Interior Wear Issues

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

I’m a former G35 owner that now has an EX35. The interior is pretty much identical between the 08 EX35 and 07 forward G35/37. I’m having issues with two control surfaces looking like total poo at 95K miles.
  1. The matte black trim around the volume and cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. It was scratched by the prior owner and made worse by me.
  2. The leather on the AT shift knob. Again, scratched at some point (did this guy have 80 grit for hands?) in the past and not getting worse, but the rest of the car doesn’t look its 9 years and nearly 100K miles.
Anyone had either of the two issues above and if so, how did you resolve? I’m not made of time and don’t want to sink a ton of money into this car for aesthetics – I’d love if there was a tape or something like it I could use on the shifter in place. I’ve given thought to just removing the balance of the matte black paint. It’s at least consistently missing in that case. I, for some reason still unknown to me, live in Minnesota, so I get summer temps of 90+ and high humidity and winter temps of 10-20 below at their worst.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon May 29, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

No tape is going to please one who is bothered by scratched leather imho. Might as well wrap it in bicycle handlebar tape. It won't look good in any way. I suggest replacing the knob.

For the paint issues, you could treat it like a plastic model. Get some Testors paint thinner or nail polish remover, a brush and matte black paint. Remove the old and apply the new.

You're probably nice and/ or of Norwegian descent. Both belong in MN! Enjoy the summer, go to corn fest and hit up those lakes!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”