Info for replacement of '92 Q45 Exhaust

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
mrochen
Car: 92 Infiniti Q45

Could anyone provide me with some insight/experience in replacing the exhaust on a 92 Q45. I live in PA where we require an emissions inspection so anything to radical would be out. Is there anything aftermarket that can be recommended? I was told by my dealer I will need to replace everything from the exhaust manifold back for my next inspection (Dec). I was thinking stock exhaust back to the muffler which would be replaced with something a little more throaty but not obnoxious? Any cost information would be helpful as well. I plan on replacing it myself.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I bet they quoted you over $5K for the factory one, too. My insurance company paid $1,100 for ONE catalytic converter from the dealership, and it took 2 weeks to come in!

Definitely try to get a used system from somebody parting out their cars in the Classified section.

A few have replaced their systems. I would stick with 2.25" pipe all the way back to the resonators, then 2.25 or 2.5 to the rear muffler, so you don't loose low-end torque. Magnaflow makes good mufflers. Aluminized steel should last you several years (as long as the rest of the car will last). The original system is all stainless, and it has lasted 14 years so far. Get high-flow cats, and use an x-pipe rather than h-pipe.

Here is a picture of rsiwicki's exhaust.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Here is his rear muffler (dual in and dual out)

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Stock stainless muffler is dual in and out, also.

Should read Q45tech's post on this topic as he went back to stock one off a 1995 G50 from a custom setup. Only thing increased was sound and annoying low frequency harmonic vibrations.

Rob's is a work of art (as is AGM's) to complement headers and supercharging and headers, respectively.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

If all that needs replaced is the mufflers and not the pipes, id just toss some magnaflows or something in there.. Either way, the factory exhaust, while good, is very heavy and i wouldnt put it back on...

PoorManQ45

start all the way at the front. I'm not talking the exhaust itself, i'm talking the O2 sensors. If you haven't done so,or your service info doesn't show it, replace them

then replace the Cats with a high flow varient. Magnaflow mufflers, or ones of your choice if you don't like their sound. And finally, a dual in/out resonator.

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

what exactly will effect the omissions test (i.e. in PA). if the O2 sensors are replaced, will new (or eliminated) cats, give a failed test??? will new mufflers and eliminating the resonator effect the omissions???? just wondering since i have to go through the emissions every year, but, might need to address the exhaust system soon,,,,

PoorManQ45

O2 sensors tell the ECU what the air/fuel ratio is. If this is failing your ECU could be getting improper readings and cause the mixture to richen(fail safe).

The cats/pre-cats "lite-off" certain exhuast gases by the reaction between the gas and the metals in the cat.

The muffler(s) don't really effect emissions. Their purpose is to lower the dB output level.

mrochen
Car: 92 Infiniti Q45

Thanks all for the quick responses, feedback, pics, etc. Thanks Jeff for the pics (the saying goes there worth a thousand words and I agree they put a lot of the comments in perspective). Next step is to get under the car and verify that everything after the exhaust manifold does in fact need replacement. As recommended I'm thinking essentially stock with a high flow cat and a magnaflow.

Thanks again all.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”