Infiniti use Regular Fuel ?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Chelsea John
Car: EX35

Does any of the Infiniti range run on Regular Fuel ? Five years ago when gas prices were fairly low price difference wasnt a big issue between regular and premium. Was about 10c. Today ,in Canada, difference can be as much as 20 - 25c. with costs today running now at $1.50 litre and expecting to increase further it only makes sense that my next vehicle uses regular fuel. I'm going to be looking to change my 2011 EX35 in the next 12-18 months.
Havent done much research but it was surprising that looking at the QX30 it says it requires Premium fuel ? Is that correct.
Work collegue has a Lincoln MKC 2.0t same size engine as the QX30 but has more hp and torque but uses reqular fuel.
Has anyone done any comparisons ? I'd appreciate your thoughts. thx.

Bocatrip

Not sure about the QX30 but for the most part....all other Infiniti models have always recommended premium fuel. Unfortunately...the salt in the wound is that most of the Infiniti line is quite thirsty! The new 2019 QX50 should be be somewhat more fuel efficient, but overall at this time the rest of the product line does suck fuel rapidly.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

QX30 is also premium, but not quite as thirsty!

Chelsea John

don't understand why the QX30 was designed to use premium. Surely with gas prices on the rise for the past two years it must have been on 'their' radar this would be a factor ?? or maybe not !!
Well for me it is now. In Canada Gas stations don't advertise premium prices. So there are wide price variations from station to station and it is beginning to really bother me knowing when I see the regular gas price im going to be paying a whole lot more.
sorry to Vent :-)
Thx.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

What does the manual say? My QX4 likes regular, but all my others like premium.

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

I use regular in my 2010 ex35. Started for the first 4 years with only premiun but afterwards used regular and mid grade. No problem. For the last 2 years. I’ve been using 75%-90% regular without issues. I keep wanting to alternate, I.e a tank of premiun for 2 of regular but i always forget. Maybe I get less power and maybe I get worse mpg, but I can’t tell.

Cheers

Chelsea John

If you do a search on Premium V Regular there's conflicting views.
Some say it's ok using regular though power maybe lower, whilst others say it could cause engine damage.
Manufacturer says if it recommends Premium then this has to used. Only use regular in an emergency.
Warranty could be voided etc etc..

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

‘Recommended” is not the same as “required”. Infiniti recommends premium fuel in our cars.

Cheers

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

ECU will retard the timing and reduce power if you use regular (to avoid detonation), and mileage will likely be a bit worse, but it shouldn't hurt anything, unless the regular grades don't have the same detergents as the premium grades where you get your gas. But I've read some analysis that says that when you factor in the mileage decrease, you pretty much come out the same by putting in premium since you don't fill up quite as often.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

no offense to anyone at all, but I never understood this dilemma. The money you spend is going to be the same in the long run, regardless of using premium or regular.
It does cost a few extra bucks per tank...but with all things being equal, you probably get about 1 mpg better with premium VS regular.
If I get 19 MPG with Premium and 18 MPG with Regular, Premium would get me 380 miles out of a tank. Regular would get me 360 miles. The 20 mile difference is basically $3 (the average price of that extra gallon) ... so that $3 saved by filling up with Regular instead of Premium ends up being spent on the extra gallon of gas that you wouldn't have needed if you filled it up with Premium... just like sherwooa mentioned.
:crazy: :yesnod :naughty: :facepalm: :gapteeth:
:werd:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Last post basically correct, the knock sensor simply detunes the timing a bit if knock is detected using the lower quality fuel.

Infiniti being a higher priced line naturally the OEM would look at the owners as having the extra cash to afford better fuel and it allows for more engine power the upper end cars brag about.

Chelsea John

"extra cash" too funny !!!!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”