Infiniti FX35 Headlight problem

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
macymac1
Car: Infiniti FX35

I didn't notice how the headlights cut off your forward field of vision until I was driving inthe Santa Cruz mountains on a dark night. Could not see 30 feet in front of me. On either side of me, I could see the mountains on both side lit up perfectly; but could not see straight ahead? I adjusted lights and still could not see ahead. Had to follow a semi truck all the way through and went 30 mi an hour.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That's a common issue with Xenons, I think a bulb upgrade is a definitie improvement.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in as to what specific change to make...

Welcome aboard, macymac!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Stick to a Xenon bulb within the Kelvin Temperature rating for the electrical harness.

35r
Car: 2004 FX35

My dealer just replaced the headlights of my 2004 FX35 under the current recall.Until the replacement, I found that lowbeam visibility in the distance wasn't great but acceptable.With the new lights however, the visibility is terrible (like the original poster).The beams now seem to be positioned downward and there is little to no illumination beyond the Xenon 'line' on the road maybe 40ish feet in front of me. I only have about 1 second of visibility.Would the replacements be inferior? Could direction be adjusted? Any feedback would be appreciated... I would hate to have to upgrade or now purchase new lights since the first ones did work.

On another note.... driverdriver, I see that you are from Toronto. Are you aware of any mechanics in the north or east T.O. area adept with Infinitis/FX35s? My local mechanic that I've had great success with in the past is a little unfamiliar with my FX and has had to send me to the dealer for different maintenance items. The 2 dealers that I've been to leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks

dlynch

We had the recall done and the dealer didn't align the headlights. Went back--they said they would have to reserve the headlight aimer and it would take months to get their turn.I wouldn't have the recall done again...wish I could turn the clock back!

Regards,DaveToronto

gbelnap
Car: 78 280Z, 04 FX35, 06 G35

Had the recall done on my 04 two weeks ago, now the fogs do not work and the alignment stinks.

Really disappointed in my dealer.

Glen04 FX35

GixxerSteve
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35, 2003 Infiniti G35

This is a common issue we've seen over on infinitifx.org. When the headlights are replaced with the new ones per the recall, the dealers are aiming the headlights lower. Thus you only see about 30-40 feet out in front of your FX. Many of the owners have simply popped the hood and adjusted the headlamps out to an acceptable distance. In fact, some have even set the adjustment knob on the console to 1 or 2 and then adjusted the headlamps to a "normal" height, that way when no one is around they can bump the setting up to zero and get excellent illumination without turning on the high beams.

MacyMac1 stated that he/she adjusted the headlamps to no affect, but this is because the adjustment knob on the console is set at zero for normal driving. If you're headlamps are aimed too low on the zero setting, you can't go any higher. Settings 1, 2 and 3 are used when you are towing a trailer or have a heavy payload, and need the headlamps to be aimed lower than the zero (base) setting. Therefore, the only way to fix this is to pop the hood and adjust the actual headlamp.

To adjust the headlamps yourself, obviously park your FX on level ground facing a wall about 30 feet away. The adjustment screw for each side is on the top of the headlamp, indicated by the red arrow in the picture below. Use a phillips screw driver. I'm not sure which direction goes which way, but you can figure it out fairly easily. Adjust the lights evenly to a level you prefer, just don't go too high and blind oncoming drivers.

Picture here ----> http://www.infinitifx.org/phpB...t=333

BTW, the kelvin temperature of the D2S bulbs has nothing to do with the problem, and changing them will do absolutely nothing to fix the issue of the projectors being aimed too low.

Modified by GixxerSteve at 7:42 PM 8/12/2007
Modified by GixxerSteve at 7:43 PM 8/12/2007

w07fx35
Car: 2007 Infiniti FX35

my FX35 doesnt have headlight problem, it is bright, i can see far awaybut the car was dead 500 miles, was towed to infinit twice during first month

i got the car last month, and i cant start up the car nowcalled Infiniti, their services sucks

paid for the car, but i have no car to drive right now

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”