Insurance Info and Gas mileage for New and Prospective buyers

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
sskylor
Car: Nissan Rogue SL

I know many reading this forum are considering buying a Rogue so I will share my insurrance quote experience. I have been insured with Geico, when I called to add the Rogue because it is not rated yet, they put the vehicle into the default catagory. They said this would probably remain for a year until rated. Unfortunately this would raise my rates from a 7 year old Subaru to over $300 a year. I called around with a bit more savy and listed my car as a Murano. When speaking with an agent at E-surance I told them it was a small version of the Murano crossover. Putting this in this catagory brought the premium down quite a bit. So yes I am switching to save $450 a year. You may want to try to get it into the crossover vs the default catagory to save. Also, I have done mostly city driving with less than 1000 miles on the car to date. According to the car mileage computer, I was getting 21.8 on the first tank and with a little more freeway driving 22 to 23 on the next tank. I am hoping it will improve some. How long does the breakin period last??? I have a AWD just for infoLet me know any others experience in insurance and gas. Thanks

sskylor

Just one more question. Does anyone have any negative experience with E-surance, I am hoping not but just thought I would put it out there

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

Thanks for sharing your experience, the wife wants a Rogue. With your current MPG...........that does not seem to bad with AWD, plus it is still breaking in. Seems pretty likely our next car will be a Rogue. Thats if the numbers are right, driving experience, and all that good stuff. Once again......thank you for sharing.

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

Sorry, the only insurance I have ever had is USAA.........really good insurance

jlsatt00

I have progressive. I have had good luck. My husband's 06 pathfinder needed some work a few months ago after a semi tire tread tried to tear of his bumper. We had a check for the repairs in less than 48 hours. They also insured the evil person that hit my Rogue earlier this month and I was able to get it in the shop in less than 3 days. And it is cheaper than other places I have gotten quotes from!
Modified by jlsatt00 at 12:36 PM 10/31/2007

jlsatt00

Also, when I am driving on the highway and recent the MPG monitor, I get around 26. With mixed driving heavy on in town with high traffic I get 22-24.

amr40509

jdshift wrote:Sorry, the only insurance I have ever had is USAA.........really good insurance
I encourage you to shop your USAA against other carriers, ESPECIALLY if you are using them for Life Ins too. You might (and probably will) be surprised. Kind of like TIAA-CREFF on the retirement side, many people assume they are good just because their position in the market as "exclusive" is a great marketing tactic. Most people with USAA never even think to shop it, and should.

gazuccio

When I told Geico about all the safety features (and yes it is not rated) my insurance dropped by 135 dollars!!! Go back to Geico and tell them all the saftey features, airbags, air curtains. All you have to do is sell the car and it will take care of itself....no worries

DaleB

My experience with GEICO - Bought - was cheap, didn't pay much attention to cost after that as it was an automatic withdrawal from my bank account. 2 years later, I finally sat down and looked at what I was paying - It was 4 times my initial quote. AND THEN, I had an accident (got hit by an uninsured driver with no license). GEICO refused to pay for new replacement parts, telling me they only pay for used replacement parts. I Sued, Won, and ran away from them quick. The Funny Part - GEICO called me wanting me to sue the uninsured driver at my expense so they could get their money back from him. I'd say this was INSANE.

I've been using State Farm for the last 18 years and have had 2 accidents myself, my wife has had 2 and my son has had 2, and each 6 months my premiiums GO DOWN. Accidents - no paperwork - State Farm has done everything.

Dale

sskylor

Thanks for your post and info with Geico. Very interesting indeed. I think Geicos gaining of market share is a bit dubious in terms of getting customers low and then gradually raising rates as you have found. For myself, I had been a customer for 15 years and no accidents or tickets, then 2 years ago I got 2 tickets in one week, bummer. It took them about 6 months to raise the rate but they surely did and then in buying the Rogue the rate really went up. After checking around for a better rate, I finally decided to check State Farm as that is my homeowners insurance. Why this took me so long I don't know.I spoke directly to my agent, very nice. He gave me a great quote, given my recent driving record and told me I would also get a dicount on my homeowners policy. With my discount, I was saving nearly $750 a yearas compared to Geico. Now for the real clincher. In calling Geico to cancel my policy, they tried to win me back and with changing a few policy items brought the premium down about $600. I told them too little too late, as I had already secured a new insurance company. Just 8 days after starting with State Farm, I recieved my homeowners refund. It pays to check on your yearly premiums and really I guess there is room to negotiate when threatening to change. I will not be going back to Geico and feel very good with my perseverence.

Return to “Rogue Forum”