue?
Probably not, unless it's making one bank run very rich. Have you scanned the A/F-alpha or fuel trim values?
I have not. i will try to get it done over the weekend. also when reading rpms do i just plug it and crank to see if theres any difference? thanks for the suggestions :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

KR50 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:09 am
when reading rpms do i just plug it and crank to see if theres any difference?
Yes, but a scanner, not the dash tach. On almost all Nissans the ECM's tach data comes exclusively from the crank sensor, so if the CKP is misbehaving at cranking speeds, it will show up as a jumpy or low reading. Typical RPM with the starter motor should be about 200~250 RPM. The dash tach shouldn't be trusted because not all clusters read while cranking.

KR50

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 am
KR50 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:09 am
when reading rpms do i just plug it and crank to see if theres any difference?
Yes, but a scanner, not the dash tach. On almost all Nissans the ECM's tach data comes exclusively from the crank sensor, so if the CKP is misbehaving at cranking speeds, it will show up as a jumpy or low reading. Typical RPM with the starter motor should be about 200~250 RPM. The dash tach shouldn't be trusted because not all clusters read while cranking.
oh gotcha. i will try to read the data over the weekend and report back here.

KR50

Happened last night again. Drove for 15 mins to pick up food and wouldnt start. Opened the hood and checked battery terminals again and its solid. Right after i touched them car started. Makes me think if theres a cable issue? I did recently clean all terminals as well. Are there any common issues with terminals corroding and cause this kinda issue?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

KR50 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 am
Happened last night again. Drove for 15 mins to pick up food and wouldnt start. Opened the hood and checked battery terminals again and its solid. Right after i touched them car started. Makes me think if theres a cable issue? I did recently clean all terminals as well. Are there any common issues with terminals corroding and cause this kinda issue?
Not if it cranks but doesn't start. If it doesn't crank, then yes.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”