Infiniti m35 lug nut issue

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Kavin01
Car: Infiniti M35

Hello everybody, I have a 2006 Infiniti m35 base and I am trying to put the 19” sport rims on. I tried using the 12x25 acorn lug nuts but they are too short. Anybody know what size lug nut to use?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

If the stock lug nuts do not fit because the studs are too long then it may very well be that you have extended length studs on the car. Either from the previous owner, previous wheel hub spacer install, or incorrect replacement studs purchased.
You could buy a 5 or 10mm hub spacer to bring the wheel out a bit and make the "acorn" nuts fit
https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-Wheel ... B01LXLJ5G1
https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-5x114 ... 847&sr=8-3

The thickness you want would be however much the nuts have space they need to go. 5mm is a little under 1/4" and 12mm is basically a 1/2". You dont want to go too much because then the nuts wont have many threads and you lose strength.

Kavin01

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:54 am
If the stock lug nuts do not fit because the studs are too long then it may very well be that you have extended length studs on the car. Either from the previous owner, previous wheel hub spacer install, or incorrect replacement studs purchased.
You could buy a 5 or 10mm hub spacer to bring the wheel out a bit and make the "acorn" nuts fit
https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-Wheel ... B01LXLJ5G1
https://www.amazon.com/Hubcentric-5x114 ... 847&sr=8-3

The thickness you want would be however much the nuts have space they need to go. 5mm is a little under 1/4" and 12mm is basically a 1/2". You dont want to go too much because then the nuts wont have many threads and you lose strength.

They told me either the lug nut is short or the studs are too short. I later gave them longer lug nuts and the rims were still not fitting. Is it the studs that need to be changed then?

EdBwoy

This seems really odd. Can you post some pictures of the parts youre dealing with?

What is pictured here (from L to R) is:
1. non-OEM acorn style
2. OEM shank or mag style
3. OEM capped acorn nut
4. OEM non-capped acorn nut (used in applications where they are covered by wheel caps)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1614276616488.jpg

EniGmA1987

That is very interesting. I did not know there were so many OEM lug nuts, and those have quite a big difference on how deep the stud can go. I wish I remembered which ones my 19" sport rims had used. It has been so long since I had those on my car though I just dont remember.

@Kavin Have you changed the studs since you owned the car? Are you the first owner of the car? By now I would think that everyone has replaced the studs at least once on a car this old. Perhaps the wrong length studs were installed.

EdBwoy

Enigma, the OEM 19" sport wheels take the 3rd lug nut, the capped one.

The uncapped one is essentially the same lug nut, but some bean counter figured that they'd be saving a whole lot of money if they only sold 2/3 of a lug nut.
Just kidding, that shorter height enables it to fit under those large diameter wheel caps like what the base model 18" wheels came with. Plus, no concerns for appearance.

The shank style lug nut with a washer is the OEM nut for most newer Nissan wheels. I am not sure when they switched to that on other platforms, but the M switched in 2011 with the Y51.

The left-most lug nut happens to be the correct 12x1.25 thread for our lug studs. It also has the proper seat for the OEM Y50 wheels, which is always something to pay attention to while buying non OEM.

Since this is a safety issue, allow me to offer more info, and perhaps an anecdote.

I retained that aftermarket one as a sample when I gave a friend some OEM lug nuts from my stash. He had had a spate of wobbly wheels, loose and disappearing lug nuts, along with stripped and broken studs and asked me to help him make sense of it.

I came to find out he had a mix of lug nuts sourced from like 6 different places, and he kept messing with them when he switched between his aftermarket and OEM wheels.
1. There were a few OEM lug nuts on OEM studs.
2. There were OEM lug nuts on aftermarket studs.
3. There were a few aftermarket nuts on original studs.
4. Some of the aftermarket lug nuts were the OEM style, and some were "tuner lugs".
5. Some of the aftermarket studs were the wrong thread for OEM nuts.
6. Some of the aftermarket studs were a different thread, but had a matching nut somewhere else.
7. As you can imagine, this was a perfect recipe for thread damage, and several studs and nuts did get damaged.
8. Not surprisingly, some studs were broken.

To remedy it, I was able to play musical lugnuts to match the off-spec nuts to their respective off-spec studs, and patched him up in readiness for the road. I pointed out that this was just a bandaid and he should strongly consider buying a full set of proper studs and lug nuts.

I don't know if he ever did, but he went on his merry way while I made sure to stay the hell out of his way.

Kavin01

I tried using the same lug nuts my 18" oem rims had. They told me it was too short. So I brought longer ones. They're 12x1.25 still, but just longer. I went to them with these lugnuts, and something still wasn't right. Is it the studs that are the issue?

EniGmA1987

Kavin01 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:42 pm
I tried using the same lug nuts my 18" oem rims had. They told me it was too short. So I brought longer ones. They're 12x1.25 still, but just longer. I went to them with these lugnuts, and something still wasn't right. Is it the studs that are the issue?
Measure the stud length sticking out of the wheel hub, then measure the thickness of the area on the rims the stud goes through and add that to the length the studs can go into the nuts. The rim+nut length should be a minimum of 1/32" more than the stud length, but no more than 3/16 difference.
If the stud length is longer or the same than the rim+nut math you did, then the rim will not be secured properly. You can fix this by either replacing your studs or installing a wheel hub spacer. Do not get spacers that are too big, you need a proper amount of threads on the stud to secure into the nut. This should really be a bare minimum of 3/8" thread in the nut.
Also make sure the new nuts you got fit into the "wells" in the rim. If the nuts are too large to fit in the areas designed for them, then you do not have the right nuts.

Im not really sure why this is turning out to be such an issue. Any decent tire shop should be able to sort it out and get everything set very easily.
Last edited by EniGmA1987 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kavin01

Attached is file of the new lug nut.
Attachments
File_000 (2) (1).jpg

Kavin01

Okay, I think I will get wheel spacers so the rims fit securely.

EniGmA1987

Kavin01 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:06 pm
Attached is file of the new lug nut.
Oh my gosh, that thing is HUGE. Never seen a lug nut so long. Definitely the wrong one. You would use one that long if you were using something like a 50mm hub spacer, which wont even fit on the car without other modifications to the body panels.

Just take the car and rims to a real tire shop. Tell them you want to install the new wheels on the car and ask them to do it for you and tell them you do not have the proper lug nuts for them. They will sort it out very easily.

EdBwoy

Yeah, if even such a long lug nut is being considered too short, there is a bigger issue going on.
I am curious to see the wheels you're trying to install, and if you might have taken pictures of the hub area when the wheel was off.

I know you already took it to someone, but I'd do as EniGmA suggests and take it to a wheel & tire shop. Even a dealership can help you make sense of your wheel - lug nut - stud issue.

Kavin01

I'm literally just trying to install 19" sport rims (OEM). I really don't know what the issue is.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”