Intermittent horn operation

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Dxta
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

I have been having this probywith my M45 2003/04 for sometime now. Sometimes, the horn does not work, when I press it to hunk. It happens when the engine is at operating temperature, or so. Sometimes, it does not even work when the engine is cold.
I'm thinking this could be related to the horn relay going bad, or can the spiral coil in the steering wheel cause this?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Dxta wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:35 am
I'm thinking this could be related to the horn relay going bad, or can the spiral coil in the steering wheel cause this?
Yes, the spiral cable can cause it. Usually if it's going bad, you'll start to lose all the buttons on the wheel one or two at a time. If anything else on the wheel is out, don't bother with diag, the spiral is bad. It's also usually positional, you'll have the horn in certain wheel positions and not in others. If you can catch it in the act in a bad position, pop the lower column cover and jump ground to the horn wire in the spiral cable connector. If the horn blows with the jumper but not the wheel, your spiral is bad.

Dxta
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:43 am
Dxta wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:35 am
Yes, the spiral cable can cause it. Usually if it's going bad, you'll start to lose all the buttons on the wheel one or two at a time. If anything else on the wheel is out, don't bother with diag, the spiral is bad. It's also usually positional, you'll have the horn in certain wheel positions and not in others. If you can catch it in the act in a bad position, pop the lower column cover and jump ground to the horn wire in the spiral cable connector. If the horn blows with the jumper but not the wheel, your spiral is bad.
Thanks so much. Would try this

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”