Infiniti newbie question: premium fuel

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
yhz123
Car: JX35

hello,

I'm new to Infiniti after 15 years of Pathfinders and new to this forum. I'll be picking up my JX35 tomorrow morning.
Do I really need to use premium fuel?

thanks.

Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

Does the manual say premium recommended or premium required? If it says required then yes I would only use premium. If its recommended you may be able to get away with using 87, but personally I would use what the Infiniti engineers recommended to use. Using premium should ensure optimum performance and longetivity. If you're enough of a baller to be buying a JX, you should splurge on the premium :)

If you do use a cheaper grade listen to the engine closely, if you hear even the slightest bit of a pinging sound fill it back up with premium immediately.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You should be able to run regular (87) octane without a problem. Even VQ35DE equipped Pathfinders will tolerate 87. For best performance and possibly a very small improvement in fuel economy, I'd run premium in any vehicle that recommends it. See here for more info about octane if you are unfamiliar with the concept.

Welcome to NICO.

ballz3
Car: 2010 Black G37xS
2013 Black JX35

I just picked up my JX on Friday. The manual states the same as my G37, which is premium is required (91). It states that in an emergency you can put a couple of gallons of regular in there, but to go back to premium as soon as possible.

yhz123

Have been driving my JX for seven days now. I'm not sure what grade of fuel my JX came with from the dealer, but I averaged 13 L/100km (I'm in Canada) for a week of 100 percent city driving. This works out to about 18 MPG and I drove 550 kilometers before filling the tank. Going on a road trip tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see what fuel economy I get for all highway driving.

sherryhj1
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX, 2012 Nissan Altima S, 1997 Maxima GLE

yhz123 wrote:Have been driving my JX for seven days now. I'm not sure what grade of fuel my JX came with from the dealer, but I averaged 13 L/100km (I'm in Canada) for a week of 100 percent city driving. This works out to about 18 MPG and I drove 550 kilometers before filling the tank. Going on a road trip tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see what fuel economy I get for all highway driving.

I have owned my JX35 since April, and have consistently been getting 20 mpg on average with premium fuel. ON a 750 mile trip to Missouri from Georgia, I averaged only about 23 mpg highway...not a big jump considering it was 90% highway. But I LOVE my JX and wouldn't trade it for the world.

LateralG
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35
2001 Infiniti QX4 (Auctioned and SOLD!)
2009 BMW 335i

We've been using Arizona premium 92 octane and haven't done very well with MPG and we drive in the standard (non-eco) setting. The best we've been able to get since June has been 17.6 and that includes an Phx-LA roundtrip where we got 18.2 at best. That being said we just had the fuel system recall done and the MPG has already improved quite a bit. Not sure if the actual MPG has improved or just the way the car reports it to the computer...

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I should update what some have been discussing. The Owner's Manual initially states to use Premium only, but then there is a supplement or correction to the original manual that states Regular fuel may be used, but there may be a drop in performance.

I plan to use premium, I like all the power I can get, and for the price, it is worth it. I only have about 200 miles on my JX, but I am right around 19-20mpg, and of course this should improve after the engine breaks in.

OneOfOne

my salesman told me you can use regular or premium. this is a question that could be answered by the op if only he had read the manual or asked the salesman. 91 or higher gives better performance and mileage but you dont need it in this vehicle. I think its pretty stupid to buy a vehicle that costs this much and then worry about less than 6 dollars a tank of gas worst case.

Missouri Swede
Car: 2022 QX60 Sensory AWD. Deep Bordeaux.

[Gone:
2012 G37x. Graphite Shadow. Navigation and Premium Package. Retired in 2021.
2013 JX35. Midnight Garnet. Premium Package. Replaced with QX60 in 2022.]

OneOfOne wrote:this is a question that could be answered by the op if only he had read the manual or asked the salesman.
I've noted that Infiniti salesmen sometimes give information that contradicts what's in the owner's manual. So which do you believe? (I don't have the answer; just pointing out that the answers can be different.)

By the way, I see that the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is listed as regular fuel recommended on the Nissan website; a local dealer website lists it as premium recommended.

Timmbo

Original JX manual states Premium only, but with that there is an addendum stating Premium suggested for maximum performance, but regular is fine. I choose to run Premium in my JX.

mistyque

I purchased a used JX with 13k miles. The dealer filled the tank with regular fuel and informed me that it is OK to add regular. The mileage dropped to 18 on highway. On my first fill up I used the premium and now I get 22.8 on highway. Premium definitely improves overall performance.

Timmbo

Yes, it sure does, and also increases performance as well!

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”