initiation!

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
nab911

You guys try to classify stuff too much. I use almost all the techniques minus the e-brake. Depending on how fast im going and how much room i have i use just a combo of them all. Faint approaching the turn.... heel toe down to the right gear, keep on the brake a little to throw the weight to the front of the car and roll my foot off the brake and onto the gas and use the gas to hold it smooth throughout and let off it slowly to have a smooth end.

santi
Car: s13 ka-t hatch

happily..

clutch kick .. depress the clutch rev the engine and let go of the clutch.. it shocks the drivetrain and causes the wheels to break loose inna forward motion.

shift lock will do the opposite.. you wont match rev or over rev.. you will under rev and it drags the wheels into loosing traction.

when you heel toe you might use clutch kick a lil bit.. but theres almost no chance in hell it's a shift lock b/c you said your matchin revs..

and nab911 i'm not beein rude i just disagree.. this is a thread about initiation technique's .. so discuss it ... we are talkin about the specific techniques you favor.. this is whats its for

santi

and you dont heel toe up into a higher gear either.. think about it .. your going to a taller gear b/c you need to go faster..so why are you gonna hit the brakes and match revs

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I have an aluminum flywheel, and i lose my revs very fast when i let off the gas for any period, thats my excuse for the way i drive.

*Anyway*I said that i shift according to what gear im in.But really i cant say i'm the best at this either, i just have fun :) thanks for the info on clutch kick vs. shift lock though.

nab911

I meant i heel toe to whatever gear i need. But basicly i faint, brake and fade/clutch kick it.

santi

good enough for me...have fun ..thats the point.. i'm no pro eitherbut i do what i can

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

I may be doing something wrong, but at first when I just started out (I am still starting out, but this was a year ago) and still now even, since I have little power, with an open diff, I'd just go into a corner (especially when it was raining) and push the car, so as to not understeer, and then press the gas until I felt the rear coming out, and then start countersteering immediately.

At first my reaction was slow and my countersteers turned into counter counter-steers and the counter of those, as I was trying to get the car under control. You know that feeling, the panicky "omg I am going sideways, which way do I turn the wheel to not crash into that curb?! which way are the wheels pointed?! turn! counter turn! aaa!" I sometimes still don't know which way the wheels are pointing (I don't pay attention to the steering and then I'm not sure which way I've already twisted the steering wheel, cuz I am focusing on the road too much).

But now that I’ve had so me chances to practice, I can control my slide-ins better, and come out straight-er than before. Now my problem lies on the other side of countersteering issues: the timing of not too early (ending up going straight into the curve of the turn, i.e. curb), or too late, followed by reversing the wheel too much and fishtailing around a lot, or even spinning out.

With the VLSD (had open diff until 3 weeks ago), I have a better feel for when the car is going to come out, and what it will do afterwards (because with open diff it's never easy to tell when the non-spinning wheel will slide or when the spinning one will stop sliding, after you've let go off the gas). E-brake never worked for me, because it also sucks at stopping my wheels, the pads seem to have little grip (they are pep boys pads, so maybe getting those "drift" rear brake pads would help lock the rear wheels better). Clutch kick works great for me on low speed/wet surfaces, the slowness is due to because I'm a little worried about being able to handle the car correctly if it kicks out at a high speed, and my reaction is not appropriate.

To me, the scariest things are snap oversteer and uncontrollable understeer (the latter being reason why my front wheels are only straight when my steering wheel is turned 1/8 if a turn to the right, i.e.: I need alignment). I'm trying to learn to control the car while avoiding the two extremes.

sil80

santi

seat time fixes most of that.. in my s13 in the rain i push when i'm not smooth so try beein smooth.. no jerks in the rain... and try clutch kicking wayyy before the turn.... you seem to know though what you have to do.. just seat time and smoothness i think

marshun

in the rain. dont push too damn hard. 50% effort gets 100% results. lol. meaning you hardly gotta do anything to get it to slide, keep it sliding.

Dattebayo

yeah power over is super easy in rain, and the counter steer doesnt have to be be that much really. I enjoy it quite often about 1 minute after it starts raining (its the slickest right then for about 30 minutes)

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

Power Over. I know it isnt a real drift, but I still have trouble keeping the tail out. and I'm not 100% comfortable with countersteer angles yet. I feel i've improved alot tho and I cant wait to put in Vlsd.

Nathan

You people's e-brakes still work? Geeze mine cant even hold the car on a slight grade, let alone lock up the back tires...the Nathan needs to make some adjustments. If I decide to slide around in my car I do it the only way I know how...MORE POWER! I wouldn't call it drifting, but it IS entertaining.

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

My ebrake blows, I need to adjust it.

With that said, I just clutch kick it. I aint skeered of damaging my clutch!!!!! (act street)

armand
Car: 1990 nissan 180sx

95silviase wrote:My ebrake blows, I need to adjust it.

With that said, I just clutch kick it. I aint skeered of damaging my clutch!!!!! (act street)
same here my ebrake wont lock up my back wheels i even adjusted the damn thing and it still wont lock the wheels,so i just clutch kick

chmercer

just tighten the **** out of the cable. if it wont lock, then you need new rear pads.

armand
Car: 1990 nissan 180sx

chmercer wrote:just tighten the **** out of the cable. if it wont lock, then you need new rear pads.
i tried that i even put new pads on two weeks ago and it still wont lock up,maybe i need to get some new slotted rotors and some endless pads

chmercer

i have stock rotors and pep boys pads. thats not your problem

Stuntman240
Car: 91 coupe

try replacing the cable. it might be too stretched out to tighten

Dattebayo

thats a ***** though...

i want my ebrake to work, but not for drifting only.i want to park on a 7 degree slope and not have to find my car at the bottom of the hill!

PGBrian

mine locks like a mother's hands on my neck when i bang her daughter.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

Well at the RSR event I came in the corner in second and just turned in and taped the brake. Then I started to build confidence and come in the corner in third, I couldn't get the back end to come out traveling that fast by taping the brake after I turned in. So I had to yank the ebrake a split second to start the car sideways. Cement barricades can be intimidating at 70ish mph. Nick

crazymax
Car: 89 coupe

I mostly clutch kick but depending on the corner Ill feint or eBrake it...have drifted on a track like 2 times and just then started to play with brake and feint and stuff...

JICdrifter

I use shiftlock in the wet and sometimes in the dry, feint with clutch kick, for fun i like jamming gears, like goin 1st-2nd. a new one i been doin is jammin 2nd-3rd. u start to gain speed when ur sideways

azncorruptedo17
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx SE

clutchkick + power over (im still on ka open diff, haven't really tried feint ^_^;

Dookie
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

I feint + clutch kick at anything under 35mph, after that, its feint + e-brake to get it started, and clutch kick afterwards to keep the *** out there.

deviant
Car: 95 nissan 240sx se

depending on the type of turn usually its feint, brake, or power over. most of the time its feint and power over.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”