inner rocker options for 240z

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
ltball
Car: 71 240z

Does anyone have experience with fabricating new metal for the lower third of the inner rocker (below the holes/dimples)? My floors were a real cluster. Lots of rust of course, with not one, but two additional layers of metal welded over the top of the orginals from previous PO's. During the removal of the old floorpan layers, I had to cut away the rusted bottom of the inner rocker. I have the outer rocker removed for access (replacing that too). I have the tabco outer rocker and the zedd floor on hand. My question is what can I do to best create a new attachment point for the new floor to the inner rocker knowing I'm missing that lower third were the original floor attached? The missing third is pretty uniform from front to rear and I'm wondering if I could weld in replacement metal to the bottom of the inner rocker? If so, wondering if 18ga is appropriate? I'm also wondering if I would need to shape that new bottom in some fashion to replicate how the floorpan was originally attached? I'm ok with a welder but new to this kind of repair. I'm learning as I go. Has anyone tackled this before? Is there another way to go about this?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I 'm in the same boat. I would start with the floors then the inner rocker, and if need be then the inner dogleg, the inner rocker seat belt gusset, inner and outer wheelhouses, then the outer rocker then the quarter. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”