Intelligent Key Control Unit

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
merlinq2
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Just spent 380 bucks to have a tech find and seal a water leak at the base of the windshield of my 07. The water leak caused some corrosion to some connectors between the wiring harness and the intelligent key unit.

During heavy rain and or wet snow, water would leak into the cabin and cause the system to fail to recognize the key, I would get the no key error light on my dash. After a few hours, I guess some drying time, the car would start up normally.

The car is now running right; but the ominous comment from the tech "while we found and repaired the leak, cleaned the corrosion from the connectors, it is possible that the intelligent key unit (control module) may be damaged. If is problem occurs again, more diagnostic time will be required to determine the issue and or replace the key control module". Meaning next time is a minimum charge for diagnostics and the cost of a replacement part.

I have been searching through the service manual and I have been able to find the module in question;however, the part number is not available anywhere. Google searches come up empty and the infinti on line parts catalogs do not recognize the term intelligent key unit.

Anyone out there run into having to replace the module, if so do you have a part number? I would rather order one and walk the part to the dealer and have them install it.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

kontra-vers-E

I've been having issues with my intelli-key as well, sometimes it work and sometimes it doesn't. My steering wheel and seat stopped moving and I would have to put the fob into the actual holder instead of my pocket. I have a friend that is a tech at Infiniti here in Atlanta, I'll shoot him a text now and see if he can get me a part number. That's for a 2007 M35X right?

merlinq2

Correct,

I was not able to use the key port to by pass the issue. Basically, the corrosion had caused the car to think that it needed to go into anti theft mode. So while all controls in the car work, memory seat, tilt, radio, etc, the car would not start or run. It sounds as if your issue could be a weak battery in your fob. I have been told some cell/smart phones can zap your fob when they are taking a call or moving data and the fob is very close to your phone the key can get zapped and be rendered useless.
Thanks for helping a part number would be helpful. Our head office is in North Carolina and next time I am down there I will pick up the unit as an insurance policy.

By the way, love the user name...............

kontra-vers-E

LOL, Thanks man. I just s*** him a text message for the part number, not sure if he's at work or not though. And since I'm new here I don't visit a lot, so you can hit me in an email at [email protected]. And for my car, I was thinking it was the key fob myself, going to get him to get me a discount on a new key fob and programming. When you own a car like ours, it's good to have connections. LOL

merlinq2

excellent let me know how it works out for you. Send you a note later

kontra-vers-E

He still hasn't responded yet, I may see him at a local meet tomorrow. But I'll see what I can find for you.

merlinq2

much appreciated

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

Got the control unit replaced under warranty on my 06 M45 in 2009. Maybe it's the same part or same type of part. Part number on invoice is K-285E1-EH10C. I am guessing you should truncate the "K-" from the part number, but I don't know. Hopefully the info is helpful since I had to dig it up. :P

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I have searched Google and confirmed that is the correct part number (don't use the K-). Merlin, you should be all set with that number.

The above unit is also known as:

CONTROL ASSY-SM
CONTROLLER ASSY-SMART KEYLESS

Also, if a power distribution unit is mentioned by the dealer, that is part number 285F0-EH100.

merlinq2

The00Dustin wrote:Got the control unit replaced under warranty on my 06 M45 in 2009. Maybe it's the same part or same type of part. Part number on invoice is K-285E1-EH10C. I am guessing you should truncate the "K-" from the part number, but I don't know. Hopefully the info is helpful since I had to dig it up. :P
Thank you very much and very helpful

merlinq2

IlyaKol wrote:I have searched Google and confirmed that is the correct part number (don't use the K-). Merlin, you should be all set with that number.

