INfinti I30 1996

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
qmccall

what cleaning should be done to the throttle body and egr valve of the i30 and how often? what would this cleaning improve?

NISTECH

It will remove carbon build up and basically allow it to breath. The throttle body initially 60k and then every 30k there after would be a good interval. EGR ports and passeges about every 70 or 80 k would be good. EGR is not really nessesary though if your NOx readings on a smog check are ok. EGR can almost be self cleaned.every once in awhile rreach under the egr valve with a rag at your finger tips [so you dont get burned] lift up on the egr diaphram and hold the throttle at 2000 rpm for about 2 mins. By doing this you are opening the egr much more then it typically does under normal driving conditions therefore it burns all the carbon away both in the egr passeges and at the egr ports.

phenryiv1
Car: 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV

NISTECH wrote:It will remove carbon build up and basically allow it to breath. The throttle body initially 60k and then every 30k there after would be a good interval. EGR ports and passeges about every 70 or 80 k would be good. EGR is not really nessesary though if your NOx readings on a smog check are ok. EGR can almost be self cleaned.every once in awhile rreach under the egr valve with a rag at your finger tips [so you dont get burned] lift up on the egr diaphram and hold the throttle at 2000 rpm for about 2 mins. By doing this you are opening the egr much more then it typically does under normal driving conditions therefore it burns all the carbon away both in the egr passeges and at the egr ports.

Do you happen to have pics of this particular component?

NISTECH

Its a gold disk with a single vaccum line attached to it down near the fuel filter attached to the engine.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Scott, are there any products out there to clean the intake runners without trying to remove the whole intake? If the throttle body is dirty and functions better cleaned, then I would assume cleaning the runners would help smooth out airflow.

Thanks

NISTECH

yea I preffer BG's products but they are not over the counter products. We used to carry it at our dealer then a "corprate decision" was made and we changed to Moc [ uh eww]. Any how the product is inducted into the throttle body with a injector nozzle while the car is allowed to idle or be held slightly off idle. the intake boot fits over the small tube that hoses the injector and used shop air to pressurize the canister with the chemical in it. This equipment is leased and the product is typically only sold as a service at a repair facility. I do not know much about the overcounter stuf for induction cleaning. I have seen here on this site a product called sea foam works pretty good but havent seen its effects first hand. One of the best products for cleaning carbon from the induction system is water but the discharge amount has to be controled pretty tight as to much water can cause hydrolock or flame out when the plug trys to fire the fuel. The BG product and the moc product can both be used to operate the engine during the cleaning, I myself remove the fuel pump fuse during the cleaning so the car will run on the product. A 300z tt I did once I had to take the plentium off to do another repair about a week after I had performed the BG flush, I found that all the runners basically looked like the outside of the plentium [ extreamly clean] With the exception a few small cavities that wouldn't have been in the path of the intake airstream. The stuff you see these dealers selling works and is worth the money.

A more recent problem with that cleaner is this , dont use it on cars with electronic throttle bodies. We smoked a throttle motor about a month ago. We think the cleaner seaped into the motor shorting it out. It threw a code for the motor in the week following the service. checked it out and sure enough it had a significant resistance drop in the motor.

NISTECH

I know your car has a throttle motor.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Interesting.

I've heard of BG and the wonders it performs. I had my local dealer do a fuel system flush, but I doubt that included the TB nor intake. I assume using standard carb style cleaners would be unappropriate except for the manual cleaning of the TB....

NISTECH

It vaporizes to fast to be effective in the intake but you really wouldnt want to spray anything like that in your throttle body since it could damage the motor. The best you could do with your car is soak a rag in carb clean and wipe out your throttle body best you can since you cant open the throttle plate manually.

To flush the rest of the intake if you could locate a vaccum port near the throttle body beyond the motor you could feed the cleaner in with the regulated bag method. that would be as effective as the spray methid used on standard throttle body.

audtatious

Thanks for the 411.

I'll probably just clean the TB and go from there...

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”