Infiniti M56 Exhaust feedback making one for the M community

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
andre1038
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t (Sold)
1990 Nissan 300zx (RB Project)
1994 300zx Twin turbo (500hp Daily)
2012 M56s
1998 Infiniti Q45 black on black (Sold)
1996 Infiniti G20
1992 Infiniti Q45 (R.I.P)

Hi guys my name is andrew posted up the spark plug diy awhile back in February, still need to finish it actually been busy at the shop getting the last few customer cars before i move the shop into a bigger facility. So the m56 i have in the family its time to play with it, just hit 100k the other day so yea time for some exhaust notes coming out the back

Now heres the issue i have bumped into only stillen seems to make the only bolt on one in the market and it still doesnt seem to fix the restrictiveness at certain sections of the exhaust. Was wondering since im gonna custom make the one in the m56 i have seems like a cool idea to mass produce one that will fix the issues of the oem one.

Im gonna do it for myself for sure but dont mind going the extra mile if its something i can produce maybe not mass produce but make a couple sets.

Was also thinking doing v-band on different sections

Comments and concerns below and maybe how much would everybody willing to spend.

Was also thinking quad tip exhaust not sure what everyone feels

Let me know. ill post pics of when i do mines with the car in the air. After the move

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

I hope you go through with this, because the community needs it.

I have a custom built 2.25 exhaust. The Y-pipe was cut away from the cats and replaced with an X-pipe. X-pipes preserve sound, torque, and eliminate any unwanted rasp. Further back, the resonators were replaced with 2.25 straight pipes. The rear muffler cans were left stock. My suggestion to you is make sure to keep the piping 2.25. And also offer two types of exhausts:

Performance
Super Sport

The performance exhaust would basically be what I have (X-pipe + straight pipes), so the Y-pipe and resonators would be removed.
The Super Sport would be the above, but with aftermarket mufflers and quad exhaust (two outlets per muffler).

Stillen is a downright rip off for wanting $1000 for their exhaust, considering mine cost $250 in parts and AND labor. The parts themselves amount to about $50, the other $200 was labor. My exhaust added a bunch of power. There's adds none. So if you start making these, I'd assume your total cost per exhaust would be $250-300. But you'd also need to make a profit on your work, cover some overhead or cover the cost of manufacturing - so $600 for a Performance version would be very fair. And $750-800 for the full Super Sport should cover the expense of the added mufflers, since mufflers are fairly expensive pieces.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

AlphaSnacks wrote:I hope you go through with this, because the community needs it.

I have a custom built 2.25 exhaust. The Y-pipe was cut away from the cats and replaced with an X-pipe. X-pipes preserve sound, torque, and eliminate any unwanted rasp. Further back, the resonators were replaced with 2.25 straight pipes. The rear muffler cans were left stock. My suggestion to you is make sure to keep the piping 2.25. And also offer two types of exhausts:

Performance
Super Sport

The performance exhaust would basically be what I have (X-pipe + straight pipes), so the Y-pipe and resonators would be removed.
The Super Sport would be the above, but with aftermarket mufflers and quad exhaust (two outlets per muffler).

Stillen is a downright rip off for wanting $1000 for their exhaust, considering mine cost $250 in parts and AND labor. The parts themselves amount to about $50, the other $200 was labor. My exhaust added a bunch of power. There's adds none. So if you start making these, I'd assume your total cost per exhaust would be $250-300. But you'd also need to make a profit on your work, cover some overhead or cover the cost of manufacturing - so $600 for a Performance version would be very fair. And $750-800 for the full Super Sport should cover the expense of the added mufflers, since mufflers are fairly expensive pieces.
This.

I may be interested in this new exhaust you will create. Need to be high quality though as I live in NY and winters DESTROY our cars.

andre1038
2012 M56s
1996 Infiniti G20

I like the idea of x pipe since thats what i have in my Z. X-pipes adds a nice tone and eliminates that rasp and believe or not between a X pipe and H pipe the X will out flow the H and i have seen it proven before my eyes on the Dyno with the Z's. The budget the M56 has is about 1 grand to make a nice exhaust with upgraded mufflers shooting for quad tips we will see.