The above unit is also known as:

CONTROL ASSY-SM
CONTROLLER ASSY-SMART KEYLESS

Also, if a power distribution unit is mentioned by the dealer, that is part number 285F0-EH100.
Thanks

kontra-vers-E

285E1-EH12B is the part number he gave but said it had variations depending upon production date. Said it underneath the fusebbox next to the e-brske pedal and that the exact part number is on it.

merlinq2

Excellent and thanks again. That is why I like this forum, people actually respond and try to help, have a great day

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

kontra-vers-E wrote:285E1-EH12B is the part number he gave but said it had variations depending upon production date. Said it underneath the fusebbox next to the e-brske pedal and that the exact part number is on it.
I guess he's right. For my 2006 M45 this what you have at Sawgrass Infiniti
CONTROLLER ASSYSMART KEYLESS
Part Number[F01]: 285E1-EH10C
Superceded from 285E1-EH10A
Year range 4/2005 to 8/2005
Online Price: $477.15
It's cheaper at Infiniti Parts Department where it is $408.06

merlinq2

thanks

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

merlinq2 wrote:thanks
with 2007 m35x your part number is
285E1-EH11B

merlinq2

Thanks Again

adr4

Merling2, or anyone else that can provide feedback,

I have 06 M35 with 90k... so i figured I would run into an issue like this eventually. I am having the same problem. First it started with trunk sensor not working with the key in my pocket, then it was the doors and now the car won't start unless I place the Key into the Key Slot.

I am looking to DIY on the Intelligent Key Control Unit and see from the other post that the part is about Mid $400s. Did you get it installed at the dealer and if so, how much should I expect to pay for the part and install? I want to DIY but I may not have the time to get to it and may just bite the bullet and have it installed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The00Dustin

adr4, you don't mentioned that you have replaced the battery in the fob, so it sounds to me like you are barking up an unnecessarily expensive tree at the moment. I replace the battery in the fob more often than one would think is necessary, but I log a lot of miles, and I suppose that battery is running the transmitter anytime I'm in the car. My key control unit was replaced under warranty, and the key slot has never worked for me since then. I don't know if it worked before that, and it was out of warranty by the time I knew it didn't work. Not that you'd be using the battery or that such a problem is a likely outcome of replacing the key control unit. I'm sure something is just disconnected.

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

So is it easy to get to and replace any programing needed?

adr4

The00Dustin,

Yes, I failed to mention that I did replace the batteries in both my keys and tested... the problem persist. The door and trunk sensor do not recognize the key or work. The only thing that works somewhat is locking and unlocking using the Fob. I have to stand close to the battery side of the trunk, which is near the IKCU.

LovemycarM35,

I haven't done the work or ordered the part yet but from my research, yes it is easy to get to and physically replace but the programming and logistics I am still trying to figure out. I will keep you all posted.

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

adr4 wrote:The00Dustin,

Yes, I failed to mention that I did replace the batteries in both my keys and tested... the problem persist. The door and trunk sensor do not recognize the key or work. The only thing that works somewhat is locking and unlocking using the Fob. I have to stand close to the battery side of the trunk, which is near the IKCU.

LovemycarM35,

I haven't done the work or ordered the part yet but from my research, yes it is easy to get to and physically replace but the programming and logistics I am still trying to figure out. I will keep you all posted.

well mine is working fine but this would be a good how to sticky

adr4

Well... I thought the problem went away....The problem came back this weekend. I had no choice at this point but to take the car to the dealership. They had it all day and have been unable to diagnose the problem. They are going to keep trying to figure out the problem tomorrow. Of course they worn you that there is diagnostic fee of $125 and a second one for the follow up on the next day. The fee is waived if you commit to doing the repair with them. I can't wait to hear how much this is going to cost me! All my research showed that this is pretty much a fix that only the dealership can do because they are the only ones that can program the keys after the new IKCU or PDU is installed. Is this the case or does anyone know of a way to DIY?

hsingh2088
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

merlinq2 wrote:Correct,

I was not able to use the key port to by pass the issue. Basically, the corrosion had caused the car to think that it needed to go into anti theft mode. So while all controls in the car work, memory seat, tilt, radio, etc, the car would not start or run. It sounds as if your issue could be a weak battery in your fob. I have been told some cell/smart phones can zap your fob when they are taking a call or moving data and the fob is very close to your phone the key can get zapped and be rendered useless.
Thanks for helping a part number would be helpful. Our head office is in North Carolina and next time I am down there I will pick up the unit as an insurance policy.

