Instrument Cluster - Fuel Gauge fails

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
sgarson
Car: 2009 G37x

I have a 2009 Infiniti G37x. The fuel gauge stopped working. The dealer tells me I need a new instrument cluster...very expensive. They tested the fuel level sensor and sending unit on the tank. But my question is this: the instrument panel also displays zero range and the yellow triangle warning indicator, which makes me think that the deal is in error and a new cluster will display the same. I am wondering is they erred and there is a computer amplifier problem. Would their diagnostic computer pick that up?

I realize this is an rare problem. Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks,

Steve
Boston, MA

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO, Steve! We had a problem with the fuel gauge on our old '05 G35, so I suspect that this problem isn't as rare as we would hope.

Ours would show full after a fill up, but only go down to roughly half a tank and stop. There is a cluster self test that you can perform yourself. Check your factory service manual (available at www.infinitiservicemanual.com ) for the self test-procedure. It's located at MWI-35. If your fuel gauge fails the self-test, then I would feel comfortable saying that it's the cluster. Our solution was to just reset the trip meter at every fill-up, and fill up before we got to 300 miles, but the failure happened after we had put the G in the "I don't want to spend any money on this car" category.

There are many companies that repair clusters, but I've never used one, so I don't have any personal experience. I googled "instrument cluster repair" and found several. If I were in your situation, I'd call a few and see if you find one that sounds like they know how to fix it... this one looked promising when I read it http://www.instrumentclusters.com/ There are also several on ebay.

Good luck!

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”