Installing Backup Camera - Need advice

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
AzJazz
Car: 2009 Versa

Hi - I have a 2009 Versa.

I have a wireless backup camera that I want to connect to my JVC touch-screen radio (which has an RCA input for a camera).

I have 2 questions:

1) Where do I connect the "Reverse" wire that connects to my radio harness? This is the signal that tells my radio to switch the display video to the backup camera. I am interested in what wire (location and color) that I would connect to.

2) The rear camera is supposedly able to get its power by connecting to the switched +12VDC wire going to one of the rear backup lights. I have seen mention of a Light Control Module (LCM) on modern vehicles that can mess things up. Does the 2009 Versa have an LCM? And if it does, can I still use it to power the rear camera?

OK ... Maybe that was 3 questions. ;)

AzJazz

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

A couple options: You can tap into one of the + wires in your reverse lights to turn on the cam. Easy to check for this, just go back to your taillights, find the white bulb, test for which wire is hot when car is in R, and tap that wire.

You can also pull the FSM for your car at nissanservicemanuals.com, and check the wiring diagram.

Question # 2 - Doubtful. See answer for #1 above.

Good luck!

AzJazz

AZhitman wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 pm
Welcome aboard!

A couple options: You can tap into one of the + wires in your reverse lights to turn on the cam. Easy to check for this, just go back to your taillights, find the white bulb, test for which wire is hot when car is in R, and tap that wire.

You can also pull the FSM for your car at nissanservicemanuals.com, and check the wiring diagram.

Question # 2 - Doubtful. See answer for #1 above.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info and FSM link, @AZHitman!

I checked into the 2009 Versa FSM, and I didn't find any references to a Lighting Control Module, so that's good.

I am trying to avoid running the radio's Reverse sensor wire to the back of the vehicle. I bought the "wireless" camera so that I could do the install without pulling apart the whole car interior trim and routing wires in odd spots.

I was looking at the LT (Lighting) manual. Pages LT-70 and LT-71 look like the right reference pages for the backup light signals, but one says "Early Production" and the other says "Late Production".

Question: Can I tell which Versa production unit I have by the VIN or production date?

I think I can access the "Yellow" wire of interest at SMJ M69-5A (Early Production) or SMJ M69-4A (Late Production).

Question: Do you know where the Super Multiple Junction (SMJ) M69 is located at on the 2009 Versa?

Thanks,

AzJazz

AzJazz

I did some more hunting on the 'web, and found the location of the harness and wire.

The Reverse signal on the 2009 Nissan Versa is located on connector M15, Pin 2 (Pink, with silver stripes). Connector M15 is behind the driver-side kick panel. The Reverse signal goes to +12 VDC when the key is in the "Run" position, and the shifter is in "reverse". I have included some pictures to help anyone else interested find the wire of interest.

Cheers,
AzJazz

Driver-side kick panel:

Connector M15 (M16 is disconnected to help show location):

Connector M15 (16 pin) Front:

Reverse Signal on M15-Pin2

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Nicely done, sir!

AzJazz

Harrumph ... It seems like the part I thought would be the easiest in this camera installation actually might be the hardest.

I know that I need to connect the camera to the rear backup lights for power. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the wires routed cleanly from the car license plate area into the interior of the car.

I have removed some of the trunk trim, and I haven't found any access to the exterior of the car.

Is there any advise?

Thanks,

AzJazz

AzJazz

Looks like I'll need to drill a hole in the body, and get a grommet for water and wire protection. Time for a trip to Home Depot!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”