Injectors for SD22 Diesel Engine

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ke4yub
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 Diesel

I am new to this forum. I purchased a 1982 Datsun pickup with an SD22 diesel engine. When starting, it produces lots of white smoke until it warms up and then it runs smooth and does not smoke. I have been driving it 80 miles each day for about three weeks now with no problems except the start up. It has new glow plugs that all check out OK. I am thinking it may be the injectors are not atomizing the diesel correctly. Anyone know where I can get new injectors? Thanks..

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

You might want to educate yourself on the basics of diesel engines. Personally, IDK s*** about them except that; they have high compression ratios; most are direct injection wtih the exception of some older ones; and can wear out like any other engine, producing smoke and stink. I would hate to see you spend a fortune on new injectors and have it do the same thing it's doing now. I wonder if injectors used by other manufacturers can be used? IDK if your problem is even with the injectors. Good luck, I mean that. I would love for you to get more knowledge. Maybe it just needs to be rebuilt/overhauled. Or swap in a Cummins...

Return to “Datsun 720”