Info on the 2009 Infiniti EX

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Falstaff

Great forum.

I've been looking to replace my Audi A4 with the EX. This is a sweet ride. Being from Canada, the car is overpriced compared to the U.S. and the dealership that I am dealing with does not seems to want to give me any discount on the 2008 EX. Basically I would have to pay the MSRP.

Since we are getting close to the end of the 2008 Model Year, and since I am not getting any discount, I am wondering if I should wait instead for a 2009 Model Year. I am able to wait a few weeks anyway.

When are the 2009 supposed to be available?

What change, if any, tehe new model will bring?

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

I was told that the 2009 EX will be a carryover year. My salesman told me that Infiniti will consolidate the packages on all Infiniti models. It seems that dealers are having a hard time selling inventory cars because of so many packages with slight changes in each. He also said that there will probably be a few more color options as well for the 09's. If your looking to get a big discount on an 08 then I would wait till the 09 's are a week away from hitting the dealers lots. Although any dealer asking sticker price for any car is just plain ripping you off. Shop around. Usually the dealers with the largest inventory are the most aggressive to give discounts.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

I believe that. The EX has been having problems getting traction in the US. I hear they sell like hotcakes in Canada. I read somewhere that they were stacking up like cordwood on CA lots.

I have mixed feelings on the package consolidation. If it means they are going the other direction the EX could lose some package options. However if they are making all the other models have the same packages as the EX that would be nice.

I have a bad feeling though that the Luxe Style and Luxe Elite packages are going to go away and instead there will just be one Deluxe Touring Package like on the new FX. On the other hand the EX might get a rear entertainment option which was sorely lacking on the 2008.

Dodgeyaussie

% is now available on '08 EX's

inteller

OR $4000 dealer cash.

the 0% for 72 months is impressive though.

and if I'm reading right they have $1000 loyalty cash that can be combined with the financing. So if you need another EX, now is your chance!

they are getting pretty aggressive. I figured they would stick to about $3k dealer cach and let the the dealers figure it out.

I knew this car was moving slow but WOW!

Dodgeyaussie

The EX is struggling for some reason.

I think the closeness in pricing between it and the '08 FX caused them a problem, and for a smaller SUV to only get 1mpg better than the FX is kinda embarrassing IMO. They seriously need a G25 and an EX25 with the 2.5 V6 in it and around 220-250 Hp. The majority of 3 series sales are 325's. Not everyone is about horsepower.

inteller

Infiniti is supposedly getting a hybrid in 2010. I hope it is a G25 or G30 even.

aft981
Car: Infiniti EX35

My hunch, although it literally is just that, a hunch, is that hopefully within a few years Infiniti will have a decent diesel engine for us over here.

Infiniti launch in Europe later this year, and with their current lineup they will be the only luxury car manufacturer not to offer a diesel engine (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar & Land Rover all have great diesel engines), which puts them at a definite disadvantage over there, where almost half the vehicles sold are diesel.

The BMW X3 in Europe has 3 diesel engine options. A 2.0d (34.8mpg combined; 8.9s 0-60), a 3.0d (30.5mpg combined; 7.4s 0-60) and a 3.0sd (29mpg combined; 6.6s 0-60).

With petrol/diesel prices about 4 times more expensive over there, to be able to get 50% increased combined fuel economy with the same performance as the Ex, that 3.0sd X3 would make a lot more sense to a lot of car buyers. Cars are also taxed in the UK now based on CO2 emissions, and the EX will suffer there too possibly costing a few hundred $s a year extra in tax. As much as I would love Infiniti to succeed over there, it's going to be tough for them unless they start to offer diesels or hybrids (which aren't as popular).

Also, although Infiniti may currently claim it won't happen, it doesn't make sense to me that Europe is getting an Ex37 with the new engine from the G and a 7 speed gearbox, yet they're going to continue making the Ex35 for the North American market?

inteller

I'm guessing they are towing the line with the EX35 because they don't want to further depress the EX sales numbers by telling people that a EX37 will be out in the fall. I think it only makes sense to bring the EX37 over.....or at the VERY lease mate it up with the 7 speed to get some better mileage numbers. Just like the FX35 should have been an FX37.

only problem is the driving dynamics aren't going to change a lot by going to the VQ37. The EX35 is already taking advantage of the usable horses...not sure throwing in the VQ37HR would change it that much.

If they provided a de tuned VQ37 that could take regular however, bring it on!

bttek

I would like to see Infiniti put the 3.7L in the EX but I would LOVE to see the 7 speed transmission in the EX.

When I drive on the highway at 70-75 MPH, I would prefer to have the engine turning 1500-2000 RPM's rather than the 3k plus where it is now at those speeds.

