Infiniti G35 replacing the Skyline?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

does the new G35 replace the skyline?thats what i was told by a friend of mine, but i dont like to beleive it...can anyone confirm?did nissan release a 2002 or a 2003 skyline?

i dont care what you guys chant about your hachi roku, the skyline and the silvia will always be the drift kings!not the g35....it IS really nice though :)

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

From what i know yes, the same chassis that is

IMO, i think the G35 is extremely homely looking.... :squint

doesn't do a thing for me at all...whatever happened to that wicked R35 computer-generated concept?

http://www.4unlimitedspeed.com....html

Now what is wrong with that???

Daunttless

Its ugly and they already said the GT-R was dead.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Pardon my ignorance please, but who is the F*cking Genius at Nissan that is killing off the good cars? I am a fan of the G35, but come on.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I am not sure were this info came from.

Yes, the G35 is based on the Skyline Platform but there are currently no plans on replacing teh sky w/ the G.

Two differnt markets.

Fred...:)

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

The Skyline has two different chassis'. One is the R34 and the other is the V35. The R34 is the world reknown GT-R that everybody drools over. The V35 is known as the Skyline sedan in the JDM market, and the G35 in the USDM market.

The R34 has been discontinued (2002 was the last year), and will be replaced by the R35 (the prototype GT-R shown at a few car shows). The R35 will now be known as simply the "GT-R" in Japan. The Skyline name will only be associated with the V35 chassis.

The R35 is supposed to come to the U.S. also, in either 2004 or 2005. I have not heard what it will be called in the U.S. "GT-R" is likely, sharing the name with the JDM version. Skyline is also a possibility, since the JDM Skyline is the USDM G35. But most likely, is the R35, following Infiniti's naming tradition of one letter, followed by displacement. It just so happens that the R35 chassis will have a 3.5L engine (rumored).

ninjak84

who is the genius at nissan?more like who is the genius in japan!!the prelude and integra have also been cut off forever..... now i'm not the biggest honda fan, but those are two really nice cars with amazing potential. but i guess it happens to all cars eventually.... *sniff*:(

InstantRice

I think the integra was dropped in favor of the rsx. As far as the prelude i guess they wherent selling enough to turn a nice profit. Which sux cause it was one of the few respectable hondas.

Repo Man

ninjak84 wrote:who is the genius at nissan?more like who is the genius in japan!!the prelude and integra have also been cut off forever..... now i'm not the biggest honda fan, but those are two really nice cars with amazing potential. but i guess it happens to all cars eventually.... *sniff*:(
Yeah, it's as though the virus that has destroyed GM has spread around the world. I hope it never reaches Europe. At least THEY still know how to make cars!

Just what the world needs, another damn SUV. <--general statement of opinion. not really relevant to anything.

:puke

ninjak84

speaking of europe and SUV's, heres a really lame thing for me to report...

PORSCHE IS MAKING AN SUVhttp://www.spiegel.de/auto/akt....html

its really dumb, but its happening :rolleyes

Repo Man

Sprichst du Deutsch?

Haha, anyway, that's actually one SUV I would drive! The top engine option puts out like 444bhp or some crazy s*** like that. There was a thread not too long ago on this one. Maybe it was on the old board.

I guess I like SUV's that are actually intended to go off road instead of just being glorified grocery haulers. I had a '00 Chevy ZR 2 Blazer and it would go just about anywhere. I found though that I didn't have much use for it in Indianapolis! If I were in a rural area, that would be different. This new Porsche is supposed to be a beast off road.

PalmerWMD

repo man wrote:Sprichst du Deutsch?
Ich weiss nicht ob Ninja Deutsch spricht, aber ich spreche es einigermassen..

Fred...:D

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

ich kann einen Übersetzer benutzen, um wirklich schlechtes Deutsches zu sprechen:) Ich bezweifele, daß ninja Deutsches sprechen kann.

ninjak84

"Ninja Deutsch ":confused: i'm pretty sure i've been called a douschebag..... :(

Daunttless

Thank you altavista. : )

ninjak84

nevermind, i got it.....

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

ninjak84 wrote:i dont care what you guys chant about your hachi roku, the skyline and the silvia will always be the drift kings!not the g35....it IS really nice though :)
i've still yet to find the purpose of drifting. am i missing something?

ninjak84

theres alot of purposes!

- it looks really really good if you see someone doing it- it takes skill - if you can do it well, when you're racing you can take turns MUCH better- you lose less speed through turns- its really fun pushing your suspension and RWD to the limits

the next time you watch a car commercial for someone like subaru or mitsubishi, take a careful look. i'll bet the car is drifting in the comercial. i know the new subaru one (where they show the rally car at the end) shows the car doing MAD drifts, and it takes my breath away.

driftings also kind of a status symbol.... its like being able to do a flip on a snowboard, or a wheelie on a motorbike.

Mayhem_J30

ninjak84 wrote:theres alot of purposes!

- it looks really really good if you see someone doing it- it takes skill - if you can do it well, when you're racing you can take turns MUCH better- you lose less speed through turns- its really fun pushing your suspension and RWD to the limits

the next time you watch a car commercial for someone like subaru or mitsubishi, take a careful look. i'll bet the car is drifting in the comercial. i know the new subaru one (where they show the rally car at the end) shows the car doing MAD drifts, and it takes my breath away.

driftings also kind of a status symbol.... its like being able to do a flip on a snowboard, or a wheelie on a motorbike.
i thought the quickest way the quietest way?(on a paved course)looking cool doesn't work for me when it comes to shredding your tires.

