intake manifold gasket question

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
blindsnyper
Car: 2007 versa

if i take off the intake manifold do i HAVE to replace the gasket or can i re-use the original???

jspec603
Car: 92 verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Depending on the material you can reuse it. If say it's a rubber gasket, just use a bit of brake clean on the manifold surfaces and then the gasket and reapply. If its a metal gasket, you can pick up a can of copper spray from your local auto parts store. This will help create or renew the seal when you reassemble. If its a paper gasket, be careful not to pull it apart or saturate it with any liquids before it goes back together. In any situation, make sure all your surfaces are clean of dirt or dust before you reassemble. Also make sure you torque the bolts to the proper specs. If you can't find those specs, a good torque setting for a 6mm bolt (10mm head) is about 8.5 to 9 ft-lbs. If you have a 8mm bolt (usually a 12mm head) torque them to about 14-19 ft-lbs if I remember correctly. Those torque specs are not Versa specific, just an approx general for that size bolt.

blindsnyper

rite on thanks

jspec603
Car: 92 verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Why are you taking it off?

blindsnyper

maybe

hiimjered
Car: '08 SL CVT

I would personally avoid resusing any gasket in the car. They aren't an expensive part usually, although I fail to locate a listing for a versa gasket, and the peace of mind is worth $50 to me.

Still, if you don't mind risking having to do the whole job again if it fails, go ahead and reuse it.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”