Infinity J30T 3 of 4 Doors wont open

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
brockanddave
Car: Infinity J30T 209,xxx miles maroon

i just recently purchased an infinity j30t the door locks work but the driver and both passenger side doors wont open. ive tryed looking for any loose wires or any bad fuses but they all appeared good. any suggestions on what may be causing the doors not to open would help.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Could be any number of things. Door lock timers, locks and actuators fail in these cars with age (very common) or it could be more "mechanical". I would suggest taking the door apart from the inside out and having a look.

swimshark
Car: Bamboo Mist 1994 Infiniti J30 Soon to RIPs

Pearl White 1993 Infiniti J30 Project Ghost

do the locks inside the doors actuate? if so do those doors still not open? i had a similar issue with my drivers door and the lock would actuate but the door remained stuck closed because the locking mechanism failed and would not release. i took it to the dealership where all they did was break the mechanism for me. next time though ill do it myself cause you just take a long screw driver and hit the mechanism and break it until the door opens and then you have to replace it.

brockanddave
Car: Infinity J30T 209,xxx miles maroon

you can hear the lock when you try to unlock and lock the doors but they wont open. i cant get the door panels off because of the doors being shut so i have no clue how id get to the mechanisms.

swimshark

they way i started to do it and the dealership did it is to pry the door away from the glass and get to it that way. otherwise you cant do anything at all.

swimshark

when the door locks actuate do the little levers pop out and then back in? also do they sometimes struggle to either stay locked or unlocked?

on mine the little lever on the inside would be out like it was unlocked but the door was jammed shut. i tried to find a way to get panel off with the door stuck closed but to be honest the only way would be with the dash and seat out of the car.

keep us updated on what you can find out. if you need the mechanisms i have some personally or could go pull them from a junkyard for cheap. its the mechanism in the second picture. took me about 45 min to swap the busted one out and hook the used one back up. the tricky part is getting the actuator arms into the handle.

it must suck climbing in from the back seat. i hated climbing in from the passenger side for a few days.

Amadauss1
Car: J30 1997
175,000 miles
Daughter's car now.

Hi, have the same issue with the passenger door and the drivers back seat door. The locks open a little bit and close when trying to open them with either the remote or the drivers side opener and make the noise of doing so when trying. Just to confirm, can you tell me which part it actually is that needs replacing? And if you access to them, would be willing to buy them. The radio has also gone and now searching for a new one. Great pics of your car by the way. :)

You also mentioned something about taking a long screw driver to break the mechanism until you replace it. Would that allow my daughter to use the doors until I replace the part needed? Thanks

swimshark

are you able to open the doors or are they stuck solid shut? its the latch on the inside of the door that locks the door into place.

once you break the mechanism the door will not stay shut so you will need to break it and replace it the same day. i have both if needed.

Amadauss1
Car: J30 1997
175,000 miles
Daughter's car now.

They are stuck shut. Cannot open either of them. What do you suggest and if need parts pm me with what I need and costs. Thanks.

swimshark

PM sent

Tmuchira

Swimshark, Had to brake Mechanism to my drivers side door. I cannot fine a replacement anywhere!!!! an ideas?

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Tmuchira,

Have you tried Ebay? Nissan/Infiniti dealer? Rockauto? Unfortunately the newest examples of this car are approximately 20 years old. Some "new" parts are scarce.

nycj30
Car: 97 infiniti j30
97 ford expedition
99 Chevy Tahoe z71 383
00 Chevy silverado

I had the exact same problem, the guy I bought the car from didn't use it much so the rear doors were stuck shut. I was able to get the panel off with the door shut. Its a bit of a pain in the a** the first time but wit a bit of elbow grease you can get it. When you get the panel there are two bars are running from the handle to the locking mechanism one for the handle one for the lock. Try spraying some wd40 on the mechanism and move the lever the rod is connected to up and down with a screwdriver it should open right up

Ursto
Car: 1985 Nissan 300zx (Daily)
1986 Nissan 300zx turbo (Project)
1995 Infiniti J30t (Winter)

This just happened to me this week. I can get the locks to go crazy (locking and unlocking like mad) but the passenger front door is stuck shut! The driver door is working fine and unlocking fine, but the rest of the doors simply lock themselves even when I hit unlock. It's a pain. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the door panel off, but from everyone's posts above, I'm sure it's an actuator. I'm sad :(

swimshark

Tmuchira, let me see if I have a drivers side door actuator. Email me at [email protected]

Ursto, it could be your door lock timer has gone bad. I should have a few of the new style door lock timers. Also check this out: http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/door_locks.pdf

Ursto
Car: 1985 Nissan 300zx (Daily)
1986 Nissan 300zx turbo (Project)
1995 Infiniti J30t (Winter)

Oddly enough, my key fob no longer works (with a new battery in it) and the problem has fixed itself. DaFuq.

padzilla
Car: 1995 J30T

Hi swimshark,

I'm resurrecting this thread because my j30 drivers side door latch broke and now my drivers side door is completly stuck! I'm not ready to go spend money having someone diagnose my car so I'm set on trying to open the door and replace the latch myself (I already ordered my replacement latch). I've read this whole thread half a dozen times and I still don't understand how you can break the lock/latch mechanism with a screwdriver when the door is completly shut. Again I know this thread is years old but swimshark can you help explain to me how to open the door? Do I have to somehow pull the inside paneling off. I can visualize that, but then what? Where does the screwdriver go and how do you do it!?!?

I'd be so blessed to get your help,

Feel free to PM too.

Alex

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”