Insurance help!

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

So my insurance company, not only are charging me $464 for at-fault accident surcharges, but they are charging me $1000 for something called "overall driving history". No one from this insurance company, during the 2020 year, told me anything about insurance company gonna be slappin a grand just for misc. charges, where even the said company cannot even break down the charges completely.

My rate just jumped by $1400 which is totally unrealistic. Any idea on what this $1000 charge will be on? I asked to speak for someone in upper management that has and can see the breakdown and can explain it to me.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

So you're angry because your insurance company is charging you extra for being a high risk driver because you've had at fault accidents? How dare they! (that's sarcasm, by the way). It’s called consequences, kid. Some policies might offer forgiveness on the first accident, but no policies forgive all of them. And you've admitted you've had multiple accidents already. How/why surcharges get applied depends on the fine print in the policy you signed and the state laws. You might consider reading your policy before attacking them. Keep in mind, unless you have a valid reason, all you’re going to accomplish is making yourself look foolish. Crying "it’s unrealistic" is not a valid argument. I believe the legal term for that is "waaahhhh!" (sarcasm again).

Here’s some advice without the sarcasm 1. Time to accept/admit you are not as good a driver as you think you are and take an accredited defensive driving course. Completing one might reduce your future premiums. 2. Ask your parents if you can get back onto their policy. And then you pay them the difference. It’ll still cost you more money but it’ll be cheaper than you paying for your own policy until you grow out of the single highest risk insurance demographic. 3. Shop for a new policy. Sadly, your bad driving record will be following you so it’ll be tougher to get a low rate at this point until you actually improve your driving record. And that will require several years of accident/ticket free driving to accomplish which, unfortunately, is something you have yet to do.

Good luck.

datechboss101

Bubba1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:58 am
So you're angry because your insurance company is charging you extra for being a high risk driver because you've had at fault accidents? How dare they! (that's sarcasm, by the way). It’s called consequences, kid. Some policies might offer forgiveness on the first accident, but no policies forgive all of them. And you've admitted you've had multiple accidents already. How/why surcharges get applied depends on the fine print in the policy you signed and the state laws. You might consider reading your policy before attacking them. Keep in mind, unless you have a valid reason, all you’re going to accomplish is making yourself look foolish. Crying "it’s unrealistic" is not a valid argument. I believe the legal term for that is "waaahhhh!" (sarcasm again).

Here’s some advice without sarcasm 1. Time to accept/admit you are not as good a driver as you think you are and take an accredited defensive driving course or two. Completing one might reduce your future premiums. 2. Ask your parents if you can get back onto their policy. And then you pay them the difference. It’ll still cost you more money but, it’ll be cheaper than you having your own policy until you grow out of the single highest risk insurance demographic 3. Shop for a new policy, but sadly, your bad driving record will be following you so it’ll be tougher to get a low rate at this point until you actually improve your driving record. And that will take a several years of accident free driving to accomplish which, unfortunately, is something you have yet to do.

Good luck.
I was only expecting a $500 - $600 increase on my premium at most because of many employees of said insurance company told me, but no one told me to expect a $1000 additional premium hike. Actually, I cannot be on my parents policy because the guy also dragged my father into a law suit, and insurance said I must be not living with them for them to even have an umbrella policy. But the breakdown of the additional $1000 was where I am lost and posted here of course. No one would completely explain the breakdown of why they are charging an additional $1000 other than "overall driving history", which I am trying to understand. I did had 2 years of great driving but my guess would be early 2020 with our cursed Rogue.

So far I took a driving course thing to knock off one of my ticket with 4 pts off my record. I got 2 semesters left of university so once that's done I will not be commuting as much to Miami anymore. But then, another issue arises. As I am trying to drive safely (literally), I am clearly seeing too many uneducated drivers near home. I already have altered my driving habits and style so much after these accidents, and I am still considered one of the safe drivers (if we can take off those accidents in my record).

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Sounds like they were accurate as you did get a nearly $500 increase in your premium. The extra surcharge sounds like
separate clause that kicked in after x number of accidents, points, and/or the lawsuit you just mentioned. That lawsuit by itself makes it much worse. That insurance company will be paying out far more than the surcharge you got. Consider yourself lucky they're still covering you.

