Infiniti Bose Systems

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

If I buy a new (or used) car sometime in the future, I want the stock stereo to be as close to perfect as possible. I generally like the system in my '92 Q, although I have to keep the bass turned most of the way (or all the way) down to avoid the splat-splat effect.

I test drove a G35 yesterday (sport susp, bose) and also played with the stereo on a G35 without the bose system. I wasn't too impressed with either.... the bose has a nice rich sound, but the bass is overwhelming unless it's set to -3 or lower (range of +5 to -5). The base stereo lacked the rich sound of the bose in my '92 Q, but it did handle the bass a lot better -- much cleaner.

(Both systems made the rear-view mirror vibrate, even at modest volumes).

Most of the music I like to listen to when I'm driving falls under the house/dance/techno/trance variety... and it seems the music type makes a difference. The G35 bose sounded great on the hard rock or soft rock stations, and of course public radio sounds fine on most stereos. But when I put my CDs in the G35 changer (glaciers move faster, BTW), the bose system freaked out....

I'm guessing that maybe it has something to do with the subwoofer? Would it have problems handling fast-paced music because of its size? Or maybe the bose system just has too many speaker competing with each other? I think that more speakers isn't always better.

If someone could help me understand how these systems are different... I know that most of the newer models have subwoofers, and that seems to be the trend.

aemikeg

Pretty much every stock stereo I've heaard that touts itself as high end or upscale has a totally exagerated bass presence. One reason is because a lot of factory subs are too small and can't play low frequencies well. They boost the output in the upper bass to create the perception of bass. Some music emphasizes this. Another reason is that a lot of conumers equate bass with high performance. More is better. Bottom line: Maybe 5% of the people want something realistic (accurate). The manufacturers can't market to such a minority. Go to a good audio shop and get the attention (and the sound) you deserve.:D

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Drove an I30 loaner for a week with the "new" Bose system. In a word, it was pathetic! I don't know if it's the lack of sound deadening or just poor speaker placement, but it sounded no better than the factory Furd system in my 2001 Interceptor.

They just don't make 'em like they used to...

JSP_CPA
Car: SCUBA, movies, drinking...

I'll agree with you on that AZH. My last two loaners left the same impression on me. Luckily, I'm getting my newly rebuilt fronts back from BOSE this week :) Got the CD changer back from Sony last week and it's working great...even plays all my CDR backups (not bad for a circa 1990 CD player)

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Anyone know anything about Lexus stereo systems? Like the Nakamichi (sp?) in the older LS400s?

I agree that more bass is not always better. I know the knock on Bose is "all highs, no lows"... which I generally like, but when they try to add to the low end, guess they don't do it right.

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

The bose system in my 94 sounds pretty good very spaceous sound and such maybe thats because I have 6 speakers and a different head unit I dont know but it sounds alot better then my GF's '02 neon

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Yeah, that overloaded, distorted bass gets old after awhile.

I wonder if the Mark Levinson setup from late model LS' is ever available from a junk yard? I would consider that, but locating the cabin (dash) mounted cd changer might pose a problem for a first gen Q.

I find the Bose in my 1995 Q's adequate for background cruising. A lot better than my Acura (Alpine head unit) Bose in my Legend.

DenverQ

This is what I am going to do.......I am going to get a XM ready deck Prob a alpine where you can adjust the frequency that goes to each speaker then install a bazooka or somehting similar for the more low end bass then complet the system with the other XM components. I will keep you all posted on how it works out:ylsuper

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Tory,

Don't look for fidelity (accuracy) with a bazooka bass. However, you will get a nod from the Civics with 4 12" woofers and a trunk full of batteries and amplifiers.

You may want to look at Sirius as it has far fewer commercial stations. That could change at any time. I will not pay a monthly fee to listen to commercials myself.

I did see a Sony (?) unit with a whopping 10GB hard drive for in car install. I hope to inspect it when it comes in to see if it can interface with my computer via ethernet and if it can handle a faster and larger IBM 2.5" hard drive.

