infiniti g20, running problems

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
harris24
Car: 1991 g20

Hello

i'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on this problem as i am totally out, sorry for the long post but i'm trying to give as much info as possible

the car is an infiniti g2o 1991,

the problem stareted a couple of days ago when the car was hard to start, i got a couple of feet down the road and it started to die, i put it in park and had to give it lots of gas to keep it running, got a couple more feet down the road and it lost power totally like it wasn't getting fuel, i put it in park and had to give it lots of gas to keep it running, i turned around and headed back for home, with my foot flat to the floor on the gas it had a top speed of around 5mph,
after getting home it ran for around 20 minutes but it was picking up and dieing off the whole time like a missfire or fuel problem, the fuel pump was spinning fine and putting gas out at the pipe,

after leaving it a couple of days i got time to work on it, this time i couldn't hear the fuel pump so stripped it down and it had a lose wire, after fixing this and getting it back together that car started and ran fine for around 20minutes, i left it to idle and then it died, when i started it again the problem was back it runs like its missing spark or fuel, the fuel pump is working fine still kicking out gas but it just wont run,

it will start up fine every turn of the key but the engine is jumping like its missfireing, when you give it gas it either doesn't pick up at all and dies or just runs at the same speed as idle,

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Welcome to NICO!

I don't have a lot of G20 experience, but if I had to guess - I'd look toward a bad MAF (mass air flow meter). You might also check the quantity and pressure output of your fuel pump. The pump can partially fail, putting out enough fuel to idle, while not putting out enough pressure or volume to run the engine at higher RPMs.

The '94 FSM should be pretty close to your car in terms of the fuel and MAF systems. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G20/

Heath

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”