Listen, I'm glad you say you've altered your habits, but that does not suddenly make you a good driver. Your driving record is the 2,000 lb gorilla in the room that proves that you are NOT safe by any stretch of the imagination. You cannot simply dismiss those accidents, especially the at-fault ones. They're on your record and your record sucks. And lobbing the "I'm surrounded by uneducated drivers" excuse is silly. Sorry for being blunt.

As far as the surcharge breakdown, if you are unwilling to read the policy, perhaps your next step should be to consult your father's insurance agent. He/she should be able to explain it to you more easily than you trying to go after the insurance company directly without doing any prior research. I suspect you're not going to like the answer you will get. I'm sure at some point you will become a better driver, but it's gonna take years of being accident/ticket free before an insurance company will treat you as one. You're clearly not there yet.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

They've probably read your forum posts. :)

BTW, I've been driving for 37 years and have never had an at-fault accident, and nearly every car I have ever owned is faster than a Rogue... So, yeah. Time to go get some advanced driver training and stop blaming everyone else for your shortcomings. ;)

When you say "I'm surrounded by uneducated drivers," have you considered that they may all have less accidents than you?

If you had hit my vehicle, your record would be the LEAST of your concerns.

There's your daily dose of humility. Wash it down with a glass of freshly-squeezed privilege.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

To answer the silly question:

How much did your insurance company have to pay out to the other driver(s)? THAT'S where your $1000 went, and you're lucky it wasn't more.

Jesda

Your insurance company has an overall idea of the level of risk it's willing to take. In order for it to be worthwhile for them to take a risk on you, they've decided that this is what they want you to pay

It is, effectively, like they're saying "we dont want you unless youre willing to pay way too much."

I've gotten into some shenanigans as a kid (though I've never been at fault), so I'd advise calling a traffic lawyer for a referral to an insurance agent. Agents with expertise in insuring high risk customers can often find rates that you and I cant.

datechboss101

Thanks for the wake-up call. Looks like the big elephant is the "overall driving history", which was the 2 at-faults and that lawsuit (lawyers did say the person suing isn't even submitting all documents for his claim of the entire policy limits). Insurance company is still the cheapest compared to everyone else, so I guess I am still blessed to be covered. I did have to modify my policy a bit (increased my limits by alot) due to the usual and normal commuting to and from Miami now and with these higher limits I am still paying less than every other insurance company in FL. My premium did increase an additional $900 because I changed my limits, but at the point of paying $4k, I just decided to go with increasing my limits (originally planned to increase my limits).

And when I mention uneducated drivers, I mean, the new passing lane is the right lane (normally the travel lane outside of the Florida).

If one thing I learned out of this... some vehicles are cursed from delivery day, and if we don't get rid of them quickly, they will end-up causing an issue (the Rogue was cursed if it made any sense).

How I altered my driving habits:
1) Avoiding nighttime driving (I did this a billion times with the Rogue)
2) Driving the speed limit on the travel lane (i.e.: driving carefully)
3) Being more patient (including whenever the family is in the vehicle with me); 2019 Rogue ain't the family vehicle at all, not one bit!
4) Obeying all the street laws (yes, that includes the unused slow-poke law).
5) Keeping a good gapplebees distance between me and the front car (3rd accident made me to add this into my driving habit alteration)

I will have to contact the local insurance agent in the area to see if I can get some additional discounts, once the semester is over this week.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 pm
If one thing I learned out of this... some vehicles are cursed from delivery day, and if we don't get rid of them quickly, they will end-up causing an issue (the Rogue was cursed if it made any sense).
I dunno about your insurance, but I can definitely vouch that there are accursed vehicles in the world. I'm dealing with one right now, a '15 Rogue. Initial complaint was a dead USB port, so we ordered one. When it came back for the port, it had a new problem. The driver's side A/C wouldn't change mode. Turned out the servo was fine but the splines on the mode door were stripped, so it needed a whole new HVAC unit. Dash disassembly, nasty job. We replaced it and the port, and a week later it's back with a security light for the NATS antenna. The antenna and wiring check out fine, which means the antenna driver in the BCM is dead. I'm putting a new BCM in it on Tuesday. The lady has a great aftermarket warranty, but damn, if it wasn't for bad luck this car wouldn't have any at all. I'm really wondering if the next time I see it, it will be in little pieces because something exploded. :ohno:

datechboss101

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 pm
datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 pm
I dunno about your insurance, but I can definitely vouch that there are accursed vehicles in the world. I'm dealing with one right now, a '15 Rogue. Initial complaint was a dead USB port, so we ordered one. When it came back for the port, it had a new problem. The driver's side A/C wouldn't change mode. Turned out the servo was fine but the splines on the mode door were stripped, so it needed a whole new HVAC unit. Dash disassembly, nasty job. We replaced it and the port, and a week later it's back with a security light for the NATS antenna. The antenna and wiring check out fine, which means the antenna driver in the BCM is dead. I'm putting a new BCM in it on Tuesday. The lady has a great aftermarket warranty, but damn, if it wasn't for bad luck this car wouldn't have any at all. I'm really wondering if the next time I see it, it will be in little pieces because something exploded. :ohno:
I think my definition of cursed might be different. Usually it would be parts that fail, but this is a different animal. Here's a list of why I believe this vehicle was cursed since 12/24/2015:

1) Vehicle got rear-ended at a red light while my mom was driving it 3 months after purchase
2) Father got a speeding ticket like about 6 years after his previous ticket
3) Front Windshield replaced
4) Mailbox damaged the fuel cover door and right rear quarter panel
5) Damaged 1/4 of the garage door and the liftgate spoiler
6) Vandalized multiple times (gigantic door paint chips, key scratches [$1100 damage])
7) F***ed up my perfect driving record
8) Crashed 2x within 12 hrs

If we compared this vehicle to my current one, the current one just got rear ended twice (thank you 2020 for harming me).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am
I think my definition of cursed might be different. Usually it would be parts that fail, but this is a different animal.
Different curses for different folks. ;)

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am

I think my definition of cursed might be different. Usually it would be parts that fail, but this is a different animal. Here's a list of why I believe this vehicle was cursed since 12/24/2015:

1) Vehicle got rear-ended at a red light while my mom was driving it 3 months after purchase
2) Father got a speeding ticket like about 6 years after his previous ticket
3) Front Windshield replaced
4) Mailbox damaged the fuel cover door and right rear quarter panel
5) Damaged 1/4 of the garage door and the liftgate spoiler
6) Vandalized multiple times (gigantic door paint chips, key scratches [$1100 damage])
7) F***ed up my perfect driving record
8) Crashed 2x within 12 hrs

If we compared this vehicle to my current one, the current one just got rear ended twice (thank you 2020 for harming me).
LOL. Excluding #1 (I assume your mom did nothing wrong), #3 (unless you were driving too close to the vehicle in front of you), and perhaps the key scratches with #6 (unless it was done by your keys), it seems more a case of a good car cursed with bad drivers. Trying to blame the car sounds like you're still in denial, and I'm not talking about the African river. :)

datechboss101

I did called the underwriting department. I got more explaining and understanding from them than the customer service department. The lady I was talking with, knew the area of Miami I was staying at for university, and treated me like I was her son (although her son is couple months younger). She took like 1 hour of her day, to answer all my questions. Now, I know my insurance company put me in their high-risk department (cuz Google just wasn't helpful with what the heck insurance company indeminity department was), and now I will be paying an additional $1000 because Miami (my home boy who used to own a 2 gens old Versa S sedan told me Miami is the world's most accident prone city). Basically I need to graduate this year, so I wouldn't be paying arms and legs (she literally said that to me).

The only reasons that increased my premiums by arms and legs was the two accidents within 12 hours, not the two rear-ends on my MDX. Next year will be my soul and the following year will be another couple of arms and legs. Once 2023 rolls around, I should be back with low premiums, that's what I was told from this kind lady.

And Bubba1, yes, the 16 was a great car and honestly the most reliable vehicle we ever owned (that just needed only basic maintenance); the 19, not so much (this needs to be sold or traded-in). But when I mention those things about the 16 being a cursed car, it honestly was. I actually wanted the vehicle since we bought it , come to think of it, and was pissed at first when it got rear-ended 3 months into ownership. I thought that was all, but I was wrong; the following year, my dad (who like me is a safe driver too, got a ticket for "speeding", but who in the world drives in the speed limit in Orlando, FL? other than left lane hogs and left lane slow pokes). That's where I believe this vehicle got cursed, but also servicing this at the local shady-a$$ Nissan dealer (the one dude did gave me back-door discounts). Nothing happened to this vehicle when we serviced it at the dealer in SoFlo where we bought it from.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

I miss Nala.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

frapjap wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am
I miss Nala.
Like button.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am