installing air horns in the Q

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

James, email me or call when you get a chance

metaverse3

PoorManQ45 wrote:heRE, I'll do a write up.

Cut wires going into OEM horn. Cut back insulation enough to splice together with another wire. Then connect wire supplied with horn to OEM wires. Polarity doesn't matter, so don't worry about which is positive and negative.
Why does polarity not matter ? If I recall nissan's, the horn wire is a relay switched 12 volt wire while the horn itself is attached to body ground.

On my install, I had an air compressor with dual trumpets which kept on tripping the 15A fuse. Your theory of initial surge was correct. I ended up wiring a relay as follows:

Pole 85 to horn wire from carPole 86 to Body GroundPole 87 to Fused 12 volt battery powerPole 30 to Air compressor +12v feed

The ground pole on the air compressor went to an isolated body ground. When I honked, the 12v factory wire tripped the relay which latched the pole 87 to trigger the air compressor giving me horns.

Is the Infiniti wired differently to ignore polarity ?

BobE
Car: 95 Q45 98K

I've used these same little air horns / compressor on several motorcycles I've owned. Yrs ago I found some that are longer & much lower pitch, I 1st used them on my GS1000 running straight dwn from the top of the front forks. It was wonder! I have an unused set that I think I'll put on the Q.

Just measured 'em, one is 11 1/2" & the other is 12 3/4" and they sound much more like a big truck - which was fun when driving the cycle!! ;-)

PoorManQ45

metaverse3 wrote:Is the Infiniti wired differently to ignore polarity ?
Nah, I was saying that polarity didn't matter if you wire the horn directly, without the use of a relay.

With a relay you have to connect the positive pole on the relay to the positive of the car, and ground to ground.

Actually, both should work, but it's not common practice to have a common positive, usually it's a common ground.

BobE

Decided to test the compressor / horns on my Q. Did a quick mount using the existing bolts in the hood latch to mount the compressor and the longer horn pointing down. I could not find the Y split for the 2nd horn, but with only one it is so much louder than the Q horns. I was surprised how quiet the Q is as it doesn't sound all that loud inside the car.

PoorManQ45

The OEM Q horn isn't that quiet compared to the horns on newer vehicles. It just has a weird tone

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

one of my compressors is mounted sideways behind the hood latch, if i recall correctly i used an existing bolt my horns are attached to the fiberglass behind the bumper i drilled w/an angle adaptor thru the lip

BobE

Here's where I hung mine. The one on the right (car's left) is a little over a foot long.

BobE

From above.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”