Installing Roof Rails 2014 QX60

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
fixitsteve
Car: Infinity QX60 FWD

I found plenty of instructions on how to install the cross bars, but nothing on the rails themselves. So I just dove in and it was quite easy. I'm not going to include pictures...as it is pretty straightforward.

1. From the front (at least that is where I started...and it doesn't matter which side) pull up firmly on the plastic cover that covers the rail locations that run parallel to the car. You can get your fingers under the inside edge. The push-pin brackets will break free. Don't worry about breaking them, the roof rail kit comes with all new ones.
2. Work your way back until the last pin is still connected at the tail close to the gate.
3. There is a black push pin that can only be seen through the hinge slot once the lift gate is open. Stick a screwdriver between the pin top and plastic and pry it off. Don't worry if the pin breaks (again, the new kit includes this pin).
4. Repeat for other side.
5. If there are any metal brackets that separated from the covers, take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove them from the plastic grommets. These are supposed to stay in the plastic covers...but can can come out and stay on the car. Be careful not to damage the grommets, as they need to be intact to hold the new rail covers on. Notice the very front ones are not 'slotted' and are different.
6. Remove the four bolts from each side that are there to seal the threaded holes.
7. Remove the four steel and rubber washers that are most likely stuck to the surface of the rail slot.
8. Clean the rails as mine were very dirty. The rubber that seals the rail channel was not well glued on.
9. Place the four brackets in their obvious locations with the silver bolt holes (for the cross bars) facing inwards. RH and LH labels on the brackets are from the Drivers seat perspective.
10. Line up the brackets centered between the two alignment dots on the rail channel and make sure alignment tabs are in line with the dots. Bolt down per torque specs with provided bolts.
11. If you are going to install cross bars as well, remove the cross bar covers from the new rail slot covers by pushing from the inside. This is way better than prying from the outside and marking the up. If you are doing this later...just leave them on.
12. Again from the front, place the new rail cover over the rail slot, but don't push down yet. You should see the brackets align with the cross bar holes if you removed the covers. By peeking under the cover, align the first metal bracket and push down firmly from the front and make sure the metal brackets snap onto the mounting grommets. The others are slotted so you don't have to peek under to align the. You will be able to hear these snap into place.
13. When you get to the back, the last section of the cover slides forwards and backwards to adjust for discrepancies in length. Align the black pin with the hinge hole and press firmly down to seat the push pin. You can check the pin by opening the lift gate and looking through the hinge slot.
14. Repeat for the other side.
15. If you have them, install cross bars per directions included in the box. They drop right into the provided slots and fasten with provided torx bolts.

Simple installation that takes about 40 minutes and is WAY less grunt work than putting on the tow hitch.

Raswin
Car: 2014 Infinity QX60

:dblthumb:

Nice job on the rails, I'm new to this forum, got the QX60 as well. Need the roof rails, can't see this without one, looks pretty weird without it.
Can you tell me the part number, as well can you show me the pics of what it looks like.. Thanks

Raswin

fixitsteve

Roof Rails are: 999R1RZ
Roof Rail Crossbars are: 99R1RZ500

http://parts.infinitiusa.com/nissanpart ... alogID=212

Pics are at the above link as well...

fixitsteve

Shop around...my local dealer was running a 20% off sale on their website.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”