DenverQ

Yeah!! I saw that one as well have you seen the kenwood music keg? 17gb i think WOW

So if crappy fidelity what if something like 1 10in and a 100 watt amp?

DenverQ

Yeah!! I saw that one as well have you seen the kenwood music keg? 17gb i think WOW

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Probably better. The question is how much interior space do you want to sacrifice to tunes? Also, if you start running big amps, you will need another battery.

I also read that non-standard power draws void the Infiniti warranty on factory alternators. Seems like one 2x100 watt RMS amplifier would not kill it. Check the current draw at a resonable sound pressure level. Don't want to waste money on hearing aid batteries in the future!

Hmmm....I wonder if hearing aids have their own board?

I see the latest IBM 2.5" hard drives are up to 60GB at 5400rpm.

By the way, when do I get my strut bars, etc. under my signature?

Sopdadope

I don't know how else to say it but if you hear an aftermarket system, you'll realize how unimpressive the BOSE system really is. I know a couple of other people who have 1st gen Q45's and when they take a ride in my car, they never wanna leave!

IMO the Bose system is very inadequate in the bass department. I remember turning up my the volume on my favorite dance CD's and those 6x9 paper cones went BLAAAAT BLAAT. Boy was it annoying. Not only that, but Tape format isn't cutting it anymore. I now have a wonderful Eclipse headunit, along with an indash EQ that let's me change the ambience, surround settings such as "Theatre," "Live," "Dance" and changes the textures of the music by genre "Jazz," Rock""Pop" wow.

Even when I first started out with a mild, inexpensive system, it was way better than the BOSE. I say, if you're going to add a new deck and a bazooka bass tube, why not just go ahead and replace all four speakers? If you're totally content with the Bose unit, that's fine too but just give an aftermarket system a try.

BTW, I just took some pictures of my car + system, I hope to have them posted soon.

DenverQ

Im pretty sure they changed the stereo in 94 becasue I have 6 speakers. I have a couple of friends with aftermarket systems and it just doesnt sound as complete with theres you can hear where each sound is coming from IE highs from the front and lows from the back with mine its like the whole thing mixes in the middle of the car maytbe i havent heard a good enough system

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Tory,

I have to agree, the later Bose is fairly good at medium to low volumes.

I do notice there is a resonance somewhere about 440Hz to 1KHz that is disturbing.

But the immersion you describe is true. The sound focus is very sensitive to EQ adjustments, no doubt aided by the A-pillar tweeter location. Better quality speakers and amplifiers would help (and require a new head unit to optimize), but not until after I restore them to pristeen stock condition and upgrade brakes and wheels.

DenverQ

I figure since it sounds awsome (to me) if i add a head unit that I can adjust more preciesly then I figure it should sound even better, but if it doesnt work then ill just return and such no loss but a good learning experience

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Tory,

The head unit is unique in its output to the amplified speakers.

I think there is an impedence matching adapter. Do confirm before you commit.

aemikeg

A decent 7" component speaker set (like Focal Utopia 180W) will fit easily into a 94 and look stock. The sound from these speakers, powered by a decent amp, will scare the Bose system and its cheasy little wannabe speakers all the way back to the GM cars that deserve it. Don't be afraid to change headunits. A good deck will get the most out of the stock Bose or any aftermarket speakers for that matter.:beerchug

ardvarkus

aemikeg wrote: Don't be afraid to change headunits. A good deck will get the most out of the stock Bose or any aftermarket speakers for that matter.:beerchug
Don't be afraid- just plan on finding an appropriate interface between the new headunit and the speakers....and then why spend $$ on matching to the speakers when the $$ can go into REPLACING the speakers?

Oh, I have no doubt someone can connect up wires until it appears the new head unit works with the old speakers... but what does it sound like?

