Infiniti EX35 reliability

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly.

Thanks to the help of NICOClub and its members, for which I am very grateful, the Versa and G35 have been among the best represented models. Hopefully we can do the same with the EX35.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Auto reliability research

Mark Booth

I've enrolled and posted my first mileage numbers for the EX35.

It's interesting to look at the mileage numbers for other cars I was considering. Particularly the Mazda CX-7/CX-9 and Infiniti G35. I guess I drive with a lighter foot but I'm seeing better mileage than most of those responses, even with similar driving terrain/conditions.

Thanks!

Mark

mkaresh

You're welcome.

If enough owners sign up in the next few weeks, we can have an initial result for the EX35 in May.

Vehicle reliability research

michel
Car: 2008 fully loaded EX35 AWD Dark Currant and Stone interior

I've sgned up. what next?

mkaresh

Once it looks like enough EX35 owners will be particpating, I'll add it to the survey and you'll start receiving regular emails with links to said survey. Until then, nothing. Though you're welcome to participate in the on-site Repair History and Fuel Economy Surveys--unlike the Reliability Survey, they have no minimum sample.

mkaresh

I've added the EX to the survey. But more participants will be needed before I can provide a result.

If you own an EX, your participation is very much needed.

SprayTech
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 2004 Infiniti G35X

I joined in your Data Base collecting on the EX35 .I am a new here and a new EX35 Journey AWD owner of 1 month , but its not my first Infiniti , My wife drives a 2004 G35X sedan I purchased new .

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I'm signed up... for my 2008 EX-35 and my 2003 GMC Sierra Denali.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

We're up to 36 owners for the EX35. So a full result for the EX35 is likely for August, but not certain. A few additional participants could make the difference.

Car: 09 G37s, 08 EX35 Journey RWD, 06 Honda S2000, 04 Acura TSX,

I just signed up.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

We've got an excellent group of EX owners participating already...but more would be even better!

Riker2k
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Signed up as well. Hope it helps!

Colin

bonzai_can
Car: Infiniti EX35

Likewise ... one comment though; it doesn't factor in the different fuel grades people may be using from what I can tell. I have been experimenting with 89, 91, 92, 94 RON, etc depending on what I can find in my area and seeing how the economy compares. Whether I used 91, 92, 94 doesn't seem to matter. 89 sucks though especially in city driving ... haven't tried 96 yet but will give it a go.My best mpg so far (only 2000km in on a 2008 EX35 AWD) is 17.9 ... hardly worth boasting about but hopefully will improve. Last week's was 14.6 mpg which was just sad... and that's me trying to be economical with a light foot ... it dropped to 11mpg for much of the tank!

mkaresh

I've been thinking of adding a question about fuel type. Sounds like I should include octane.

With an engine designed to run on premium, using regular will usually harm fuel economy.

On the subject of the reliability survey, we currently have 24 responses, with 25 being the minimum sample size. I'll be sending special emails to EX owners who signed up by haven't responded until we get that last response...or Tuesday, whichever comes first

mkaresh

Ended up with 26 responses, for a full result.

So far the repair rate appears worse than average, but not much worse. About where the 2007 G35 was when new. Similarly, I'd expect a lower repair rate once the initial bugs are out of the way, and on the 2009. We'll see in future updates whether this is the case.

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Additional participants always helpful.

aft981
Car: Infiniti EX35

I hope people are completing this survey correctly??!

I just did for this month, and was a little shocked to see how poorly the EX seems to be faring! Have people really had that many problems with their EX?? I've had mine just over 3 months now, have put 12,000 miles on it and it's not missed a beat.

It's actually in for a service right now, I just got off the phone with them and they replaced the fuel pump. I didn't ask them to do that, does Infiniti have a recall out on it? I've read about the humming noise on here, but to be quite honest, I never really noticed it on mine.

ecosse
Car: 2008 EX35 (Black Obsidian with Chestnut Leather)

I updated my information - no problems after 16k km and 6 months.

I hope that helps to bring down the high frequency of problems.However, its not surprising given that the forum members being encouraged to register are those who are reporting the many problems with fuel pumps, leaky sunroofs, etc. etc.

I hope I'm representative of the silent majority who are delighted with their cars and experiencing no problems.

mkaresh

The way the research process is structured, people cannot report old problems.

Also, note that while forums are a key source of participants for many models, the reported repair rate is low in many cases.

In general, when the reported repair rate is relatively high, it is because the model truly has a relatively high problem rate.

This said, it is important to look at the actual number--and not just the relative ranking. In the August results, we had an average of three months of data on each vehicle, and the reported problem rate was just under one repair trip per vehicle PER YEAR. Do the math, and you'll find this means that only about one in four owners had reported a repair so far. Three in four had had no repairs.

So you should not conclude from this result that the EX is having a lot of problems, only that problems are even more rare with the average vehicle.
Modified by mkaresh at 4:41 AM 10/10/2008

mkaresh

Those results posted. The EX35 has had a high repair rate lately thanks to one common failure: the fuel pump.

Has this weakness been addressed? Hopefully some recently produced 2008s and 2009s can get involved, so we can find out.

For the details, and to sign up:

mkaresh

This month's survey is the last before the February results. Additional participants would be very helpful. Especially for the 2009--but are they even out yet? Infiniti hasn't released pricing.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year for the 2008 EX35, 122, is again worse than average. Fuel pump failures are the most commonly reported repair.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. Additional participants would be helpful.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the Inffiniti EX35:

Infiniti EX35 reliability comparisons

jmess

Just a small point, the fuel pumps aren't failing in the traditional sense. They just make more noise during engine start up than the replacement pump.

302@12psi

Correct it's not like the FP's are leaving anyone stranded.

mkaresh

jmess wrote:Just a small point, the fuel pumps aren't failing in the traditional sense. They just make more noise during engine start up than the replacement pump.
Thank you for clarifying this. I'll attach a comment to the result.

mkaresh

Updated results soon. Additional participants always helpful.

Car reliability research

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

I signed up last year and find it to be a very good site. I added all my cars to that site. What worries me is that, did everyone see the results of the 2008 EX35 repair status? It is very high.

Mike, Can you please shed some light on what is actually going on? I thought that the EX35 is suppose to be very realiable. Thanks.

jmess

A lot of owners logged the noisy fuel pump. The survey doesn't distinguish between trips to the dealer for actual failures and trips related to customer satisfaction replacements/adjustments.

cjre1

True with what you stated, however, having such a high number with the amount of mileage that people are reporting is very upsetting.

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through the end of March. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 96 repairs per 100 cars per year, the EX35 remains worse than average, largely because of common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. The more participants we have, the better the information we can provide.

Infiniti EX35 reliability comparisons

cjre1

Thanks. I signed up for this over a year ago when I had my Mazda 2007 S GT. It is an awesome site.

I can't believe how bad the EX35 did on this site. If it was not for the recalls, then I would hope that the performance rating were higher.

Why don't you put on this site an area for recalls/TSB's, so it doesnt affect the overall number of repairs/performance as it does now.

Just an idea becuase I think the EX35 is a very well built car and is strong, but looking at this on the site looks very bad. If people see this, they will not buy the EX35. I won't if I saw this, because I would not know this was due to two recalls and not the product itself. Any thoughts on this?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”