Install HKS 264 8.5mm In/Ex Cams

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
louiswun

Just help my friend to installed HKS 264 8.5mm In/Ex Cams on his CA18 S13 , it brought from Japan auction, it is a used item and it did not come with a cam card,
So I follow my own cams card come with my HKS 256 8.8mm , and it is included 264 9.0mm degree, I have found that both 256 and 264 max lifting is at the same degree, so to adjust the 264 8.5mm at the same way will be proper.
Everything straight forward, measure the max lifting degree as per my cams card, turn the crank clockwise only, double check the valve timing twice, replace the cam seal with new items, replace new cam belt, replace the front crank oil seal, replace the valve cover oil seal, replace the half moon rubber with 6061 billet aluminium custom made one, replace all the valve cover bolts to stainless steel invert hex bolts.....all done at once etc

The HKS 264 cam and tomei cam pulley is the only change in the set up, nothing more.
This S13 have factory cams before the 264 8.5mm, JDM CA18DET 8 port engine unopen, 550cc GTR35 injectors (resistor pack removed), GTR35 slot type AFM in 76mm OD tube suck thru set up, JDM 8 port ECU controlling factory vacuum tank and solenoid, nistune type 1 board, GTX2867R with 0.64 hot side on cast manifold, around 70mm dump pipe flange into 3" front pipe, no CAT, HKS Hi Power silent exhaust, 63mm intercooler cold pipe....etc
When with factory cams, the exhaust note is smooth bass almost no pulse.
When with 264 cams, the exhaust note is no longer a smooth note but in bass pulse.
Compare to my own S13 CA18, the only different between our cars, included HKS 256 8.8mm In/Ex cams on factory cam pulley, mine is full 3" turbo back included the dump pipe flange, 70mm intercooler cold pipe, other than that, everything power related is the same.

On the road test at 0.9 bar boost controller off, the turbo spool up compare to factory cams, only a little delay on spool, and the delay is acceptable, lost some torque on the low end due to boost come a little later, but after 3,500 rpm the torque come stronger, and last longer.
Compare the spool and torque to my own S13, the different is too small to tell.

louiswun

Here is the 264 cams first start up video

And this is my 256 cams exhaust sound check

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Fixed the links for you. You have to use the link in the url in the browser, not the share link.

Thanks for writing this up!!! So everyone knows what's going on, we spent a long time on FB messenger trying to figure out the correct cam specs for these HKS cams with varying specs and what we've found is that all of the HKS cams for the CA seem to use the same cam timing values.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Still shocked that the HKS camshafts need to be set-up with a degreeing card. Float, you got to get with me on this because this if this is the case, my cams never was set-up properly. Just taking too many tasks and not having the time needed to play with my own toys like I use to.

float_6969

Yea, they definitely need timed. When I originally installed mine, I didn't time them either. The engine ran, but it was GUTLESS down low, then it was light a light switch and it took off, but then the top end seemed to struggle. I was also getting CRAZY high EGT's at part throttle cruising. I haven't run the engine yet with the properly timed cams to see the difference, but I can say for sure that the cam timing would be off if they weren't installed with gears and timed.

Izento
Car: RPS13

I didn't install my Tomei cams with a cam degree card either. Of course, those are 256, so maybe it's less severe. I did make sure that the lobes matched up to what the stock cam was at before leaving the engine....although, I do think it would be difficult to NOT install it the way the stock cams lobes were facing upon removal.

float_6969

The Tomei 256 PON cams are SUPPOSEDLY pre-indexed and don't need adjustable cam gears. That being said, it's always a good idea to use adjustable cam gears with aftermarket cams.

mdb4879
Car: 1987 Nissan Pulsar SE (CA18DET)
1990 Nissan 240SX (KA24E)
1995 Acura Integra GSR

I'm curious, why don't cam companies just manufacture camshafts to to be in "proper" time with the stock cam gears? I know timing can always be played with with gears, but what's the point in producing a camshaft that the recommended base timing is a couple degrees off from where the stock gears would put it? Just to force people to buy their supplementary cam gears?

float_6969

My guess would be expense. They're likely using a stock cam casting as a base to build their cam off of. Instead of simply modifying the stock casting for lift/duration, they would have to build a new casting from stock, which is way more money. Also, every setup is different, even from stock car to stock car. They're likely assuming that if you're putting cams into an engine, that it's been apart and if the mating surfaces of the block and head have been machined at all, the cam timing will be off anyway, so you're going to need cam gears.

I would guess that the reason the PON cams don't need adjusting is because they likely start out as a stock cam casting and they're just ground slightly different, so they don't need the cam timing changes that the longer duration/lift cams do.

And like I said before, the car ran fine on the HKS 264's with stock gears. Made more power in the top end too, but I have a feeling the exhaust cam was a little too advanced due to the high EGT's.

Obviously, that's all speculation. I'm NOT a cam expert.

D_Stirls
Car: Nissan 180sx 1990 Ca18det

So are you saying in your first post that you have a timing card for HKS 264 x 9.0mm cams?
If so would you mind forwarding me a copy as I have a set of those cams and no timing card.

Thanks
Dale

float_6969

Edited 12/6/19. IDK why I didn't share them as pics last time

float_6969

Was recently going through some old posts looking for something and I thought I'd let everyone know that I did get the engine running with these cams and the difference in how they run once they're degreed is significant. Power is much more linear. I did have a turbo change at the same time though, so that may have contributed, but I don't think that would explain the entire behavior. Also, my EGT's when down to normal levels after as well.

CA18DET
4 port head
HKS 264 IN timed to 111° ATDC
HKS 264 EX timed to 114° BTDC
CPC plenum
HKS T4 cast turbo manifold
EFR 7064, 1.04 twin scroll turbine housing
8.5:1 compression
Bored to 85mm
3" exhaust

Highest power run is at 17psi
All runs are from 2K to 8K in 4th gear with a 4.363:1 diff and 245/45-18 tires on the rear.

I know there's no engine RPM on this dyno, but if you do the math, the starting RPM is 2K, and each MPH line is about 333.33 RPM. That puts peak power right around 7500 RPM.

Luchitosan
Car: Nissan 200sx Ca18det 4 port

Nice numbers Float, do you have the head ported or something or just stock ?
Run stock lifters ?
Thats whp right ?

Thanks for posting !

float_6969

Head has minor port work. Basic blending and smoothing.
Yes, stock lifter. No solid lifters
Yes, WHP, but it's on a Dynojet, and they're infamous for reading high.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”