The goal is to either make a superior unit than the Stillen's for the same price they offer theirs or maybe make it where it costs a hair under 1k so it doesnt hurt too horribly. Im gonna shop around for mufflers now so when i move into the new warehouse facility June 1st thats something i really want to do since i see there is a way to make some money and also gives us M guys another option. The M56 is such a cruiser bruiser and the track is literally 1 min away from the new location so i know these cars can hit very very low 13's all day i wonder if making a nice true exhaust on this car will let it kiss the very very high 12's

I just like these things so maybe its something i can contribute to this community. I do have a fabricator that helps me with personal projects at the shop and this would be one of those moments

every one like 2.25? or want to step it up to 2.5.

I run 2.5 in my Twin turbo Z but going 3 inch and taper down to 2.5 so...maybe 2.5 taper down to 2.25? not sure i know you dont want to go tooo big on a NA powered car but any comments are appreciated.

andre1038
2012 M56s
1996 Infiniti G20

O and i forgot to mention it has to be stainless steel or aluminium (not sure on this one due to the up north guys) me and my buddy the fabricator (he makes manifolds from scratch) will make a game plan for the M56S i have here and put both our heads together to see where we can improve the flow of the exhaust.

Hopefully the 1k budget covers the materials

TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

You can check my exhaust thread for some good info:
m56-sport-custom-exhaust-t589893.html

I would prefer if the exhaust replaces the secondary cats as my current exhaust does. The pre-cats are fairly restrictive so there are no issues with smell or heavy smoke. It also increases the sound a bit. I have dual 2.5 piping into an X pipe back out straight into my stock mufflers. I occasionally put a gap in the muffler flange to essentially do a muffler delete and it sounds absolutely amazing. If I could bridge the gap between how mine sounds with the stock mufflers and without them, that'd be perfect.

mexillis
Car: M45s

put in the Magnaflow 11386 Stainless Steel 2.5" Oval Muffler instead of just an X pipe and you can probly get rid of the mufflers and put tips, that would be for a true V8 sound. Thats how my m45 was set up and it sounded good. Now I need to get rid of my fujitsubo axle backs and hit up MBS to make my old set up again...

TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

Wait. So you're the guy that owns the M45 that they have pics up of on their site? That pic is the only reason they considered deleting my secondary cats. They were acting funny about it until I showed them their own work. Smh. They do great work though. Do you have any clips of how it sounded?

AlphaSnacks

andre1038 wrote:I like the idea of x pipe since thats what i have in my Z. X-pipes adds a nice tone and eliminates that rasp and believe or not between a X pipe and H pipe the X will out flow the H and i have seen it proven before my eyes on the Dyno with the Z's. The budget the M56 has is about 1 grand to make a nice exhaust with upgraded mufflers shooting for quad tips we will see.

The goal is to either make a superior unit than the Stillen's for the same price they offer theirs or maybe make it where it costs a hair under 1k so it doesnt hurt too horribly. Im gonna shop around for mufflers now so when i move into the new warehouse facility June 1st thats something i really want to do since i see there is a way to make some money and also gives us M guys another option. The M56 is such a cruiser bruiser and the track is literally 1 min away from the new location so i know these cars can hit very very low 13's all day i wonder if making a nice true exhaust on this car will let it kiss the very very high 12's

I just like these things so maybe its something i can contribute to this community. I do have a fabricator that helps me with personal projects at the shop and this would be one of those moments

every one like 2.25? or want to step it up to 2.5.

I run 2.5 in my Twin turbo Z but going 3 inch and taper down to 2.5 so...maybe 2.5 taper down to 2.25? not sure i know you dont want to go tooo big on a NA powered car but any comments are appreciated.
A stock M56S RWD runs 13.0 stock on a hot day. The right conditions allow this car to run high 12s already. You should be aiming at mid-12s. Which with a tune is extremely easy to achieve - MajesticKing is an example of that.

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Any updates on this?

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

I would be interested in a set as well. Quad tips would look cool especially to show off the V8 and it would be nice to have more growl especially on a cold start. My 2007 G35x sedan's exhaust seems to sound a lot better on a cold start than the M56. Honestly every time I start the M56 it's a major disappointment, maybe the G set the bar too high? My biggest concern would be droning while coasting on the highway.

AlphaSnacks

This car doesn't drone with an exhaust. That should be the least of your concerns.

JCesar

any work on one for a M37x?

mexillis
Car: M45s

@themajestic king, the car on MBS was a different M but I do know the owner of that one. I do have clips if you look on youtube for my screen name. Let me know if you head to any meets as im up in your neck of the woods now.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”