Infiniti QX4 RPM surging

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
eagle4x
Car: ???

I have a 1998 Infiniti QX4. I took the car to an auto repair shop because the compressor and accumulator needed replacing. After the work was completed, I drove about a mile to my house and when I parked the car and put it in park the RPM increased to over 4K and I shut it off and tried again and it idled normally. I started the car and RPM increased to over 4K again. I drove the car back to the garage and the mechanic said that the accelerator cable was loose/bad and needed to be replaced. He said he noticed the problem with the fast idling when he pulled the car in the garage before he started replacing the compressor. I told the shop owner that it didn't have the RPM problem when I took the car to them, and he said he was irritated that the mechanic didn't mention it before I picked the car up. This mechanic has worked on different model cars I own and has replaced timing belts, done suspension work, etc. and has done excellent work. Any input on what you think is causing the problem in case it turns out his analysis that the accelerator cable needs replacing is incorrect?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I do not believe it is even remotely possible that a loose accelerator cable can have anything to do with that surge in RPM. It's more likely that the wrong compressor was installed or wiring was damaged in the process of installing it. It's also possible that the AC belt is too loose. When the AC is turned on, the engine compensates for the added load to keep it at a normal idle. A belt that is slipping because it is loose or worn can cause the engine to overcompensate for the air conditioning load when the AC is on, making the engine RPM surge.

macgiver

" Buried " mechanic error me thinks too.

eagle4x
Car: ???

macgiver wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:44 pm
" Buried " mechanic error me thinks too.
What do you mean by "buried"?

macgiver

Shop will NOT admit so they can shoooooooooooooooo you awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :lolling:
'scuse me.......................so sorry.......................6 2 and even ...............over & out :facepalm:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”