Installing Roof Rails - 2009 FX35

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
twizznuts
Car: 09 FX35

When I purchased my car, I was under the impression from the dealer that I could install roof rails, but was later told that it would have to be done at the factory. I contacted another dealership and they told me that they would be able to install it, however, they needed to verify if there were bolts underneath the roof panel. Since, I had to get it serviced, they said they'll remove the roof panel and check for the bolts. So, when I went to pick up my car, I was told that they would not be able to install the roof rails because I did not have the bolts. I'm still a little skeptical whether or not they actually checked. So, here are my quetions:

1. How difficult would it be to remove the roof panel to check for bolts?2. If it's confirmed that there aren't any bolts, are there any other options to install the factory roof rails? 3. What other options are there for base roof rail system?

Thanks for your help.

rijc99
Car: 2009 FX

Unfortunately the 2009s are different from the earlier generation. Prior year cars have a roof rail with existing holes in which the rack would bolt on to. Hence no drilling needed, simply remove the cover and the hole is there.

With the 2009 model, the roof does not have an existing rail. The mount points are on the roof panel. Hence no existing hole. You can take off the roof liner all you want but the hole simply is not there. You would have to drill a hole into your roof if you want to mount the factory rack. Take a look at one with the rack and you'll see what I mean.

I feel your pain. When I was shopping for my 09, I wanted a base car since I saw no need for additional options. My only criteria was the roof rack had to be on the car. They told me it was very possible the rood rack might not be able to be installed and hence I might have to get the option package since base cars do not come with the rack preinstalled. After hearing this I started thinking of all the Cayennes and Range Rover Sports without racks and tried to convince myself the rack would be great but if it didn't have it I would be ok. I actually convince myself but my wife thought it would better if I saw the two side by side to be sure.

When I got to the dealer's storage lot to I saw about 40 FXs lined up. The one base car I wanted was parked in midst of 39 cars with with roof racks. Honestly, by itself it was fine... but 39 others... I had no choice but to get the option pack.

Good luck.

Next time you're on the road, look for sport suvs without racks... its not a bad look. Clean roof line look. It'll make you feel better.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”