Installing Amp to OEM head unit

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
albert3029
Car: Infiniti G35x 2004

Hey what's up guys!

I'm thinking of purchasing a JL amplifier and throwing two 10" subs along with the amp in my 02 QX4. However, I'm planning on keeping the original Bose system that the truck comes with. My question is where can I purchase the adapter that's needed to connect the amp to the OEM Bose head unit? Allso how much? Any feedback on the quality of sound I will get from this set up? Thx!!

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

When I bought my Alpine amp brand new, it already came with the speaker input harness that I needed to wire it to Bose. I just spliced into the rear speaker wires. quality of sound is not bad but the Bose itself is definitely lacking in highs and overall power when compared to amplified aftermarket speakers. Better than any other stock system tho.

albert3029
Car: Infiniti G35x 2004

So you connected your amp to your rear speakers? Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the amp would connect directly to the head unit, therefore the aftermarket amp will solely push the subwoofers.

I'm thinking it would sound pretty good, I'll just lower the bass on the highs so that it will blend in well with the subs.

Thx for the info.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

The setup u described would be ideal - however the Bose head unit does not have any pre-outs so you are left with either ghetto splicing into the speakers, or replacing the whole Bose system (which is what i eventually did)

Finny
Car: 2001 QX4

albert3029 wrote:Hey what's up guys!

I'm thinking of purchasing a JL amplifier and throwing two 10" subs along with the amp in my 02 QX4. However, I'm planning on keeping the original Bose system that the truck comes with. My question is where can I purchase the adapter that's needed to connect the amp to the OEM Bose head unit? Allso how much? Any feedback on the quality of sound I will get from this set up? Thx!!
I think what you need is a line level converter. You can find them at http://www.cardomain.com for a good price. If you are going to use an LLC I would splice it in behind the head unit so if you ever end up replacing your stock unit w/aftermarket your RCAs will be right there and ready for the real deal. As for quality, it will not sound near as good as (as fueler mentioned) doing away with the whole bose system and running an aftermarket deck with RCA outputs directly to the amp.

Let us know what you decide, how it turns out.

99QX4
Car: '07 G35, '05 FX35

I had the bose adapter for a while...i "dealt with" how it sounded for a while until i just completely replaced the bose and now i don't know how i ever listened to it like that! I bought the adapter at Best Buy...but that was years ago now.

nissandoms47
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SEV6-Custom 7" lift-33-1250R15 BFG KM2- a bunch of other s*** i cant think of

Yeah most amps have a High power input which is meant for stock systems pretty much. You'll connect wires from your rear speakers to that high power input just like if it was the RCA wires from an aftermarket headunit.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”