Infiniti Red Bull Racing Controversy (WARNING: Maylaysian GP

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

It's only the second GP of the 2013 season and Infiniti Red Bull Racing is in the middle of a huge row. After the last set of pitstops, RBR led 1-2, with Mark Weber holding the lead and Sebastian Vettel in second. The team was concerned with getting maximum points without the two coming to grief. They put out orders to both drivers to 'hold position' to the checkered flag. Weber dialed back his engine controls to save fuel after being assured of victory.

Behind him, Vettel took matters into his own hands and went onto full attack. He eventually caught and passed Weber for the lead, holding it to the checkered flag. So RBR still took the Malaysian GP 1-2, but Vettel had a lot of 'splaining to to do. He apologized to Weber (who was pissed as hell) and the team. He said it was not "deliberate" and an "error" on his part in the post race interview.

But I'm not buying it- I think Vettel knew exactly what he was doing. Sure, he tried to patch things up afterwards, but even that rang hollow. He wanted the win and went for it. Who knows? The difference in points from first to second could even earn him another championship by year's end. But he certainly did some damage to his relationship with Weber and the team, but he may not even care much.

Even the RBR manager, Christian Horner, said there was little point in radioing in to Vettel and telling him to give the position back during the race. Horner so much as admitted that he and the team have little control, or influence over their German superstar. It'll be interesting to see if Weber gets the chance to turn the tables on his teammate later this year. And while I understand Vettel's motivation as a racer, this is the kind of move that can destroy a team's unity and lead to the kind of open warfare not seen since the Senna/Prost pairing at Mclaren in the 80's. Wonder how the Infiniti PR machine will spin this?

flohtingPoint
Car: 2004 Z16 Corvette Z06

Infiniti PR probably wont do anything. Vodaphone/Mercedes didn't do anything when Alonso and Hamilton were constantly at eachother's throats in 07, Renault didn't do anything when Webber and Vettel collided in '10 at Turkey, etc. The only time I can really recall a title sponsor doing anything was when ING pulled their sponsorship from Renault following the fallout of the Singapore incident.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”