Infiniti QX4 headlights.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
JJsTruths
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Ok, so I had a ballast go out. So instead of buying a ridiculous high priced replacement even used, I bought a aftermarket hid kit. Got them installed and they definitely aren’t plug and play like they say. But u have 3 wires that go to your striker. I just used the power and ground and cut lose the factory striker. But somehow the vehicle senses that something isn’t right and just constantly runs the adjusters. I simply unplugged them. But it would be nice to actually have the headlight adjust like they’re supposed to without running the motor the whole time. Does anyone know what would make them work like factory. Or the wire I need to hook up so it senses right? And hooked to what, ground or power output from the input side of ballast?

JJsTruths

Oh it’s a 2001. Guess that would help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The aiming motors get their control signal directly from the headlight aiming switch on the BLK/RED wires. The switch is a "voltage divider" outputting an analog signal, and the motors have their own built-in smartwork to measure the voltage level. The motors running constantly implies the switch signal is "floating" because the connection is open. You must have done something that compromised either the signal wires or the headlight circuit grounds. Go back over your wiring.

JJsTruths

Must be the ground that runs into the striker then. Cause it did have a 3rd ground but I just had to wire mine into the main ballast harness not the secondary. I’ll ground those and see. Thanks.

Legend11
Car: My Car: 2001.0 Infiniti QX4
Dad's Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4

Did you have any luck with the conversion kit? I'm having issues with mine and my dad's (both 2001) and I want to scrap the oem setup. hoping for something that works well in the oem headlamp.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”