Intemittent starting/cranking problems

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
leapnjack

Have an 08 versa manual tranny. A couple of weeks go starting having problems with nothing happening when attempting to start car. Would try for a few times and it would start and might start for several times and then nothing. It has been gradually getting worse. A couple of times I would pop the hood and peck on the battery connections and sometime this would help and sometimes not. I don't drive the car often so it is happening about every time I try to start now. The last time I tried and tried and I could't get anything to work, when I started to give up, I just started shifting through the gears and when I tried it started. I started it 3 or 4 times after this and it continued to start. Parked it and I am sure the next time I try to start it probably will not do so.

Also--this may have nothing to do with the problem--it did not start doing this until after I had taken the car to the dealer and had the air bag replaced because of the recall. Help!!!

All the dash lights are working and the bell is dinging and does not attempt to crank, sometimes I think I hear a slight click but am not sure, nothing like a loose connection or dead battery. When it does decide to start, it cranks over good and starts with no issues, no sluggish battery problems etc.

EdBwoy

I don't know how long batteries in Versas tend to last (With most Infiniti M35/M45 owners, 4 years is what we are getting), but the first thing I would start with is a tested and confirmed-to-be-good battery.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

FYI, oddly enough, after changing literally hundreds of warranted batteries I've found that the average death rate on pretty much ALL of them is around 3-4 years, and that includes two year as well as seven year batteries in there. Food for thought, I no longer buy longer life batteries and have never regretted it.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”