By the way, love the user name...............
Hey what's up bud. My car is at my mechanic right now too and I think I am experience the same issue you had.

Did your car do the following:

After you push start, electricity engages for about 3 seconds and the power steering beings to tilt downward and just right before the car turns over, the electric power to the car completely goes away and the car is basically dead.

I have to slam my door or wait it out or some sort of voodoo magic and then hit start and the car goes through the full sequence.

My mechanic said that it looks like the Anti-Theft is engaging, and that it might be the smart key module.

Do you think that makes sense?

Thanks,
HS

The00Dustin

hsingh2088 wrote:After you push start, electricity engages for about 3 seconds and the power steering beings to tilt downward and just right before the car turns over, the electric power to the car completely goes away and the car is basically dead.

I have to slam my door or wait it out or some sort of voodoo magic and then hit start and the car goes through the full sequence.

My mechanic said that it looks like the Anti-Theft is engaging, and that it might be the smart key module.

Do you think that makes sense?

Thanks,
HS
I think you have a weak battery or a loose battery connection. I am saying that based on an experience that I believe I posted in this forum in the last year. That having been said, if I am right, I also think you need a new mechanic.

ETA: Found it:
The00Dustin wrote:On that note, and just for the sake of conversation, my battery has been changed since my grounding kit was installed. Since then, the positive terminal has come loose twice. Both times I didn't know what was going on immediately. The first time, I didn't see any issues until my car wouldn't start one morning. I hit the start button and everything just died (all lights on the dash and everywhere else in the car, like the battery was completely dead). I looked under the hood, battery looked fine, I got back in the car, it started, I threw tools in the trunk, and I went where I was going. It happened again when I was about to head home, only I quickly got under the hood and pulled the battery cover to see sparks at the + terminal. I tightened it and didn't worry about it any more. The second time, a few days ago, I noticed my auto-up windows weren't working, but shrugged it off and reset them, then yesterday morning, when I hit the start button, everything just died again, at this point, it was obviously the same thing, but I confirmed that to be the case, then I got my tools again, loosened the positive terminal, got the connector back down where it should be, and tightened it again (I didn't do a good job the first time, as I was in a hurry to get out of the parking garage and get home).
From post6555049.html#p6555049

The Brat 61
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL 3.5l AWD with Intelligent Key

I also had a CompuStar Remote Starter installed in my 07 Murano SL.
After only 3 days, my key fob slowly stopped working. On the 4th day, it did not unlock my doors nor did the car recognize the key. The steering wheel and ignition locked and no matter what I did, they would not release. I had to use the remote from the CompuStar to unlock my doors but, the car would only stay started for 2 minutes and would shut off.
When I brought it back to the installer, I was told that my CONT-ASSY SMART KEYLESS Part# 285E1CB800 (Theft Control Locking Module) was full of water. It set off my immobilizer and the car thought it was being stolen.
After $850.00 to have the remote starter module removed, the steering column replaced, the ignition switch and the Keyless Remote Module replaced, and the key reprogrammed, I emailed CompuStar to report the problem which I was told was a Bad Install, they will not do anything for me so I am out $1069.00 and don't have a remote starter.
I sent the Remote Starter Module back to them upon their request for testing and they wanted the old Keyless Module, which was thrown out so because I didn't have the module, they will not reimburse me for any of my costs because they said Nissan had problems with the Keyless Module getting water damaged. Here is a link that they sent to me.
intelligent-key-control-unit-t572034.html#p6450745
They are sending back the CompuStar Module and told me that I could have it reinstalled but, they cannot guarantee that I won't have the same issues.
I would appreciate any input!
Thanks in advance!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”