Interested in recommendation for Scan Tool

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Wildlife
Car: 2005 Nissan Frontier SE

I would like to know what scan tools the folks in this forum are using. I recently purchased a '05 Frontier SE 4x4. I know there's lot of info available beyond OBDII. Transmission, TPMS, BCM, and some engine data is not visible through the inexpensive OBDII tools. I believe the Nissan OE tool is called the Consult 4(?).

What aftermarket tools can access the proprietary data? What has your experience been? I'm considering the AutoEnginuity tool, it's a software-based tool that loads on a Windows laptop. I've used it on Mopar vehicles and was impressed with its capabilities. Have any of you used this tool?

https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/ ... expansion/

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Consult4 is only for the new Ariya, right now everything else uses Consult3+. It's a tediously-slow Windows-based package, so I usually carry an ELM327 adaptor in my pocket and have the Torque Pro, NDS-III, and CVTz50 apps on my Droid. For just checking people's codes in the service drive, they're all way faster than C3+. For advanced diag on other systems besides the engine and tranny, there are a lot of affordable scanners which will do airbags and ABS. Beyond those you're starting to talk really big bucks.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Please see this thread
topic631096.html?hilit=Obd2

Wildlife
Car: 2005 Nissan Frontier SE

Thanks, I saw that thread before I posted. I'm looking for much more than an OBDII reader. I need to access all the data that's not on OBDII, as well as the data that's included with OBDII. Also, I'm not restricted to ~$100.00 as stated in that thread.

Given the lack of response, I moved forward with the purchase of the AutoEnginuity PC based tool with the Nissan enhanced data. It appears to be very complete with lots of features, nearly OE level diagnostics. I've used this tool before on Mopar, Cummins, and Mazda (I've also used the Mazda OE tool). There's a little bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth the effort. Time will tell if this tool will work as well on Nissan as it has on other products.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Wildlife wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:33 pm
Given the lack of response, I moved forward with the purchase of the AutoEnginuity PC based tool with the Nissan enhanced data. It appears to be very complete with lots of features, nearly OE level diagnostics.
Definitely let us know how that goes. I looked at the Giatto once before but never came up with the spare cash to give it a try. With the Nissan/Infiniti package added on, it did look very capable.

savagebob
Car: 1993 Nissan D21 Hardbody KA24E

AutoEnginuity PC based scan tool.

I have used the enhanced version for Toyota, GM, and Ford for around 8 years now. Toyota was great, Ford pretty decent also. GM is way behind (4-5 years) full implementation of Global A for 2015 up. I was very disappointed with their lack of basic (beyond OBD II required) tools and bidirectional
diagnostic (and configuration) controls.

Sorry to say I have no experience with their Nissan software. They are a decent company and updates were reasonably priced for the enhanced products.
The initial interface hardware with all the phone apps, bluetooth, etc is pretty steep, however, even for just a 3 manufacturers "package" pricing.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”