Manglefish

I agree that drifting looks cool, but its definately not the quickest way around a turn. Watch some racing (that's not rally), I garuntee you they arent doing power slides around the curves.

Mayhem_J30

Article from this month's Road & Track

"-Nissan reaches for the Skyline

Nissan President Carlos Ghosn has two criteria for building a new car: First, it must quicken your pulse and, most important of all, it has to be profitable. The proposed next-generation GT-R will have no problem doing the former; the question is, can it accomplish the latter?Most Nissan people think it can; therefore, plans are underwayy to create a new GT-R, one that would be marketed in the U.S. We've seen the show-car version of the GT-R at the last Tokyo MOtor Show, but insiders tell us that the production version will come in a slightly different form.Right now, the NIssan team seems to be split into two separate powertrain camps. One feels that a twin-turbocharged version of the VQ engine (the 350Z's V-6) is the way to go. The other maintains that any GT-R must be equipped with a V-8. In either case, you can expect ouput to be about 450 bhp.Another question the company is wrestling with is whether the car should wear a Nissan or an Infiniti badge.The 2+2 R35 coupe will come with the current Skyline GT-R's all-wheel-drive and all-wheel-steering systems, as well as a suspension system tuned by Nismo, the company's racing arm.Estimates put the R35's price around $70,000. Look for the car to make an appearance sometime in 2004 at the earliest."

What motor do you guys think they will choose? The TT'd 3.5 seems unlikely since there's rumors for a SC'd 3.5. It just doesn't seem right leaving the 350Z n/a if there's a motor out there under boost.

ninjak84

i would stick with the TT setup for the new GTR....if it were any OTHER manufacturer, i would go SC, but not Nissan.why?

nissan built its sports car heritage on the TT in my view, under the 300zx. even though the XTerra is supercharged, i dont think it would be "nissan" to supercharge a car out of the factory. thats just my opinion.even if it was faster, i would rather take a TT 300zx or 350z than a SC.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

1. The Prelude was dropped because it sold something like 10k units last year. I'm glad its gone, what is the purpose of 200hp FWD car that weighs 3200lbs?

2. Why in the world is Nissan dropping all their turbo platforms? I read somewhere that the S15 will be discontinued soon....not sure what they are replacing it with.

3. I think the G35 looks nice. But I can't understand what Nissan is doing....they are going to put a coupe out next year...which is essentially a Z with different headlights/tailights.

4. The R35 concept is extremely disgusting, in my opinion. And WTF is the deal with a possible V8, I'm sorry but if I wanted a V8 for 70k, I'd buy a Vette, or a used Viper and get a V10. I may be wrong, but the reason American import enthusiasts are mad that we are shortchanged is because we don't get TURBOS. Subaru and Mitsu are at least doing it right.

5. The VQ35DE is a great motor, but on every board I go to, especially Z boards, everyone wants to know when turbo versions are coming out...(Did you know that Nissan has a production VQ25DET in Japan?? They should put that in EVERYTHING). I don't understand how Nissan expects the Z to compete with other turbo Japanese cars, such as the RX-7, ect.

Sorry for the long post, but Nissan is F***ing up big time in my opinion.

PalmerWMD

Hmmm, Ich brauche keinen Ubersetzer...:D

Fred...:oface

Mayhem_J30

APEXi240 wrote: I don't understand how Nissan expects the Z to compete with other turbo Japanese cars, such as the RX-7, ect.
What other turbo cars? The rx-7 is not in production and neither is the supra. Right now the Z is in a class all alone.

Bbill528
Car: Cars, running, skiing

actually a base stock prelude weighs LESS than 3,000 lbs, 2960 lbs or something. So it's not THAT heavy.

sr20meplease
Car: cars

i think the s15 was droped to make room for the 350z and alot of turbo cars are gone because of the piping and mass producing the parts and some bull crap...thats how its was explained to me...the skyline sedan should go to infinity and the gt-r nissan...no offense but infinity in my mind isn't a sports car company...off topic...has anyone seen a 350z in person...i saw one on the road and it didn't look as good as it did in the pictures...it kinda looked like a celica and s2000 combined on a porsche body in my mind.....

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Prelude SH is 3200lbs, but I've driven both a base and SH, and they both just feel heavy, or maybe its that they have no torque. Either way....good riddance.

Actually the RX-7 is in its last year of production, they are offering a special edition, with bigger brakes, a race wheel, and i believe recaro seats....but they may be some other kind of race seats....

I think that its a** that turbos are going away....

The S15 was probably dropped to make way for the z....i read in a magazine somewhere there there is barely a price gap for it to fit into, between the sentra se-r and the z....but i don't really see that as feasable.

Mayhem_J30

APEXi240 wrote:Prelude SH is 3200lbs, but I've driven both a base and SH, and they both just feel heavy, or maybe its that they have no torque. Either way....good riddance.

Actually the RX-7 is in its last year of production, they are offering a special edition, with bigger brakes, a race wheel, and i believe recaro seats....but they may be some other kind of race seats....

I think that its a** that turbos are going away....

The S15 was probably dropped to make way for the z....i read in a magazine somewhere there there is barely a price gap for it to fit into, between the sentra se-r and the z....but i don't really see that as feasable.
They still make the RX-7 and it's offered in the states? :confused: That's news to me. I thought they stopped making it in the late 90's.

sr20meplease
Car: cars

the rx7's are still produced but only in japan

Return to “General Chat”