The car would be quieter and we would probably see a few MPG improvement.....

inteller

some others forums are predicting that the G35 will stay a G35 and simply get the 7-speed....if so I think it makes it more likely the EX35 will too. I'd have to see how the 7-speed rolls in the FX35 before I make a judgement call. Certainly it will help on long drives, but I would like to know if it has to hunt for gears on hard accelerations. I think at 7 spd you really need to switch to paddle shifters.

Barry Zack

It looks like the 2009 EX35 has a shorter Wheelbase from 112.2 to 110.2

It's a good thing I have a long one.

Zack

sailorman
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Here in the NYC area I just bought a Black/Graphite 2008 EX35 fully loaded with everything except for a luggage rack....a little over $40,000....0%....6 years (available from Inifiniti until 09/02)....with zero down...paying $605/month. That was over $4,000 off of sticker and at least that much saved in financing costs. Now that is a good deal....and I would think that a 2009 will only be more expensive to buy. I think that buying or leasing a car is all about timing and where you live and shop. Hey...based upon what is being said here...it may pay for you to get the car in California and bring it up to Canada. You could probably save a lot of money.

inteller

Quote »It looks like the 2009 EX35 has a shorter Wheelbase from 112.2 to 110.2It's a good thing I have a long one.

Zack[/quote]where do you even see that information?

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

sailorman wrote:Hey...based upon what is being said here...it may pay for you to get the car in California and bring it up to Canada. You could probably save a lot of money.
True enough. However, when I bought mine back in April, the price delta wasn't as large and given that duty is also payable (because Japan is the country of origin), I decided it wasn't sufficient net gain.

Cheers,David

dividedhighw

Barry Zack wrote:It looks like the 2009 EX35 has a shorter Wheelbase from 112.2 to 110.2

It's a good thing I have a long one.
I have seen the wheelbase figure incorrect in many places, including p.9-9 of the EX35 Owner's Manual!

I measured mine ... it's 110.2 inches or 2800 mm.

My guess is that the EX35 was close enough to the G35 that a lot of documentation was derived from a "cut 'n paste" of the G. The G35 has a wheelbase of 112.2" and quite a few articles (and owners) point out that the EX doesn't have the same rear legroom ... this is due in part, to the shortened wheelbase.

Cheers,David

Barry Zack

David,

Your right ............ I was just trying to be funny. I did the same thing and measured it and its ............ 110.2".

Its wrong everywhere, including this Forum Cover Specifications.

Zack

dividedhighw

Sorry Zack ... missed the sarcasm (I forgot that it was you who pointed out that mistake previously).

Just so you know, I tried to get the credentials to fix the EX35 Spec page on this forum, but so far, both requests have been ignored.

BTW, where are you seeing info on the 2009 EX?

Cheers,David

EX55

I agree with your reasoning. It seems that the EX35 overlaps with the FX35.

I have been told that the 2009's will be at the dealerships in October. Any new EX35 order will be a 2009 model. There are no more 2008 shipments coming into the dealerships near me.

Dodgeyaussie

dividedhighw wrote:Sorry Zack ... missed the sarcasm (I forgot that it was you who pointed out that mistake previously).

Just so you know, I tried to get the credentials to fix the EX35 Spec page on this forum, but so far, both requests have been ignored.

BTW, where are you seeing info on the 2009 EX?

Cheers,David
Specifications Exterior Dimensions (inches) Overall length 182.3 Overall width 71.0 Overall height Without roof rack 61.9 With roof rack --- 62.6 Wheelbase 110.2 Track width: Front suspension 62.7

Track width: Rear suspension 64.6

ricky_b
Car: 2000 Acura TL

EX35 has been selling slower in US. I think biggest reasons are low fuel economy and absurd back seat.

I had an experience with one deal that said EX and G Sedans were carrying over with just packaging changes for '09. Another dealer said that they have been given info that all Gs will go to 7 spd and 37 engine (just confirmed on-line). He also said that EX do the same (7 spd w/ 37) and that they are looking to tweak the back seat for easier entry exit. Seeing as how the second dealer's info was just confirmed, I'm more likely to believe him. It could be that they keep the '09 EX the same and do an early '10 (Jan-Mar of 2009 with the change overs.

gbear
Car: 2006 350Z roadster, 2007 EX35 Infiniti, premium, sport wheels, auto

Try this site, it has pictures of the new EX-37 along with horsepower and torque ratings. Appears it will have the 7 speed.

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/2009%20infiniti%20ex37/

dividedhighw

Thanks very much for your informative contributions ricky_b and gbear, and welcome to the EX group!!

Cheers,David

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”