IMHO, the speakers are the problem, especially after 8+ years- just too little left to drive with any fidelity, especially if it is bass-intensive. In my book, the weakest link is the speakers- but you really should upgrade the SYSTEM not just parts.

A

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Good to see Adam here with us!

ardvarkus

Yeah-

I've been traveling for the last week or so.. NY, DC, Boston, Dallas, Houston in 6 days (and I live in CA)... Not fun, and no time to post.. I'd lurked for a few days.

Adam

DenverQ

This is what I am going to use

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERNISAH4

They also have one that will accept 50 watts per channel (i think)

QShip

Sounds like you've been very busy Adam.

Sopdadope

ardvarkus wrote:Yeah-

I've been traveling for the last week or so.. NY, DC, Boston, Dallas, Houston in 6 days (and I live in CA)... Not fun, and no time to post.. I'd lurked for a few days.

Adam
I hear ya on that one. Over the past month and a half, I've spent a good 15k miles on the road (drove to CA for my sister's graduation and back going through Buffalo, Cleveland, Chitown, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Vegas, Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Columbus and then went on road trips to Jersey, Virginia for car shows). Trekking across the country is really a love/hate thing, it seems to take forever but when I'm on the road, I forget about all the crap in the world.

Adam, next time your in the Boston area, we should meet up. I know a couple of Infiniti guys, we could do a little Infiniti get-together. That applies to anyone else in the Northeast.

ardvarkus

Cool. Beats the airport-rental car-hotel-meeting-airport thing.

Adam

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Just do what I did. Scrap the BOSE system and put in an Alpine 4-channel amp, a Rockford Fosgate Punch-45 amp, two 12"s, 4 5x7's and 2 6x9's. That should take care of it :)

ardvarkus

DenverQ wrote:This is what I am going to use

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERNISAH4

They also have one that will accept 50 watts per channel (i think)
Should work fine. Note that one that will take 50Watts (or 1000 for that matter) is a waste of money: This unit converts the speaker level input down to a line input to drive the Bose Amps located out at each speaker.... one analogy is throwing a bucket of water onto a steel wire or a cup of water- same amount of water hanging on the wire.

I'm fixin' to scrap my Bose if I ever find the time. Problem is finding space for the speakers and keeping a quality looking interior...

Adam

PS Another source:

http://www.soundgate.com/rad-repl.html

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

Does anyone know where I can get one of those damned gray knobs that go on the bass, treble and fade tuners on the BOSE console of the 90-93 Q45? It's such a pain to stick your fingers in there to turn the knobs.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

They're relatively inexpensive from any of the dealerships - I think less than $5 for a set of all four. I'd get some the next time you place an order with Scottsdale or Lisle...

Heath

aemikeg

Garbage in garbage out. The Bose headunits are not hi fi. they are band-limited (measure the output and see what they can do beyond 10-15k and what happens below 40 hz. ) they don't play cds (unless you have the arcaic changer, can anybody here comment on the advances made in d to a conversion over the past 10 years?). First thing you notice when UPGRADING to a good aftermarket deck (interface with decoupling transformers for about 50 extra install bucks) is better bass definition and extended high frequency response. Probably more volume too. As for the cost of the interface. Make a deal with the shop: When you buy new speakers and an amp refund the interface. Done. My opinon is that one of the greatest machines on earth deserves a somewhat realistic soundsystem. Even in 1990 Bose stuff had been in the Vette for 7 years. The concept was neat: Specially equalized speakers with dedicated amplifiers designed to compensate for the environment all the way down to the fabric in the vehicle. Problem is no eq is going to make a 4" driver produce accurate low frequencies without distorting the rest of the range. I'm certain that's why those little Bose "cubes" have that fake subwoofer to go with them. Heck, I've listened to Bose home systems, wave radios and car stereos. I still don't get the hype. I think I know the reason they sell Bose in Circuit City and shopping malls. Go to a real audio store and you will too. No offense....

Return to “General Chat”